Login

russian armor

How do you like to play Wehr?

18 Aug 2014, 22:19 PM
Donator 11

I'd really like to hear the different ways people are playing this faction. Even with the relative unviablity of T4 there still seems to be a good variety of effective strategies available. Currently I am running Spearhead doctrine, Mechanized Assault doctrine and Jaeger infantry doctrine.

Facing Soviets I tend towards a gren heavy opening (2 grens, mg, gren) into a second mg/mortar. Against Soviet T1 I take jaeger infantry, against T2 I take spearhead. Depending on my map control (and doctrine)I'll either rush multiple p4s or take T2, set up a strong defense and grind for Tiger.

Facing USF I'm almost always using mechanized doctrine. I'm buiding an assault gren and a second pioneer, capping my half of the map and building a fuel point on my cutoff. I rush T2, get a fast upgunned scout car and try to take as much map as possible. Next I build mgs, paks and mortars and turtle it out until my mechanized assault groups and stug call-ins allow me to turn the tide. I find myself relying on the Tiger to finish the game.

Any thoughts?
18 Aug 2014, 23:29 PM

Troll Guide for the Wehr (DO NOT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED):

Step 1: Buy the Tiger Ace doc (Skip this step if you already have the Tiger Ace doc)
Step 2: Remove all your other doctrines from your loadout. Equip Tiger Ace.
Step 3: Initiate search
Step 4: Now, you're at a crossroads here. If you've been matched up against an American, go to Step 10. If you're up against soviets, go to step 5.

Step 5(Sovs): Spam grens. Don't do anything except spam grens. It doesn't matter what the map is or what you read on the latest pro MLG guide to the Wehr, just spam grens. Lots and lots of Grens. You need at least 10 Grens or you're officially a pussy.
Step 6: Build a Medic Bunker some time after retreating your first few grens. Medic bunker significantly cuts the amount of MP you drain in the long run, especially with a gren spam.
Step 7: Rush T3. Don't ever, ever go for T4. Building T2 is a pretty solid choice if you want the PaKs but otherwise, PIVs work out fine.
Step 8: Get at least 1 PIV and maybe a stug.
Step 9: Pretend this is before Step 5 and pick the Tiger Ace doc. Abuse the stun grenades (Which cancel retreat on squads they hit!) and G43s for the ultimate troll spam. At 15 CP, pop the Tiger Ace and watch your opponent get #rekt.

Step 10('mericans): Spam Grens backed up by a single MG42 (Two MG42s if you're feeling trolly). Again, pick the Tiger Ace doc straight away for maximum trolling. Vet your first MG42 to Vet 3 straight away for maximum instapins. Get a medic bunker fairly early and spam as many G43s as possible. LMGs are indeed a better choice on more open maps though, so keep that in mind.
Step 11: Abuse stun grenade spam (Those things are cheap as hell) and G43s. MG42s completely shut down rifles if used properly. Get T2 once you have around 4 T1 units (3 grens and an MG) and build a PaK and a Scoutcar to deal with the Liet's tier. If your opponent has gone Captain, promptly call him a noob and pre-emptively gg cus he probably sucks. Fookin' scrubs.
Step 12: Get to T3 and spam PIVs. There isn't a medium tank in the game with better AT than the PIV so just get as many as you can. For maximum trolling, use veteran training to get your PIVs to Vet 2 straight away. This gives them the edge over Ez8s if your opponents gone for them and rapes regular Shermans even harder than PIVs already do.
Step 13: Even if you lose the early and mid game, it doesn't matter cus you got the Tiger Ace. Without any real non-doctrinal mines, a Tiger Ace with PIV support is more or less impossible to counter as the Americans in the hands of a competent player, especially if you're on an urban map where Jacksons can do nothing except watch helplessly from the sidelines as the Tiger ace butt rapes your infantry and medium tank core. Call GG WP preemptively as soon as the tiger ace is out.
18 Aug 2014, 23:49 PM

^ About right Albus.
19 Aug 2014, 01:39 AM

Against Soviets, I toyed around with Mobile Defense (Fast Capping, Call 2 Osttruppen squads, Smoke on tanks, Puma, P4 Command Tank), while using the same buildorder as Colonel0tto. The Pumas give you a good presence in the midgame against T34s, while the Command Tank is good against infantry and on some maps can be used to give a good chunk of your army the defensive buff. The cost of a Puma is really nice (70 fuel), while you get them fairly early at 7 cp. The doctrin kind of replaces T3.

Against USF, I play in the same way as you. However, I wonder if it would be better to build an ammo point instead of a fuel point. In my opinion, ammo is a much more important ressource to Ostheer than fuel. You need ammo to upgun the scoutcar (~60), get a medic bunker (~60), buy some light MG42(~50), and there are also situations where you want to get a vehicle mine, use a Panzerfaust or a grenade. Fuel, on the other hand, is not that important, as in the early game we only need to tech Battlephase 1, get T1 and T2 and then build a scout car, all of which are limited by manpower as well as by fuel, and fall in the early game, while we have not gotten that much fuel out of our point. Furthermore, in the next minutes our ability to deploy a Stug G while be limited by command points, not by fuel.

Generally, I want to ask how you deal with the ammo shortage of Ostheer. I had to learn the hard way that you always have to remember you need the ammo for scout car upgun and medic bunker, and can not shoot around with your ammo as you can do when playing soviets.

Another thing I would like to note is, that I really like building a squad of Panzergrenadiers against USF. They are good for the same reasons as Assault Grenadiers, while also they can be upgraded with 'schrecks if you need something on foot that can kill or scare away a Jackson.

I would also like to ask how you deal with having no map domination in the early vs USF. Ressource wise, it is not that much of a problem if you learn how many points you need to hold to get the units you need, but I have lost many games because by the time I started coming back, my VPs where down to 100, and my opponent's army was quite well teched because of him having map domination. I find it hard to pressure the other side of the map, because as Ostheer you can not put as much manpower into basic infantry, because you need to put some of it in support weapon teams and teching, while USF field mostly riflemen in the beginning.

I think a standard matchup would be like 2 Grens, 1 Ass grens, 1 MG 42 versus 3 riflemen, 1 lieutenant. The thing is in my opininion that the OST player has to retreat from any confrontation unless he outnumbers the enemy, can put is Ass grens into good position or can utilize the pinning of the MG 42. If something goes wrong, like the MG 42 is flanked by 1 riflemen squad, most of the OST troops have to retreat to prevent huge manpower loses. I think this stays this way until we get our call in Stug, which is the first unit the USF forces player really has to respect. The 222 is too fragile to fulfil that role, as it can lose the fight vs the utility car (mines/bazooka from the crew), the flak half track, the Captain and even riflemen, if they get a good rifle nade, or they just shoot at it for a minute. The Stug G eats all of those units alive if managed correctly, and is able to defeat the Stuart as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like the challenge of this matchup and have played quite well in it in the last days, but I think this is the challenge a contemporary OST player has to overcome to win against the USA.
19 Aug 2014, 02:07 AM

Pretty much Albus' s strat except you can just get 4 grens (constantly replace them) and improvise any unit (42, mortar, sniper etc), until dual T3 tanks and tiger ace. Ideally u'd use lmg grens in pairs and hunt/focus fire lone squads at max range.

You need to build T2 incase you face t34/kv spam. P4 can't penetrate kvs unless at point blank range.
19 Aug 2014, 02:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Aug 2014, 23:29 PMAlbus
Troll Guide for the Wehr (DO NOT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED):

Step 1: Buy the Tiger Ace doc (Skip this step if you already have the Tiger Ace doc)
Step 4: Now, you're at a crossroads here. If you've been matched up against an American, go to Step 10. If you're up against soviets, go to step 5.

Step 5(Sovs): Spam grens. Don't do anything except spam grens. It doesn't matter what the map is or what you read on the latest pro MLG guide to the Wehr, just spam grens. Lots and lots of Grens. You need at least 10 Grens or you're officially a pussy.
Step 6: Build a Medic Bunker some time after retreating your first few grens. Medic bunker significantly cuts the amount of MP you drain in the long run, especially with a gren spam.
Step 7: Rush T3. Don't ever, ever go for T4. Building T2 is a pretty solid choice if you want the PaKs but otherwise, PIVs work out fine.
Step 9: Pretend this is before Step 5 and pick the Tiger Ace doc. Abuse the stun grenades (Which cancel retreat on squads they hit!) and G43s for the ultimate troll spam. At 15 CP, pop the Tiger Ace and watch your opponent get #rekt.
Step 10('mericans): Spam Grens backed up by a single MG42 (Two MG42s if you're feeling trolly). Again, pick the Tiger Ace doc straight away for maximum trolling. Vet your first MG42 to Vet 3 straight away for maximum instapins. Get a medic bunker fairly early and spam as many G43s as possible. LMGs are indeed a better choice on more open maps though, so keep that in mind.
Step 11: Abuse stun grenade spam (Those things are cheap as hell) and G43s. MG42s completely shut down rifles if used properly. Get T2 once you have around 4 T1 units (3 grens and an MG) and build a PaK and a Scoutcar to deal with the Liet's tier. If your opponent has gone Captain, promptly call him a noob and pre-emptively gg cus he probably sucks. Fookin' scrubs.
Step 12: Get to T3 and spam PIVs. There isn't a medium tank in the game with better AT than the PIV so just get as many as you can. For maximum trolling, use veteran training to get your PIVs to Vet 2 straight away. This gives them the edge over Ez8s if your opponents gone for them and rapes regular Shermans even harder than PIVs already do.
Step 13: Even if you lose the early and mid game, it doesn't matter cus you got the Tiger Ace. Without any real non-doctrinal mines, a Tiger Ace with PIV support is more or less impossible to counter as the Americans in the hands of a competent player, especially if you're on an urban map where Jacksons can do nothing except watch helplessly from the sidelines as the Tiger ace butt rapes your infantry and medium tank core. Call GG WP preemptively as soon as the tiger ace is out.

it not trolling when its actually viable strat lol
19 Aug 2014, 08:54 AM
Donator 11

Honestly if I had elite troops doctrine I'd probably play much the same way as Albus describes. B.Lastbar, you're quite right about the ammo/fuel cache. I'd rather have an ammo cache, but sometimes I need the small fuel boost to get my Scout car out without floating mp. My principle method of taking map control is under a creeping barrage from two mortars with pios scouting and capping, with mgs on the flanks. I don't build grens because they really seem to lack utility vs US and most often end up feeding quick vet.
19 Aug 2014, 14:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Aug 2014, 23:29 PMAlbus

Lol'd too much reading this.

RIP Sides.
20 Aug 2014, 07:12 AM

What i've been doing recently is i go 2 pio's 2 gren's mg and then mortar. the pio's are very good because they allow me to cap alot of map and also use barbwire to deny my opponent cover. After that i get 2 gren's and an mg to help me deal with whatever amount of infantry my opponent might dish out. When i see that i have a good control over my opponent i start upgrading my gren's and my pios with lmg's and flame trower and mine sweeper then i get a mortar out to help deal with unit's that might be using buildings for cover. i find that mortar's are very good for dealing extra damage to an enemy squad and also help take out enemy mg's. after that i begin building my medic bunker and go for tier 1, for tier 1 i like to get a halftrack out.(it depends on what my opponent is doing if i see an early vehicle i would skip the halftrack and go for an AT gun and then halftrack) halftrack's are good because if i take out my opponent mg's or mortar's i can steal them and reinforce on the spot or i can engage my enemy while reinforcing my lost troops. and if my halftrack get's hit by an AT nade or an AT gun i have my 2 pio's to repair it. In the late game depending on what my opponent is doing i would get 2 panzergren's or 1 panzergren and go for tier 2 and start getting p4's out. the panzergren's are very good at killing enemy infantry and also killing enemy tanks with there panzershreck's. As for commanders i would go for mobile defense then i can skip tier 2 and go for puma's and command tank instead. Assault support, if i want to use blitztruck and tiger. Or mechanized armor for the command tank and scope upgrade also the railway artillery.
20 Aug 2014, 07:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 07:12 AMHappyxX
Or mechanized armor for the command tank and scope upgrade also the railway artillery.

You must have mixed something up there, this combination does not exist in any commander ^^ I guess you mean mechanized support, but it only has the poor leFh
20 Aug 2014, 15:13 PM

You must have mixed something up there, this combination does not exist in any commander ^^ I guess you mean mechanized support, but it only has the poor leFh

yeah you're right i meant the mechanized support doctrine lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS