Login

russian armor

The big why (GR)

19 Nov 2012, 00:01 AM
Donator 33

So, of course this question has to be dealt with sooner or later.

Why this site, why spread the community thinner - why "leave" GR? What is to be gained?

I'm not trying to create drama or stuff, just trying to understand and be able to make informed decisions :) Site looks nice, cheers!

Edit: guess this should have been in "The Scrap Yard", sorry.
19 Nov 2012, 00:09 AM

...Why not?

Honestly though, I'm curious as well. I'd been wondering if there was some big falling out between higher-up staff on GR and top players that I totally missed or if there's something else going on.

That said, I still like the idea behind this site as a dedicated CoH community. Not that there's anything wrong with GR (imo), just nice to have something *our own*.
19 Nov 2012, 00:18 AM

isnt GR a large community with bunch of other games aswell? just not coh, this one is coh only!:P but why cant just have both websites?:P i dont mind.
19 Nov 2012, 00:30 AM
Benefactor 115

I like turtles.
19 Nov 2012, 00:31 AM

Because they constantly banned me, so I wished for Santa Claus to bring me new website.

Now serious:
Basically as I understood, the staff of SNF felt that the head of GR didn't support SNF enough. (Mainly in sponsorship I guess.)
As the COH community being the biggest on GR, but GR not exploiting the full potential from such a great community; the COH/SNF staff members decided to separate from GR in an attempt to take this game franchise to the next level.

We can only hope they'll be succesful at it.
19 Nov 2012, 00:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2012, 00:31 AM12ocky
Because they constantly banned me, so I wished for Santa Claus to bring me new website.

Now serious:
Basically as I understood, the staff of SNF felt that the head of GR didn't support SNF enough. (Mainly in sponsership I guess.)
As the COH community being the biggest on GR, but GR not exploiting the full potential from such a great community; the COH/SNF staff members decided to separate from GR in an attempt to take this game franchise to the next level.

We can only hope they'll be succesful at it.

Thumbs up! pretty sure they will succeed<444>3 having this big tournament now every sunday will attract lots of new ppl while they having up to 1000 ppl watching them they can just advertise their website:)
19 Nov 2012, 00:51 AM

Yeah I had the same question as well. One thing I did dislike about GR was how invisible-happy the moderators were. Hopefully the same would not strike this website as well.
ntd
19 Nov 2012, 00:53 AM
Admin Black Badge

I could write an 1000 world dossier about why we left but suffice to say that GR couldn't provide the features and flexibility that we felt we needed and we weren't allowed to run the section how we all felt we should have been able to. GR has had a massive impact on the game in the past and I'm sure they'll be a factor in COH2 but we feel confident that we'll be able to provide a better hub and experience for COH2 by starting from scratch code wise. Also, having control over the finances will help us fund more great tournaments/events such as SNF4.
19 Nov 2012, 01:02 AM

GR = mulitple games and hurdles to customize for CoH needs.

CoH2 = built for CoH and desire to customize to promote the game and partner with Relic, etc.
Seb
19 Nov 2012, 01:07 AM
Admin Black Badge

The code on GR wasn't the easiest to get used to/update and I hope our code will be even just bit less crappy so that we can add new features more easily in the long run. Part of that because it was build over IPB, and that experience pushed me to decide to rebuild everything from 0 and not use any kind of existing forum system. Short term took and will still take a lot of time to rebuild a strong base though, we're only getting started here.

Also GR is multigaming, which means some decisions had to be taken with all the games it mind, or couldn't be taken at all because it wouldn't fit here or there. Also priorities weren't necessarily put where we would have liked them to be.

And overall we just feel that a site run by coh fans for coh fans can only be better.

Edit:
Oh also I want to say it was a very mature decision, there hasn't been any issue with other GR staff or anything like that. We all have always been friendly to each other, albeit a bit distant in some cases, but the split wasn't done with any resentment for as far as I know.
Seb
19 Nov 2012, 01:16 AM
Admin Black Badge

Also it was the only way I found to get 12azor unbanned.
19 Nov 2012, 01:20 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2012, 01:16 AMSeb

haha, qft.
19 Nov 2012, 03:06 AM

Say what? Razor is the first to be banned?
19 Nov 2012, 05:30 AM

19 Nov 2012, 05:54 AM

I personally like this split. I found GR to be mostly about CoH, but with smatterings of other small communities. Being able to cater just for CoH can only be better for the community. Kind of like teamliquid is for SC2 and solomid.net for League of Legends.
19 Nov 2012, 09:19 AM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2012, 01:16 AMSeb

Aaaaaaaaand, sold!

Thank you everyone, for the answers. As a simple fan, it is hard to know what is what, and what is or isn't going on :)
19 Nov 2012, 09:37 AM

Yes, I think that with this platform getting a bigger comunity, getting more people to cooperate, play tourny's, write strategy guides and articles, activate themsefes in the comunity, plus being in direct contact with Relic will help CoH2, new and old players to have everything in 1 place :)
19 Nov 2012, 09:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2012, 01:07 AMSeb
The code on GR wasn't the easiest to get used to/update and I hope our code will be even just bit less crappy so that we can add new features more easily in the long run. Part of that because it was build over IPB, and that experience pushed me to decide to rebuild everything from 0 and not use any kind of existing forum system. Short term took and will still take a lot of time to rebuild a strong base though, we're only getting started here.

You can say that again :( But you've built the forums from scratch o_0 Isn't that more effort than is really necessary. Wouldn't some kind of middle ground have been better, building on some pre-built forum framework that was designed to be customisable (unlike IPB).

I'm glad Eupolemos asked this question. Those of us (well me) who are fans of you guys but have worked on GR needed to hear your reasons.

Also quick Q even though it's the wrong place. I see a VOD link, will this be developed by the time SNF happens or will you be posting up the links somewhere. I always miss the live streams and having a single place with the links to downloadable videos was handy.
Seb
19 Nov 2012, 10:06 AM
Admin Black Badge

You can say that again :( But you've built the forums from scratch o_0 Isn't that more effort than is really necessary. Wouldn't some kind of middle ground have been better, building on some pre-built forum framework that was designed to be customisable (unlike IPB).

I'm glad Eupolemos asked this question. Those of us (well me) who are fans of you guys but have worked on GR needed to hear your reasons.

Nice to see you here. :)

We do use Yii framework, and some extensions or modules going with it so I can't really stay it's totally from scratch. But even for half of them, I already see limitations or even had to change some part of their code. :/ It is indeed no forum framework though, but I just hope the effort will be worth it.

At the end of the day, getting used to Yii, and CSS styling (which I hate), were the two most time consuming aspects, not so much creating the basic forum structure, which I think took me around the same time to build as it would have been to get used to yet another framework (for forums) and adapt it. Also the forums how we have build them will be the most easily adaptable to any new content we create requiring posts, such as replays or vods, or news and the pm system which are already up.

Also quick Q even though it's the wrong place. I see a VOD link, will this be developed by the time SNF happens or will you be posting up the links somewhere. I always miss the live streams and having a single place with the links to downloadable videos was handy.

We'll be developing it in a relatively near future, but in the mean time I think the best way would be to check on the twitch channel for past videos, and we'll most likely make a youtube playlist with them too.
19 Nov 2012, 10:07 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Aren't they attached to the twitch.tv/sundaynightfights channel? Should work until the VOD section is done
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★