Login

russian armor

Returning player: which army to play?

JNH
9 Aug 2014, 12:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I have just bought Coh2 + the western armies and am now fooling around with the game a bit.

I´m trying to find which coh2 army best fits my style. I have played CoH1 quite extensively and am now looking for advice from some coh2 players.

I play almost exclusively play 1 vs. 1 and in coh I mostly played Wehrmacht. I did not like PE.

Could you give me a quick overview of the four armies? Things like: what are their pro´s and cons and what playstyle fits them best? I dont have time to try all the armies and would just like to focus on an army that best fits my style.

Thanks!
9 Aug 2014, 12:43 PM

How do you like to play?

What is the "style I perfer to play" you refer to?
JNH
9 Aug 2014, 12:46 PM

I really like the wehrmacht from CoH1: strong units, defensive, etc. My micro sucks and I did not like PE for that reason. Is there anything that comes close to the old wehrmacht in Coh2 that is still viable in 1 vs 1? I only play 1 vs 1.
9 Aug 2014, 12:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2014, 12:46 PMJNH
I really like the wehrmacht from CoH1: strong units, defensive, etc. My micro sucks and I did not like PE for that reason. Is there anything that comes close to the old wehrmacht in Coh2 that is still viable in 1 vs 1? I only play 1 vs 1.

Since you want strong and defensive units, I recommend OKW with Ost as a close second.
9 Aug 2014, 12:56 PM

I'm going to guess you wouldn't like the US very much if you didn't like Panzer Elite. They're very focused on mobility and versatility with no heavy breakthrough units or many defensive options, similar to PE. Their playstyle is generally about having as many riflemen squads as you can; the rest of your units are basically meant to support them. They're an extremely micro-intensive faction because their units tend to all be glass-cannons (aka high damage output but fragile).

Soviets are personally my favorite faction. Their teching system is kind of weird and restrictive, but they have the best and most varied commanders in the game. Your playstyle will usually be dictated by which doctrine you choose to go. Soviets are largely about numbers, yet still have very potent heavy tanks, unlike the Americans. You make a choice between two different tiers at the beginning, one of which is mostly used for cheesy strats to catch your opponent off-guard, and safer one with support units. You get two tank buildings as well, one that's pretty versatile and comes with the iconic T34, and the other tank building is more specialized. You get tank a good tank destroyer and rocket artillery. And the SU-76, but don't use that piece of crap for any reason ever. Generally when you're Soviets you want to have a lot of map presence with maxims and conscripts + doctrinal guards/shock troops. As I said, they're more about numbers than individually good units.

You'll probably love the Wehrmacht in this game if you liked them in the first game. They play pretty similarly to how they did in the first game, but with more tank variety. Their teching system is much more intuitive than the Soviets' (though their tier 4 is not used often as it is considered overpriced in the current balance setup). They have a good mix of offensive and defensive capability. They're arguably the most well-rounded faction.

Oberkommando West is kind of a conglomerate of the British and Panzer Elite. Their economy is based on trucks and their infantry are deadly. Volksgrenadiers are your frontline unit but they tend to be support for your sturmpioneers and obersoldaten, plus they get panzerschreks to deal with tank threats. They tend to play rather defensively but are perfectly capable of launching a good offense. They are comprised of highly specialized, well-trained units rather than jack-of-all-trades type units that the Wehrmacht have. Keep in mind they get slightly less fuel income to reflect their design as a Battle of the Bulge-era Wehrmacht in which supply lines were stretched thin. This can be remedied with the fuel conversion ability on one of their trucks (though it isn't worth it unless you have a good chunk of the map). Besides their really expensive tanks like the King Tiger and Panther, their vehicles don't tend to cost that much fuel and the fuel penalty is honestly not too punishing.

Of course, I don't see why you wouldn't have time to at least a few matches against AI to see which faction you like best. Don't take any of our words for it. :D
9 Aug 2014, 13:00 PM

I suggest you you play them all =], at least a little to know what comes out at what time, and what are each factions strengths and weaknesses and then play okw last, because if it fits your play-style the best you will probably just stick with them and you would only be crippling yourself not to learn/play around with the other ones. (if your worried about ranked with set faction play custom matchs even in bigger games) mind you there more of a spam fest and cheese
9 Aug 2014, 13:51 PM

I'll agree with Kothre, the Wehrmacht is rather straight forward. The Battlephases might seems wierd at first but you have to build them in order and they can let you skip buildings and save some ressources. So see it as "pre-building a building" part of the ressources of the building go there.

Note that grens are long range, don't run up to the enemy with them.
9 Aug 2014, 15:22 PM

FFS don't play Ostheer in current balance unless you love banging your dick into a tree in full speed. The design is similar to the old Wehr, but the balance just fuck up this faction, at least currently.

If you want something like vCOH wehr mixing PE experience, try OKW.

If you like the old US, try USF, it is way too easy than the old one, strong like crazy in early game, but survival in late game is meh.

If you like the whore gimmicky style of the old Brit, play Soviet.
9 Aug 2014, 15:42 PM

Don't play ostheer plz.Most boring faction ever.1 infantry unit.1 late game tank.There is no scope for diversity or experimentation.

Americans are good for infantry play and especially excel in 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 but weaker in larger modes.
OKW weak in those modes,but excel in larger modes.
Play soviets..easymode.Best way to rack up wins.Abuse sniperspam.maximspam,isu,late game call-ins..basically every type of cheese u can think abt..if ur in a mood to feel good abt urself.Game mode doesn't matter for soiviet..can handle anything and any opponent.
9 Aug 2014, 16:12 PM

Ostheer is still the most fun faction IMO but they kinda suck in 1on1 vs US.
9 Aug 2014, 16:14 PM

Ostheer is dead...other factions are viable though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★