Login

russian armor

The Awesome Sniper Car

21 Apr 2013, 10:21 AM

Yeah the sniper car is weak as crap, to bring them in the front-line would just be suicide (although very rarely have I lost a sniper, usually the car goes down and you get the sniper out on retreat).

You use sniper cars pretty much as you use snipers:

- keep them at max (sniper) range
- keep them moving but stop to fire (not sure if this makes a difference but it seems to improve accuracy)
- kite, kite and be wary of flanks. As the other guy says, surround it and the scout cars die really fast.

Where they are so strong is that they essential give you a super mobile sniper team in a protective shell with extended vision and stealth detect. Plus if you have even half-decent micro (mine is not the best) they can still be really difficult to deal with because your snipers can be all over the field.

Bug fixing this out would be easy I think if the sniper died when the car explodes - say 2 men are always lost from the squad when the car dies which is fine for most squads but death for sniper. If this was the case then risk of losing both the sniper and the car to one bad engagement or mine etc. would be way too high.
21 Apr 2013, 19:27 PM

if you get a flamer close=bye bye sniper

Same if you manage a direct mortar shot
21 Apr 2013, 20:06 PM

tbh, I have had a flamer on it and they don't die as fast as you think. Sure they will die but it's not like a split-second gg, you have time and I have got both cars & both snipers out from some nasty spots.

From the games I have played, it's tanks (obv) and upgunned ACs which really hurt. Not found infantry much of a problem
22 Apr 2013, 01:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2013, 20:06 PMOllyL
tbh, I have had a flamer on it and they don't die as fast as you think. Sure they will die but it's not like a split-second gg, you have time and I have got both cars & both snipers out from some nasty spots.

From the games I have played, it's tanks (obv) and upgunned ACs which really hurt. Not found infantry much of a problem

maybe you got some bad luck, for me I've killed the snipers inside multiple times with a flamer.
22 Apr 2013, 08:13 AM

You're misunderstanding me - I'm a predominantly Soviet player, I use them I don't fight against them.
22 Apr 2013, 17:10 PM

I am just surprised that the squad is basically fine after the damn thing explodes in a fireball lol. You should loose most of the squad if you loose the Scoutcar. There need to be consequences for loosing something not just "Okay i'll build another lol"
22 Apr 2013, 19:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2013, 17:10 PMRogers
I am just surprised that the squad is basically fine after the damn thing explodes in a fireball lol. You should loose most of the squad if you loose the Scoutcar. There need to be consequences for loosing something not just "Okay i'll build another lol"

i agree if you don't get your squads out of the car/transport the guys inside should take damage as of now its got the suicide run written all over it in coh it was like this didn't really like this.

also i think for the support infantry inside vehicles to fire it should have to be stopped or alteast that way for snipers. have you ever tried to shoot anything or throw a football out a car while moving much less while its bouncing up and down thru craters. (sure you can throw it but i dare you to hit a target.) maybe make it so you can only shoot out of a car on a road but not anywhere else. or have a speed cap so you can only shoot while going x speed with vehicle.

especially since coh2 is going for a realism angle. :P
22 Apr 2013, 21:53 PM
Patrion 14

Balance > Gameplay > Realism

I listed quite a few good, tested counters to the sniper scout car in my first comment. The fragile nature of the scout car provides for a lot of counters. Charging it from one direction is going to result in failure, but coming from 2 with 2 grens, will not only kill the scout car but sometimes also the sniper on retreat. Personally, I've come to like the panzerfaust mortar combination.

If you find yourself unable to counter it early on a upgunned scout car is an effective counter able to pursue the fleeing sniper team. Flamethrowers are also very effective to get rid of the snipers inside (if you flank, that's what truesight is for).

One should also not forget that 80 mp is rather cost effective, the 20 fuel this early into the game is however anything but.

I find the proposal to damage the crew when the vehicle is destroyed interesting. However, if it was to be implemented for the sake of realism all troop carriers should behave in the same way.
22 Apr 2013, 22:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Balance > Gameplay > Realism

I listed quite a few good, tested counters to the sniper scout car in my first comment. The fragile nature of the scout car provides for a lot of counters. Charging it from one direction is going to result in failure, but coming from 2 with 2 grens, will not only kill the scout car but also the sniper on retreat. Personally I've come to like the panzerfaust mortar combination.

If you find yourself unable to counter it early on a upgunned scout car is an effective counter able to pursue the fleeing sniper team. Flamethrowers are also very effective to get rid of the snipers inside (if you flank, that's what truesight is for).

One should also not forget that 80 mp is rather cost effective, the 20 fuel this early into the game is however anything but.

I find the proposal to damage the crew when the vehicle is destroyed interesting. However, if it were implemented for the sake of realism all troop carriers should behave in the same way.

nah realism would include the whole squad dieing every time b/c that is what realism would pretty much be. (given the massive explosion.) i mean just taking some hp damage and/or maybe some squad member lost. and i was referring to all vehicles that can carry infantry not just 1. (that would be bad even for gaemplay.)

i put the last part in as more of a jab at relic and there marketing crew which i think should have never done such a thing it was stupid. refering to this:
22 Apr 2013, 22:28 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2013, 22:17 PMWiFiDi

nah realism would include the whole squad dieing every time b/c thats what realism would pretty much be. i mean just taking some hp damamge and/or maybe some squadmember lost. and i was refering to all vehicles that can carry infantry not just 1. (that would be bad even for gaemplay.)

Might be a nice addition.

Thanks for the picture. They might have exaggerated a bit there ;). Still, coh2 and 1 are rather realistic, comparatively speaking.

Edit:
I thought of another way to more successfully set up a flank. The reason why people sometimes may have problems getting rid of the early scout car might be that they're not enough used to flanking or, which seems more likely, they're lacking the time to set up a proper flank. To address the second scenario I've found that the slow fire rate of the sniper and the fact that snipers regularly will fail to hit targets in buildings (I'll have to investigate this in more detail) could

1) bait the scout car to try to snipe the pioneer in the building (low reinforce cost)
2) buy you time to set up a flank
3) keep your manpower loss at a minimum
25 Apr 2013, 19:17 PM

Sniper car is an idiotic idea , there are only so many ways it can ruin game ballance , the quicker its removed the better , ( personally i have been countering this effectively so far but it does not take a genius to see that in the hands of a very good player it can be unstoppable ) .
25 Apr 2013, 22:36 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 19:17 PMkafrion
Sniper car is an idiotic idea , there are only so many ways it can ruin game ballance , the quicker its removed the better , ( personally i have been countering this effectively so far but it does not take a genius to see that in the hands of a very good player it can be unstoppable ) .

The scout car is a strategical choice like the flamethrower half-track. Both can be powerful if the opposing side neglects to react accordingly and counter it. The scout car like the flamethrower half-track are effective counters against heavy infantry play and both can be hard to counter if no proper planing is done.

A good player will never let you kill any of his units regardless if it is a scout car or a pioneer squad, it is what distinguishes very good from average players.
25 Apr 2013, 23:07 PM

The scout car is a strategical choice like the flamethrower half-track. Both can be powerful if the opposing side neglects to react accordingly and counter it. The scout car like the flamethrower half-track are effective counters against heavy infantry play and both can be hard to counter if no proper planing is done.

A good player will never let you kill any of his units regardless if it is a scout car or a pioneer squad, it is what distinguishes very good from average players.

Yes but when you combine a unit that is designed to be fast with a unit that is designed to shout acurately from a long range , you effectively counter both their weaknesses , the snipercar can snipe kite cap and easily get away if the situation becomes tricky and its not even a doctrinal ability( unlike say the mortar halftrack which seems to be well designed so far . Also who says snipers counter only heavy inf , first of all they fire really quickly and when your opponent flees he can potentially be killed by the 50 cal , all the above make the snipecar a unit that is a lot more useful than the flamehalftrack in the expense of survivability which is not really relevant since it wont be in the thick of the battle and what if you step on a mine well you just loose a scout car , flame halftrack still has to charge in to deal damage which puts it in harms way and can be tweaked to be less powerful as has been suggested in other threads and when it dies which can happen to a mine/at gren and a zis or even the occasional t17 its a big resources and time sink not to mention that the munitions you dont use to upgrade it have a considerable impact on your early game .
Finally the snipercar cant be easilly fixed cause any nerf would affect 2 otherwise balanced uinits
26 Apr 2013, 00:45 AM
Patrion 14

Let me comment on a few points you raised.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 23:07 PMkafrion

Also who says snipers counter only heavy inf , first of all they fire really quickly and when your opponent flees he can potentially be killed by the 50 cal

1) With heavy infantry play I'm referring to a type of strategy (heavy or prolonged tier 1) that relies manly on infantry. The sniper is a counter to infantry and did never kill or damage anything else to my knowledge although both the Soviet and Osterheer snipers elect to fire at armoured vehicles in their infinite wisdom if no hold fire command is issued ;)

2) The firing rate is about the same as in vcoh. In the interest of an informed conversation I will follow up on this and run a few tests to determine the exact average fire rate of the Soviet sniper in comparison to the American sniper (ranked up once from shooting volks) from coh1. Expect the results by 8 pm GMT+1.

Edit: As promised here are my results. I lined up 3 grenadiers and a Soviet sniper. It took 1 minute and 28 seconds to fire 10 shots. In vcoh the American sniper fired 10 shots in 1 minute 30 seconds. Both therefore have an average fire rate of 1 shot per 9 seconds.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 23:07 PMkafrion

what if you step on a mine well you just loose a scout car

1) Charging and killing a sniper even on retreat is possible. The sniper squad can also be killed by flamethrowers while still inside of the vehicle (I listed possible counters here and here, I have come to like the stalling tactic presented here to give me a bit more time for a good flank, since snipers miss units in buildings a lot)

2) One also needs to be aware of the implications: 2 built scout cars due to the fact that you destroyed one equals 40 fuel which are not used to tech.

3) If the scout car drives over a mine and there is no unit near it to execute a flank, the scout car is in the wrong part of the map and is not inflicting any damage.
2 May 2013, 22:05 PM

its like humvees with pathfinders all over again :(

LoL, first thing that popped in to my mind when I encountered them to :D

Dont mind snipers being able to shoot from the cars, but with no penalty?
Thats just wrong, very wrong!
They should not have the spotting ability, and suffer a hefty accuracy,range and damage reduction if placed in a car. So should the flamers IMO.
3 May 2013, 20:51 PM

Relic should change it so that heavy weapons such as LMGs, Flamethrowers, and sniper rifles can only fire out of a clowncar while it's stationary. That would make more sense and add an interesting microing element. Furthermore, Panzerfausts shouldn't cause engine crits, and rifle nades and at nades should be dodgeable and cause engine crits.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 45
Germany 671
Russian Federation 36
Netherlands 15
Netherlands 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L