Login

russian armor

If all armors got AI capability, what would happen?

16 Aug 2014, 08:00 AM

It just pains me to see a Su-85 or Elefant can't do anything to infantry unit. God they are tanks, heavily armor and they've got GUN and CANNON, why can't they kill infantry regularly? Shrek squads can just walk straight to their front and those mighty unit have to back off or die, what a joke!
16 Aug 2014, 08:05 AM

16 Aug 2014, 08:19 AM

When the original company of heroes first came out (or maybe it was late beta) the pintle guns on all tanks were incredibly effective vs infantry. What happened was that the entire game devolved into a race to get armor and AT guns out as early as possible since tanks rendered infantry useless. Then the goal was to amass the most/best tanks to counter your opponent's tanks. Relic pretty quickly realized that if all tanks could regularly kill infantry then infantry didn't really have a role on the battlefield after tanks arrived.

I suppose the simpler answer here though would be that the SU-85 and Elefant are tank destroyers and not assault guns. They are meant to combat tanks from long range with HVAP rounds.
16 Aug 2014, 08:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2014, 08:05 AMDavidKh
JagdPanzer?

Yes, Jagdpanzer too and the likes.

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2014, 08:19 AMCabreza
When the original company of heroes first came out (or maybe it was late beta) the pintle guns on all tanks were incredibly effective vs infantry. What happened was that the entire game devolved into a race to get armor and AT guns out as early as possible since tanks rendered infantry useless. Then the goal was to amass the most/best tanks to counter your opponent's tanks. Relic pretty quickly realized that if all tanks could regularly kill infantry then infantry didn't really have a role on the battlefield after tanks arrived.

I suppose the simpler answer here though would be that the SU-85 and Elefant are tank destroyers and not assault guns. They are meant to combat tanks from long range with HVAP rounds.

Why couldn't they just increase the effectiveness of camouflage, cover, bunker and trench? That's exactly the way modern infantry should fight, not blobing and matching forward like Napoleon's Imperial Guard >:(.

16 Aug 2014, 09:39 AM

Why couldn't they just increase the effectiveness of camouflage, cover, bunker and trench? That's exactly the way modern infantry should fight, not blobing and matching forward like Napoleon's Imperial Guard >:(.

Do I really have to point out that this is a game and therefore some concession need to be made for the sake of enjoyment and playability? Giving a tank destroyer the ability to engage infantry effectively while retaining it's AT capabilities would create an anti-everything vehicle. Every tank destroyer functioning like a mini ISU-152 is not my idea of fun or balance.
16 Aug 2014, 11:00 AM

Honestly, CoH franchise is all about combined arms tactics and using cover. So yes, blobbing infantry goes against that philosophy, but having all armor being infantry killers would just exterminate the combined arms part. And i'm not even sure it would stop blobbing either.

At most tweaking Tank Destroyers hull mg to at least be able to defend themselves (which would be historically correct i guess), but not being able to fight toe to toe with 1-2 squads of infantry (like medium tanks are able to).

Oh and on the subject of Tank destroyers, Elefant need his priorities reworked, it constantly want to target infantry even with armor sitting nearby. And i think it would be rather good to have a "halt fire on infantry" toggle option for those kind of units. Having both option to halt fire completely, and halt fire on infantry only would go a long way on improving microing TDs, at least imo.
16 Aug 2014, 11:08 AM

CoH has a paper - rock - scissors system. If you want something super realistic, CoH is not for you. Its a fast paced WW2 RTs, and then win isnt decided who can use trenches and his supertanks better.
18 Aug 2014, 12:27 PM

Sorry for late reply guys :(

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2014, 09:39 AMCabreza

Do I really have to point out that this is a game and therefore some concession need to be made for the sake of enjoyment and playability? Giving a tank destroyer the ability to engage infantry effectively while retaining it's AT capabilities would create an anti-everything vehicle. Every tank destroyer functioning like a mini ISU-152 is not my idea of fun or balance.

There're more than one way to achieve enjoyment and playability. A blob of infantry rushing and killing tanks in the open is the least thing i would want for those though.

A 'mini ISU-152’ is not an ISU-152, just like a Conscript squad is not a Shock squad.

While a turretless tank is not a real tank, it shouldn't behave like a harmless, delicious big fat cow before enemy infantry. Even if they have some AI capability (which they deserve), their weakness'll remain the same: harder to use when attacking and more vulnerable to flanking and ambushing etc etc so no need to worry.

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2014, 11:00 AMSlaYoU
Honestly, CoH franchise is all about combined arms tactics and using cover. So yes, blobbing infantry goes against that philosophy, but having all armor being infantry killers would just exterminate the combined arms part. And i'm not even sure it would stop blobbing either.

At most tweaking Tank Destroyers hull mg to at least be able to defend themselves (which would be historically correct i guess), but not being able to fight toe to toe with 1-2 squads of infantry (like medium tanks are able to).

All armor being infantry killers is not what i want either. What i mean is: if the infantry have time to prepare their trench or have a good defense position, then they can win against tanks; but if they're in the open with nothing to cover and fire from, they should be massarced by tanks, not the other way around.

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2014, 11:00 AMSlaYoU

Oh and on the subject of Tank destroyers, Elefant need his priorities reworked, it constantly want to target infantry even with armor sitting nearby. And i think it would be rather good to have a "halt fire on infantry" toggle option for those kind of units. Having both option to halt fire completely, and halt fire on infantry only would go a long way on improving microing TDs, at least imo.

Yes, i completely agree.

CoH has a paper - rock - scissors system. If you want something super realistic, CoH is not for you. Its a fast paced WW2 RTs, and then win isnt decided who can use trenches and his supertanks better.

It's not anywhere near super realistic level. With just some change we can make the game whole lot better while still keep its fun, fast pace and paper - rock - scissors system. Think about it please.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★