Login

russian armor

Where are we on recon support? for 2v2 at least

23 Sep 2014, 03:37 AM

I'm a little puzzled by this commander that I just got through war spoils. The I&R pathfinders I definitely see the use of, and having extra sight on riflemen makes them better spotters for various units like Jacksons. The recon plan is whatever. The Greyhound is pretty cool IMO - protects you from OH rushing a scout car and it's good against infantry and snipers. Is it worth it over the M20?

The final ability seems like it isn't really that usable unless you are heavily winning or for some reason have lost a huge part of your army and have floated 900 MP.

To me it just feels like airborne has more to offer in general - the P47 strike is a nice late game ability that helps you take on axis heavies, and you have much easier access to paras.

23 Sep 2014, 03:58 AM

Recon Support is almost certainly the weakest commander of the US forces.

I wrote a guide for it and I like it but like you said the Airborne Company far more robust and reliable.

The biggest issues:
  • Forward Observers, the Riflemen Sight Boost Passive, is just not appreciable. Stand still in cover and note how much your vision range increases. It's like... 35 vision to 40? ~15%? Not impressive.
  • Recon Sweep is something you can get from the Major for free. The Major's call-in plane has less vision but it is cheaper.
  • The Greyhound is arguably worse than the M20 and always arrives later than an aggressive M20. The M20 is just a really good unit. The Greyhound is fine but tends to arrive late.
  • The Airborne Combat group is trash like you said. Expensive. Unreliable. Pure manpower sink in an army that suffers for manpower.

It suffers.

The strengths are the I&R Pathfinders and the Greyhound in the right circumstances.

Hopefully it will see some boosts in due time.

23 Sep 2014, 09:45 AM

Recon Support is almost certainly the weakest commander of the US forces.

I wrote a guide for it and I like it but like you said the Airborne Company far more robust and reliable.

The biggest issues:
  • Forward Observers, the Riflemen Sight Boost Passive, is just not appreciable. Stand still in cover and note how much your vision range increases. It's like... 35 vision to 40? ~15%? Not impressive.
  • Recon Sweep is something you can get from the Major for free. The Major's call-in plane has less vision but it is cheaper.
  • The Greyhound is arguably worse than the M20 and always arrives later than an aggressive M20. The M20 is just a really good unit. The Greyhound is fine but tends to arrive late.
  • The Airborne Combat group is trash like you said. Expensive. Unreliable. Pure manpower sink in an army that suffers for manpower.

It suffers.

The strengths are the I&R Pathfinders and the Greyhound in the right circumstances.

Hopefully it will see some boosts in due time.

watch spanky play the hound here its the worst nightmare for OKW infantry i see atelast 3 Obers squad wiped , 2 volkds squad wiped, 1 strummis reduced to 1 man squad.

http://www.coh2.org/replay/24523/canister-shot-wins

Its a good use of this commander.
24 Sep 2014, 03:59 AM
Donator 11

Spanky does seem to be the one that seems to be pushing the envelope hardest with this commander.

Even then, you play this doctrine because it's fun not because it's strong. The only thing in the doctrine that you can rely on is pathfinder artillery.
24 Sep 2014, 06:33 AM

Spanky does seem to be the one that seems to be pushing the envelope hardest with this commander.

Even then, you play this doctrine because it's fun not because it's strong. The only thing in the doctrine that you can rely on is pathfinder artillery.

Well i did see in all of spanky's replays that whenever he used up the 900MP for 2 paratrooper squads with AT they almost always droped in with dual bazookas.
25 Sep 2014, 00:39 AM
Patrion 15

After watching Spanky replay I wanted to try that strat and played on Stalingrad.

I really liked that M8 that even wiped a Sturmpioneer squad. I didn't get to use the pathfinders Arty nor the last pack of Paratroopers. Did a bad job with the Stuart though. I got that new bulletin for Paratroopers but coudln't try it yet to see if it really helps.

I had a lot of fun playing with it.
25 Sep 2014, 12:42 PM

This commander is best used against OST, because at 3cp the m8 greyhound has no serious counters from OST except the stationary pak. OKW on the other hand can destroy it with so many early counters including shreks, puma, and p2.

Also the pathfinders ability to scout and drop artillery can be very good against OST defensive play. You can scout paks and mg42 and drop arty on them before they know you are there.
26 Sep 2014, 03:25 AM

What would you guys think of this commander if the combat group came with a crewed AT gun?
29 Sep 2014, 07:05 AM

What would you guys think of this commander if the combat group came with a crewed AT gun?

Better because you can use it right away and worse because you can't give it to your teammate. What I would like to see is the combat group changed:

http://www.coh2.org/topic/24522/airdropped-combat-group-cost-problem/page/1#post_id220152
29 Sep 2014, 08:08 AM

The M8 Greyhound, pathfinder with artillery and vision for riflemen are all very nice.

I enjoy playing with this commander but it really lacks some nice commander-linked tool for the end game.

The paratroopers come way too late and at that point I would rather use the MP on getting some jacksons then getting a 800mp (if i remember correctly) call in of 2 paratrooper squads + an uncrewed AT gun.
Vaz
2 Oct 2014, 11:44 AM

I just got this guy and I've found him the most usefull. USF has a lack of arty and I think the pathfinders offer the cheapest precision strike. I don't find the American vehicles all that good and usually don't make captain, so a 57 is welcome to my build. My only problems are the range for IR pathfinders to call in arty and my use with the greyhound has not been good so far. Wish it dropped mines. The LMG airborne are really really dangerous and the bazooka airborne fire on the move too!
3 Oct 2014, 08:47 AM

Can the Paratrooper Bazooka fire on the move? Or is it only true for the droped Paratroopers via Airdroped combat group? Any clues
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★