Login

russian armor

Mapping Ideas & Sharing

23 Jul 2014, 11:57 AM
Donator 11

Hi everyone,

I'm a map maker who has lost some motivation to create maps...
Now, I want the opinion of the public to help me finding inspiration for a new map.
There's a lot of possibilities when it comes to making maps, so I'll give an example on how I want you guys to react to this topic.

Example:

Players:
2 players (1v1)
4 players (2v2)
6 players (3v3)
8 players (4v4)

Map size:
Extra small
Small
Medium
Large
Extra large
(Fill in yourself).............

Map type:
City
Small village
Normandy (small villages, farms and forest)
Secret facility
Harbour
City outskirts
Trainyard

Weather type:
Sunny
-morning
-afternoon
-night
Rain
-morning
-afternoon
-night
Winter
-morning
-afternoon
-night

Map style:
Infantry (filled with objects for cover)
Tanks (more fuel-points and open arreas)
Mix (good for infantry and tanks)

So this is going look something like this:

4 players
Small
Harbour
Rainy night
Mix
Extra:
(Example)
I want the harbour to have some secret paths for infantry to flank the enemy.
Also I want to have allot of buildings for cover with small gardens and a square in the center for an epic battle.

And there's always room for you to leave some of your own ideas.
And don't hold back, because this is where the creativity comes into play!

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Invictus
23 Jul 2014, 14:42 PM

2 players
Small
Forest, 4 small buildings max.
Foggy Morning
Standard resource count, 10 terr, 2 fuel, 2 ammo, 3 VP; VP's shouldn't have big impact when in anh. Lots of medium cover for infantry, destructible. Plenty of maneuver room for vehicles (check impass, such as Bacon's latest video shows). No impassable water, but shallows maybe. Map contest quality, specifically balance and detail.
23 Jul 2014, 18:59 PM
Donator 11

Like the idea, Onkelsam made such a map I think (Crossing the woods?).
Might be a possibility!
23 Jul 2014, 19:47 PM

I was thinking less water though. Less path restrictions, more maneuverability.
24 Jul 2014, 07:07 AM

Players: 4-6
Map size: Medium-Large
Map type: Military base, trenches/bunkers
Weather type: Summer, Sunny

I have been wanting to make a map such as this for a while. I love playing defensive, yet there is few good defensive maps (with bunkers, trenches, tank traps, etc.) available. All the good ones are ruined by unlimited resources or base placement (spawn too close). I think it would be awesome to have a map where 2 sides could set down defenses, and face each other head on. The map should be fairly large, and have plenty of trenches and bunkers in the center to allow troops to set up. The only place to get tanks through should be the center. It would be sort of like a WW1 battlefield except it would be much more complex. Sort of like a D-Day landing type of thing, but without the beach, and bunkers on both sides :)There should be a place to set up Paks or Arty, and also many places for MG's and mortars to hide behind.

There is only 1 map I know like this, it's called "Trench War" and it's great. The only thing I don't like is it's not big enough and there needs to be more open space.

If you want to build a map like this, please let me know. I could send you a picture on what I envision it to like if you want. I would make it myself if I knew how! lol
24 Jul 2014, 10:37 AM
Donator 11

It's the kind of map I play as well.
Love to setup my own defenses and wait for the enemy to throw wave after wave on me!
It's an idea I'll keep in the back of my head.
24 Jul 2014, 15:00 PM

This is a good thread, as it encourages good idea's.

Milke Man, if you need help getting started making maps, this forum is a great resource to get you in the right direction. Feel free to ask any questions (make new threads). Also check out the links in my signature, if you haven't seen them already. WorldBuilder is a very user friendly editor, and a great start for entry level mappers. You can also hit me up on steam, for more direct questions.
24 Jul 2014, 15:58 PM
Donator 11

I hope that one of them will be one I can't refuse on building...
I'm always full of ideas, but most of them are small ones like making a waterfall or a half flooded house with some trees and bushes around it.
I need an idea so I can put it all together.

And Mike Man, I would suggest looking at the tips from Srinidhalaya, even I learned allot just looking at the video's!
24 Jul 2014, 17:21 PM

Make one of Hitlers dams that was bombed, with a small waterfall going over the damage, with the aftermath of a flood similar to the effects of a failed damn on a village...ect.
24 Jul 2014, 17:56 PM
Donator 11

Sounds so awesome haha, Thinking about something like 'Scottevast' of coh tales of valor.
maybe with a dam at the end of it, Ideas in overflow!
3 Aug 2014, 06:12 AM

Sorry for the very late reply, I made a noobie mistake on the forum and I wasnt getting notifications :( . Thanks a lot for the replies though, I will defnitely check out that map! I also will send you a Steam message if I ever need help with map making. Someday I am definitely going to make my own map, I'm sure those videos will prove invaluable. The thing that draws me is all of the possibilities, no 2 maps are alike.

Just wanted to let you guys know I wasn't ignoring you, I would have replied much earlier if I was getting notifications.

Cheers!
5 Aug 2014, 21:28 PM

Please help with basic ideas

I was fully motivated to have a crack at a trenchy map but I sort of ran out of steam and ideas once I got the close trenchy route sorted. If someone could give some ideas for general concepts to include in the north I would be grateful.

The south is inf only as the tank traps and bridges block vehicle movement. It is also fully vaultable and contains the two high fuel points and a VP. I had intended for the north to be more open and less closed off to tanks (possiblly with a few trenchy bits smaller in the corners?).

It's early days, but I lose concentration and motivation if I can't think of what to include as I go along:

9 Aug 2014, 07:00 AM

Pulway, Poland

2 players
Small
Summer and Winter:
Afternoon

It is a Flames of War scenario, but would make a great map.
10 Aug 2014, 21:41 PM
Donator 11

Little project I'm currently working on... gonna take some time as motivation runs low and ideas are exhausted..
Hopefully I'm gonne have some productive days and see the project finish soon
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS