Login

russian armor

USA - Weaksauce late game?

21 Jul 2014, 22:45 PM

Completely agreed with opening post.
Luckily for OKW/ Wermaht majority of US players can't utilize its late game potential. At least right now they can't.

M36 is also dear cheap for what it can do.
21 Jul 2014, 22:48 PM

No, not that late. I don't play long games often. much earlier than that, and shortly after T4 is unlocked. There's the choice between sherman or jacksons. It's kind of either-or sort of deal. 1 jackson and 1 sherman isn't effective. I find the choice limiting as one is strong AI, below average AT and the other is strong AT, zero AI. The M8 I get even later on and I often don't get a chance to at that... not enough fuel.

if by,"Late Game" we're talking 35-40+ minutes,then

The US SHOULD have at leasta sherman or 2 from around the 17-30 min mark, Jacksons some time after that,and then add the M8s as icing on the cake,along with at least 3-5 squads of vetted rifles or paras,with upgrades.

21 Jul 2014, 22:53 PM

Completely agreed with opening post.
Luckily for OKW/ Wermaht majority of US players can't utilize its late game potential. At least right now they can't.

M36 is also dear cheap for what it can do.

It's rather weak though so i'd say for a tank with zero AI, it's relatively okay where it is.

USA isn't weak in the late game. Everyone just expects American tanks to be able to go toe to toe with the heavy OKW armor and that's not the case. A well rounded army is all ya need.
21 Jul 2014, 23:24 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

No, not that late. I don't play long games often. much earlier than that, and shortly after T4 is unlocked. There's the choice between sherman or jacksons. It's kind of either-or sort of deal. 1 jackson and 1 sherman isn't effective. I find the choice limiting as one is strong AI, below average AT and the other is strong AT, zero AI. The M8 I get even later on and I often don't get a chance to at that... not enough fuel.

thats not too late,at least by my standards
Which one you pick depends on how the game is going

I almost always pick 2 shermans then jackson,just one sherman can take on a P4 with a bit of RNG or a flank,and one can even stand up to an a OKW panther if you have zooks and AT gun support. People underrate the AT ability of a sherman,its more than capable of taking ANYTHING on,if it has some help,and can flank of course.

2 Shermans,if given a chance to flank,can WRECK any tank either german faction can put out by the 20-25 min mark.

Then at that point if you havent lost either sherman,you can get a jackson,which is a rather nasty threesome.

However,if im not feeling like i have the initiative fuelwise,ill get the jackson first,since obviously its better 1v1 vs most german tanks itll face at that time,without requiring luck or a flank.
22 Jul 2014, 00:16 AM

With 250 VP games, I choose either a single Sherman or Jackson and keep a ready reserve. It's usually that one Sherman I get, which is not enough to smash an Axis strongpoint around the VPs. 2 Shermans with available infantry is often not enough, either, and is usually a gamble.

With 500 VP games, I go Sherman first and eventually shift to Jacksons.

In both scenarios, I've found it difficult to get 'critical mass' for close contact (offensive). Critical mass for Sherman spam is basically 3 of them. This rarely happens unless I am winning and the game is basically over.

Critical AT mass for jacksons is 2 Jacksons.

In long games, it's not hard to get 2 Jacksons and bind them, and form a strong defense around the VPs. But if I have 2 jacksons, I don't have much fuel left for shermans, so I lost my AI ability. So this the 'either/ or dilemma' that pops up.

People are wanting the Rifle company partially because it provides a pseudo solution to the dilemma- the E8.
22 Jul 2014, 01:38 AM

I kinda agree with the OP, US late game has potential to defeat axis players. The application of forces and combined arms will ensure victory; however combined arms requires a lot of micro.

Before WFA I was playing Wehr/OH then went onto play solely US once WFA came out.

The Howitzer Carriage is a great asset: it hard counters OKW blobs and Obers. Two of them together really put the hurt on blobs. It also does some damage to enemy armor if it gets rear hits.

The Jackson is great as well but targeting priorities need to fixed. Hold fire helps but only goes so far.

The US AT gun is very cost effective and once it gets vet its very good. I usually go for T3 to get AT and stuart then go for T4 for a Sherman/Howitzer carriage then a Jackson.

The lack of an reliable AT snare really hurts. Riflemen AT grenades miss half of the time or sometime hit objects instead of the target. I had a game where a squad threw a nade to hit a puma and the stupid thing blew up in their faces when it hit the cover they were sitting behind.

The other thing is that as the US you are just relying on basic units to win day and you have no saving grace call in to help you in the late game. Combine this with the increased micro upkeep of keeping all your units alive both infantry and vehicles.

My main issue when I end up in long games lasting more than 50+ mins is with all my armor running around I'm so focused on them my infantry suffers or vice versa. I have had a few games where I lost all my infantry but kept all my vehicles alive and was resorting to REs to cap and recrew crew weapons.

22 Jul 2014, 22:49 PM

I must say the problem is that howitzers are ok.. but only if they blob infantry.

If they have just 2 squadso with panzerfaust, every tank in the US arsenal is dead.

Jackson gun is great, sure. But it's made of paper. Ok, you could probably destroy a KT in 1v1, but games never are 1 unit vs 1 unit, and the reality of fact is that your jackson will probably die really soon and the KT will still be alive going back for repairs.

At guns are great, i snobbed at first, but noi i love them. Pretty outstanding.

The Bazookas.. i can't understand why they're so useless against pz4 and up, while panzerschrek are good through the whole game.
22 Jul 2014, 23:29 PM

I always found it weird that Relic decided to make US good early game and Axis good late game but it was the complete opposite in reality.
23 Jul 2014, 02:45 AM

With vet and a little bit munitions (which you should have enough as USA)

I don't know why people keep saying this about the US. They are as munition intensive as the wehr if not more so. Having to use the APCR on the 57mm every time you need to penetrate heavy tank adds up quickly, and even base rifleman will lose to lmg42.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★