Login

russian armor

Gender segregation in eSports

3 Jul 2014, 16:42 PM

3 Jul 2014, 16:46 PM

There was a positive update to this story.

"According to a statement later issued by the IeSF, the decision for gender segregation was part of its drive to promote e-Sports as a legitimate sports with international sports authorities. This decision, the statement adds, serves two main goals of the IeSF. One was to comply with the international sports regulations as part of its effort to get eSports recognised as a true sports, while the other was to promote female players in the male-dominated eSports competition."

Because you cant spell "sports" without "gender segregation".
3 Jul 2014, 16:56 PM

I've seen local competitions segregated by gender in order to get more women to compete, the organisers say it works so who am I to argue.

If an e-sports, particularly one that I'm not a part of, wants to segregate competitions based on arbitrary things like gender who am I to complain.

I've also read on a comment to one of these articles that women have significantly lower reaction times than men. I don't know if that's true but if it is then maybe it should be a factor.
3 Jul 2014, 17:19 PM

That one chess lady (Ami help me out here) demonstrated that for strategy games, women can compete with men. Of course, she was a bit of an outlier.

The reason meat-space sports are segregated is because of the obvious physical advantages men have. Women and men have fairly equal scores on intelligence tests, so there does not appear to be the same obvious advantage for men in video games as in physical sports.

However, in an RTS game like Starcraft II, there does seem to be evidence that men would have a natural mechanical advantage. I went to a database and pulled this from the abstract of the first article I found on the topic:

Men are often found to have faster and less variable reaction times (RTs) than do women
Dykiert D, Der G, Starr J, Deary I. Sex differences in reaction time mean and intraindividual variability across the life span. Developmental Psychology [serial online]. September 2012;48(5):1262-1276

If I was the best girl in the world at a game, I'd wanna compete against men and prove how good I was. If I was only mediocre and it was a local tournament, frankly I'd rather play against chicks most of the time so I could do well. But I'm a "set the bar low" kinda guy.
3 Jul 2014, 17:22 PM

Yeah ami would definetly beat geatness oh wait MVGame
3 Jul 2014, 17:48 PM

I giggle at the term esports ... this isn't sports. It's just as competitive, it's mentally draining, and I am in awe of some peoples reaction times ... but it isn't sports, but I guess it's the best title they could come up with. I guess that's why I'll never be competitive at it ... I like to go outside.
Gender segregation for video games ... can-o-worms.
3 Jul 2014, 18:12 PM

In the case of this being OK based on women having slower reaction time (allegedly) tall people have slower reaction time as well compared to shorter people, so then we'll need height classes as well. Or just make a cutoff point for the "short" people.

Or just let everybody play because it's meaningless arbitrary and nonconsequential differences.

I giggle at the term esports ... this isn't sports. It's just as competitive, it's mentally draining, and I am in awe of some peoples reaction times ... but it isn't sports, but I guess it's the best title they could come up with. I guess that's why I'll never be competitive at it ... I like to go outside.
Gender segregation for video games ... can-o-worms.

Your comment is that you have no comment? :P Though I also have issues with the term eSports because it sounds so silly and I don't like how tournament presentation is drawing inspiration from sports as well, but that's a topic for another day.
3 Jul 2014, 18:24 PM

In the case of this being OK based on women having slower reaction time (allegedly) tall people have slower reaction time as well compared to shorter people, so then we'll need height classes as well. Or just make a cutoff point for the "short" people.

I think the chap below me sourced it pretty well.

Anyway, if women want to compete with men they can, just like short people can compete with tall people basketball. I just don't want to hear cries of misogyny when they find themselves under-represented at higher levels of competition.
3 Jul 2014, 18:31 PM

I don't have a problem with the word "esports" as its own thing. Sort of like motorsports, people don't classify them with sports like basketball baseball soccer football etc. But when people try to get "esports" recognized as an actual sport, that shit cracks me up. Nothing athletic whatsoever about a bunch of twentysomethings sitting inside all day smashing a M&K.
3 Jul 2014, 18:39 PM

I gave a source, it's not "alleged" it's been studied. I went and tried to look at the actual numbers but it was taking too long to access any full texts. All I know is that all the papers I looked at mention that there have been multiple studies that find sex differences in reaction time.

You don't know whether or not its " meaningless arbitrary and nonconsequential differences. " though if you haven't looked at the data.
3 Jul 2014, 19:21 PM

I gave a source, it's not "alleged" it's been studied. I went and tried to look at the actual numbers but it was taking too long to access any full texts. All I know is that all the papers I looked at mention that there have been multiple studies that find sex differences in reaction time.

You don't know whether or not its " meaningless arbitrary and nonconsequential differences. " though if you haven't looked at the data.

I said allegedly because I didn't have the numbers on it. All I had was the quote provided by you which says that so is often the case. I didn't focus on it since it was irrelevant to the argument I made, which is that whether or not that is true, it's still not reason enough in my mind. Especially since reaction time isn't everything, not even in Starcraft.

Also the organizer never mentioned reaction time as he seemed more focused on following in the way of sports, despite several motor sports being non gender segregated (dragracing for example is very heavily dependent on reaction time and isn't segregated) and the comments he made in the article were just cringe worthy and stupid.

"PC Gamer then got in touch with Markus Koskivirta, the administrator for the Finnish qualifier, who revealed this wasn't his organization's decision. Rather, this was "in accordance with the International e-Sports Federation's (IeSF) tournament regulations, since the main tournament event is open to male players only. This is to avoid possible conflicts (e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8) among other things."
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★