Login

russian armor

ISU SquadWipe-Foundation

4 Sep 2014, 21:22 PM

Hello comrades,

I am sure some of you guys heard about this.
To me it is important to show, that I do not like squad-wipes from direct fire.
Maybe you think the same way or you may even have ideas to fight it.
Those 1-shoted veteran guys are always a tragic loss to your army.
Sometimes those wipes brake games; at least for your team.

What do you think? I am curious about your opinions, comrades.
4 Sep 2014, 21:37 PM

I'm against squad wipes from any unit besides Sturmtiger or howitzers, but not only ISU does that.

Brumbars and Tigers also achieve some occasional squad wipe. I think is more a problem of the units pathing and behaviour than balance of the tanks.
4 Sep 2014, 21:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2014, 21:37 PMGreeb
I'm against squad wipes from any unit besides Sturmtiger or howitzers, but not only ISU does that.

Brumbars and Tigers also achieve some occasional squad wipe. I think is more a problem of the units pathing and behaviour than balance of the tanks.

pretty much this , unit pathing is so fucked up - they clump together all the way and get reckt
4 Sep 2014, 21:59 PM

pretty much this , unit pathing is so fucked up - they clump together all the way and get reckt

It also doesn't help that the ISU has one of the best aoe radii of any tank at 6. For comparison the brumbar has a max radius of 5 while the KT and IS2 have one of 4. Large aoe radius + small German squads + squad AI makes for rage. Knocking the aoe radius down to 5 might make the unit more bearable while not fundamentally changing what it does.
4 Sep 2014, 22:09 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I just wish it didn't wipe paks so fast....
4 Sep 2014, 23:04 PM

Knocking the aoe radius down to 5 might make the unit more bearable while not fundamentally changing what it does.

+1
4 Sep 2014, 23:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2014, 22:09 PMTobis

this. When it can take out 3 paks without any issue we have a problem.
4 Sep 2014, 23:25 PM

Yeah, it's hard to defend a unit that hard counters it's own medium counters.
4 Sep 2014, 23:28 PM

Typical Soviet player answer: They are fine.
Vaz
4 Sep 2014, 23:31 PM

Might as well include the tigers in on this one
4 Sep 2014, 23:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2014, 21:37 PMGreeb

except ISU does it on the regular. Also a brummbar (lets be honest how often do you actually see one.)and sturm tiger cannot squad wipe from the fog, the ISU's range is way longer, you gotta drive a sturm tiger in pretty close to do anything with it, plus its animation is telegraphed as hell, and it has to reload for a minute. the ISU is in a squad wiping league of its own.
4 Sep 2014, 23:44 PM

Empire: You just need a X-wing flanking the Death Star and it will be annihilated.

Rebels: Yeah, every X-wings were piloted by Skywalker, and at the meantime, all TIE pilot was drunk and the tractor beam went full retarded.
4 Sep 2014, 23:44 PM
Honorary Member Badge

except ISU does it on the regular. Also a brummbar (lets be honest how often do you actually see one.)and sturm tiger cannot squad wipe from the fog, the ISU's range is way longer, you gotta drive a sturm tiger in pretty close to do anything with it, plus its animation is telegraphed as hell, and it has to reload for a minute. the ISU is in a squad wiping league of its own.

Brummbar is pretty terrible at wiping squads now as far as I can tell, and the Sturmtiger can wipe from the fog quite easily since it fires from 45 range (think normal vision is 35-40) and can track targets. You're right in that the ISU is way above and beyond either of the two, though.
4 Sep 2014, 23:56 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2014, 23:31 PMVaz

Might as well include the tigers in on this one

Tiger doesn't outrange a zis and wipe all 6 squadmembers in a hit.
5 Sep 2014, 00:29 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Brummbar is pretty terrible at wiping squads now as far as I can tell, and the Sturmtiger can wipe from the fog quite easily since it fires from 45 range (think normal vision is 35-40) and can track targets. You're right in that the ISU is way above and beyond either of the two, though.

It used to be decent with ground fire, till the scatter nerf.

I don't think putting it's AOE on par with Brummar would solve anything.
What would happen if it had 60 range?
5 Sep 2014, 00:37 AM

Soviets don't have much else DPS wise to wipe vetted up squads. If the ISU gets nerfed, they need some kind of other buffs.
5 Sep 2014, 01:01 AM

ISU is actually ok with auto attack but attack ground is really good. Anyone would use attack ground over auto attack. Maybe relic should do something about attack ground for ISU.
5 Sep 2014, 01:14 AM

ISU is actually ok with auto attack but attack ground is really good. Anyone would use attack ground over auto attack. Maybe relic should do something about attack ground for ISU.

attack ground uses the exact same stats as the auto attack. players are just better at knowing where to aim than the AI. dusty did this against a pak i had last night. 1 shotted a brand new pak while it was moving into position. the units were not clumped up, they were moving in a straight line over open ground. the gun and crew were all full hp.

please someone explain that away as pathing and not the ISU itself
5 Sep 2014, 04:56 AM

to be honest, rather than soviets needing ranged dps to wipe squads, its more like other factions need a tone down across the board.

it is evidence enough that all other factions have some way to destroy hmg from the front by blobbing up and a move in front of an hmg.
5 Sep 2014, 05:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Sep 2014, 01:14 AMwooof

please someone explain that away as pathing and not the ISU itself

No, it's that ATguns are too vulnerable to AoE effects. Brummbar and Tiger can too oneshot ATguns, but obviously at least they will receive a shot.

I repeat that I don't like that behaviour in any tank besides the Sturmtiger. Decrease AoE to 5 like proposed will make ISU a bit less given to squadwiping (alike to a long range Brummbar), but the issue will still remain.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★