Login

russian armor

(2) Lernac

2 Aug 2014, 23:13 PM

(2) Lernac

"The atmospheric little town is surrounded by two opposing forces struggling to gain control over the city"

Hey guys,

I'm bringing you my first try of CoH2 mapping today. It's got its flaws, but for the first try i'm pretty happy with myself ;).

I went a little too big and too crowded for the first map and the next is definetly going to be a small one but i wanted to finish this one to best of my abilities either way.
I could ve added a couple more splats and detail in general in my opinion but on the other hand the map is crowded enough already.

Its also pretty big with a playable area of 416x416 but i wanted to give it a try and see how it works out.
Also, due to map being that crowded it actually feels smaller than it is.

If you have any suggestions,feedback and useful tips for me or anything that you might notice, I would appreciate it very much if you would let me know.
I'm just getting started so there is definetly a lot you guys could teach me. :)

Additionaly, if you have an idea how else i could place the sectors / resource points (less of them), hit me up.

Here are some pictures for you as well:

Edit.: Before i forget it, thanks a bunch to all the people who put so much time in making the WorldBuilder tutorials, especially OnkelSam, which helped me a lot.
Thanks guys :clap:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update #1 :

-Reduced fog a little
-Fixed base bunker positions
-added more detail to the town
Pics:

2 Aug 2014, 23:58 PM

A very nice roll out for your first COH2 map! The SPLATS will have no negative impact on performance, unless you put more than 5 overlapping. It will really add some shine to the map, too. If not for this one, absolutely plan ahead for them on your next. When done right, SPLATS make the difference, in my opinion, for the maps that have "it". No amount of objects can take the place of them.

A good example, is where the burnt out truck next to the crater, there are some SPLATS "nm_debris/poster*" and "nm_debris/rubble_misc" that when placed around the truck, add to the destruction detail. Also, "Crater_dirt/Crater_vehicle_wreck" beneath the vehicles stain the ground with burned marks.

Regarding the resource sector count, is there a reason you added in the extra fuel and munitions? Double the count can really affect balance, especially with OKW. Also, cut off sectors should be added, for additional strategic concept.

Don't let any of this feedback detour you, it should most certainly be taken positively. You have the process down and that's what counts, and moving forward, it will come much easier each time. If you chose to tweak the map, it has a lot of potential to grab attention, and could always be revisited later down the road if your eager to start your next project.

In regards to your next project, focus on sector layout as top priority, before even opening WorldBuilder. Draw out some idea's on paper, and redo them 3-4 times, with variations, then chose the best one. Once I did that, my maps fell into place so much easier, and the workflow was much faster.

Well Done! Cheers. :)

3 Aug 2014, 00:31 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Cool! Have you posted about this anywhere before? The layout looks familiar.
3 Aug 2014, 00:38 AM

A very nice roll out for your first COH2 map! The SPLATS will have no negative impact on performance, unless you put more than 5 overlapping. It will really add some shine to the map, too. If not for this one, absolutely plan ahead for them on your next. When done right, SPLATS make the difference, in my opinion, for the maps that have "it". No amount of objects can take the place of them.

A good example, is where the burnt out truck next to the crater, there are some SPLATS "nm_debris/poster*" and "nm_debris/rubble_misc" that when placed around the truck, add to the destruction detail. Also, "Crater_dirt/Crater_vehicle_wreck" beneath the vehicles stain the ground with burned marks.

Regarding the resource sector count, is there a reason you added in the extra fuel and munitions? Double the count can really affect balance, especially with OKW. Also, cut off sectors should be added, for additional strategic concept.

Don't let any of this feedback detour you, it should most certainly be taken positively. You have the process down and that's what counts, and moving forward, it will come much easier each time. If you chose to tweak the map, it has a lot of potential to grab attention, and could always be revisited later down the road if your eager to start your next project.

In regards to your next project, focus on sector layout as top priority, before even opening WorldBuilder. Draw out some idea's on paper, and redo them 3-4 times, with variations, then chose the best one. Once I did that, my maps fell into place so much easier, and the workflow was much faster.

Well Done! Cheers. :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback :) I think the same about the Splats but i had difficulties placing them right or even find places to put them. Probably beacause i dont know them very well yet, but i will definetly try to put some more in and overhaul everything a little.
For me many places just felt empty and out of place and i wasnt really able to change that just with splats and i didn t want to put craters and wrecked vehicles everywhere.
But I have to play around with it a little more to get a hang of it.
As for the resources, the 2 fuel points in the middle greatly add to the immersion, since theres a lot going on in the center of town then. I placed the additional ones because it felt like i had not enough resources.
I d like to have only 1 sector in the corners but the second one worked as a cut off sector (sort of). But since you mentioned that, maybe i dont quite understand the concept of cutoff sectors ;).

Regarding OKW and US, i dont have the addon and i dont really have a desire to play them, so feedback regarding the size of the base and balance is highly appreciated.

3 Aug 2014, 00:41 AM

Cool! Have you posted about this anywhere before? The layout looks familiar.

nope, this one is new, made from scratch. But the map design is not too innovative, i admit that. So you might have seen a similar one before.
3 Aug 2014, 01:15 AM

Some of the best splats are just rubble, dirt, and debris in open area's, not requiring additional stuff, like craters...ect.
Examples (some of the numbers are missing)

Alternate these on dirt roads, to break up the repetitiveness of tile painting.
mud/mud_tracks
mud/mud_tracks_deep
urban/rocky_pebbles
nm_road_dirt/messy_roads

good at grass edge, where a texture spline is too much
dirt/grass_patches_on_dirt

add these around tree's, especially bare trees
nm_flora/*leaves*
nm_flora/*roots*

As for the cut off sectors, you kinda have it going, I think a lot of the more competitive based maps' cut off have a heavy impact. Monolithic Bacon's Kursk has some great cut off examples. Taking the cut off sector can shut down an enemy's strategy if left unguarded.

The amount of muni/fuel has much more impact with WFA's, as OKW as very reliant on fuel. If they are able to capture multiple fuel points, it can make them very difficult to deal with. But the amount that should be on map, is only a recommendation, and if your map plays better with the extra points, keep them in. That is what counts in the end.

Once again, good work. :)
3 Aug 2014, 09:11 AM

Some of the best splats are just rubble, dirt, and debris in open area's, not requiring additional stuff, like craters...ect.
Examples (some of the numbers are missing)

Alternate these on dirt roads, to break up the repetitiveness of tile painting.
mud/mud_tracks
mud/mud_tracks_deep
urban/rocky_pebbles
nm_road_dirt/messy_roads

good at grass edge, where a texture spline is too much
dirt/grass_patches_on_dirt

add these around tree's, especially bare trees
nm_flora/*leaves*
nm_flora/*roots*

I will defintely use them.It's kinda hard to find the right ones if you don't know them very well,so this is very helpful, thx.
But i think i'm not going to put a lot more work in that map, since i think im going to get better the more maps i do so i will try some other things. I read through WhiteFlashs tutorial (haven't seen that one before), any maybe i can put some of it to use.
Got some nice ideas already :).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS