Login

russian armor

The Awesome Sniper Car

17 Apr 2013, 19:22 PM

So the last few games I have been experimenting with the sniper car and so far I've had a lot of fun with it. My build order has been:

-Conscript
-Engineer
-Rax (build with second engineer)
-Scout Car
-Flamer on Engineer 1 (when you have munis)
-Sniper
-Scout Car
-Sniper
-Infantry Company
-Guard Rifle
-T3 or T4 depending on taste and fuel

Basically you cap with your conscript + first engy whilst teching T1 with your second engy. Sometimes your flamer pops when the first scout car hits so you make a flamer car and try and roast some of his units (but be careful not to lose the car).

Once your sniper is built you ditch the engineer and pick up the first sniper and move the sniper car just behind your conscript/flamer blob and try and kill some stuff whilst stalling for the second sniper car. Once you have two you just kite around, de-crewing his mgs and mortars and killing as many infantry as you can. Remember to stay out of faust range (just reverse back when you see the faust animation). Try and keep your engys close so you can heal up any damage your sniper cars sustain.

You build a guard rifle next to give you some AT against his light vehicles and stall out till you can tech some tanks. If you've done well then often you've drained enough manpower that he won't be ready for your tanks when they hit.

The main trouble I've encountered is when they spams ACs but the sniper cars + blob are sometimes enough to fight them off.

If you lose a sniper car then just retreat the sniper and build her a new car.
17 Apr 2013, 19:28 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I just can't believe that Relic hasn't learned anything from the Kangaroo debacle from vCoH. Units being able to shoot out of moving vehicles are very very strong. If CoH2 aims to be so realistic.. Then why on earth can a sniper kill soldiers easily from a moving Haltrack?! It's a dangerous design, I don't want another Roo-like disaster as in vCoH.
17 Apr 2013, 19:31 PM

remember, the scout car will also reveal enemy snipers... and snipers obviously can not shoot ppl out of the halftracks/scout cars MVGame
17 Apr 2013, 19:37 PM

snipers are the worst possible counter to the sniper car. If they build snipers then it can sometimes be all over right there
17 Apr 2013, 20:00 PM

I wonder if the fix for this is actually allowing snipers to snipe troops out of vehicles. It would really be hard to micro your sniper car away from a sniper which you do not know is there.

Disregarding this - this sounds like a too solid strat in the early-game.
17 Apr 2013, 20:26 PM
Benefactor 115

its like humvees with pathfinders all over again :(
17 Apr 2013, 20:32 PM

Ooh, Humvees with Pathfinder and 4 Missile Defenders... can kill even the heaviest tanks and largest infantry army! :P

Not to mention the Combat Chinook...
17 Apr 2013, 20:37 PM
Benefactor 115

I hope Generals 2 will be as busted as zero hour. It was fun to play!

Sorry to go off topic.

I think they should further reduce the accuracy of infantry in M3s
17 Apr 2013, 20:44 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Should be insanely low accuracy. I'd rather see them remove the ability to shoot out of any moving vehicle though.
17 Apr 2013, 20:48 PM
Benefactor 115

that would be cool as well.
17 Apr 2013, 21:12 PM

Infantry firing from within moving vehicles was never a standard strategy because of the exposure of the infantry in the vehicle and the inability to accurately fire on the move. The full protection of infantry in the vehicle + full accuracy is the crux of the problem. Infantry should essentially be forced to dismount in combat, with shoot-on-the move being basically just a tiny bit of bonus damage.
17 Apr 2013, 21:21 PM

Actually the infantry is already taking damage in the M3.
17 Apr 2013, 22:17 PM

If the car is moving, the accuracy should be really low, but if it is stationary...there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to fire from the car.

18 Apr 2013, 06:55 AM

In http://coh-moderncombat.com/CoH2Stats/Soviets/Weapons/mosin_nagant_sniper_rifle_mp.html taken from the game files
there is a modifier called Moving Accuracy
It is unclear though if it only works on burst weapons as it is listed in the same section as burst.
Is so this should be extended on all weapon modes reducing the hit chance by 50% for units firing out of moving scout cars.
20 Apr 2013, 08:00 AM

That reminds me the oldschool 8-Pathfinders-nook snipe the fuck out of Inf generals blobs

OK, that must be remove from CoH2 IMO
20 Apr 2013, 16:16 PM

Should be insanely low accuracy. I'd rather see them remove the ability to shoot out of any moving vehicle though.

Halftracks are fine, they come at a stage where you can counter them. Scout car + flamer was the first thing I abused though. It's a bit silly. Scoutcars should be stronger versions than the VCoh Jeep.

Troops should be unable to shoot out of them, or they should be able to get shot at.
20 Apr 2013, 20:40 PM

Troops can get shot at and sniped when in the open-topped scout cars.

Not checked the Russian half-tracks yet.
20 Apr 2013, 22:18 PM

I think infantry in vehicles should take damage. As in; a vehicle takes 100% of the damage it normally takes, and when a infantry squad jumps into it, it still takes as much damage while the squad inside also takes some damage. That should be the con for putting infantry in a vehicle IMO. :p
Joe
20 Apr 2013, 22:25 PM

I think infantry in vehicles should take damage. As in; a vehicle takes 100% of the damage it normally takes, and when a infantry squad jumps into it, it still takes as much damage while the squad inside also takes some damage. That should be the con for putting infantry in a vehicle IMO. :p

I'm pretty sure it already works this way with small arms fire. It might be nice to see it happen with tank shells/explosives. I have however noticed when the thing blows up my troops are rarely severely injured.

The problem with roos was that the infantry accuracy would be counted as standing still if they were in a vehicle that was moving. I don't know if they've fixed that but I sure hope they do.
21 Apr 2013, 06:20 AM
Patrion 14

There seems to be quite some confusion about the scout car. I'd suggest playing with the Russians and trying the described strategy yourself.

Here are some of the basic facts:
-170 hp, although, I think that's been lowered and the stats on the new stat website do not reflect that change
-infantry inside do take damage and can quite effectively be burned out with flamethrowers
-the 20 fuel will entail that the Russian player will, for the time being, leave his conscripts weakened by forgoing updates for them or will slow down his technological advancement
-the scout car can easily be countered by an at mine, 2 panzerfausts, 1 panzerfaust to the rear and a bit of small arms or mg fire, 1 panzerfaust and a mortar barrage in the path of the now slowly (in most cases in reverse) retreating scout car, 2 mortar shells, 1 pack shot and a bit of small arms
-the scout car sniper combo is effective in some situations like the heavy tier1 strategy currently pioneered by Inverse since the manpower bleed can help to even out the odds. However taking into account that the heavy tier1 entails 3 Grenadiers on the field, the scout car is vulnerable to a well executed flank

-it is also important to keep in mind that putting a sniper in a scout car is a trade-off since you sacrifice the ability to target individual units for more mobility. If you choose to attack a specific unit the scout car will close the gap for it's own weapon to engage which is only slightly higher than the range of the panzerfaust. Disembarking the sniper team to get around this problem opens up a window of oportunity for the Germans to charge in, since both the sniper and the scout car will be stationary and not firing for a short moment. The same applies for boarding.

I've found and used plenty of counters to it, and there are undoubtedly more that I forgot to mention. Suffice to say that trying to get it from the front with one squad will not do it, you have to have a flank ready.

Drawing a parallel to the kangaroo is unwarranted since the kangaroos main problem was its high health and armor in the early stages, both of which were addressed in patches to the extend that the kangaroo went almost extinct ;).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 34
South Africa 1
Germany 729

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak