Login

russian armor

An interesting article about game balancing

4 Sep 2014, 17:12 PM

I recently came across an article written by Josh Sawyer, game designer at Obsidian, and I thought I'd share it. While it discusses the balance of single-player RPG's, rather than competitive RTS', I found it an interesting read and I think many of the concepts discussed could be applied to CoH, especially to intra-army balance between units.

http://kotaku.com/how-to-balance-an-rpg-1625516832

Some highlights from the article that may feel familiar:

"Even the most well-designed spreadsheet fails to capture the reality of how systems will function within the context of a game environment."

"If the game is balanced around the always-picked option, the game is imbalanced for anything but that option."

"It is now 2014 and, friends, I am here to tell you that trash options are bullshit."

As a side note, if you haven't already, check out Peter Qumsieh's blog, which also has some interesting posts about game (and CoH) balance:

http://pqumsieh.com/
4 Sep 2014, 17:22 PM

Very good article.

Took away 2 major things that relate to this game

1. The SU76 is design trash and should be removed from game

2. They were using Pro leet Sid Myers civilization strats when they doubled the katuskas damage and AOE which is cool :)

But seriously relic does seem to be doing alot of these things which is nice to read about
8 Sep 2014, 17:41 PM

Agreed that the SU76 is design trash in T4. However, if swapped with the T70 in T3 and T4, you have room to turn the SU76 into something more useful since it is no longer constrained by competing with the SU85 and Kat. In T3 there is room to balance it independently of the T4 units. It has potential, but in T4 it is overshadowed by the SU85 and Kat, in T3 it can be buffed to offer a better AT support for the T34, without stepping on the SU85 in T4.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★