Login

russian armor

CieZ's Puma First OKW Build

30 Jun 2014, 19:47 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to share a build that I've been working on over the past few days. I made this build as an answer to the M20s and USF AA HT that have been so popular in 1v1 recently in the OKW vs USF match up, but I believe that it is a solid opening against any USF opener. It also works well against Soviet T1 play, but is not optimal against Soviet T2 openers.

The build:
Volk, Volk, Volk, Mechanized Regiment HQ (the repair truck), MG34, MG34(the second is map/playstyle dependent but I like having two), Puma.

From here if you're facing a USF Lieut you can grab a 251 flak HT, or just put up the healing truck and grab some Fallshirms. I prefer healing as my second truck over the flak HQ because getting elite infantry (Obers or Fallshirms) without healing leads to some heavy manpower bleed.

Pros:
*Counters the M20 and USF AA HT using the Puma, while still being effective against riflemen.
*Early vehicle dominance can be used to leverage additional map control.
*Saves muni on early schrecks since Puma will counter vehicles for you. This means more mines, more grenades, or saving your muni for an off-map.

Cons:
*Not as optimal vs a Capt opener because of easy access to a 57mm AT gun to counter the Puma. (You can hold off on building the Puma until you see a Lieut, that way if you see the Capt you can choose to immediately put up your healing truck, but you still get later access to Obers than a healing truck --> flak HQ build.)
*Not as effective against Soviet builds, except for T1 openers.
*Requires solid Puma micro.

Anyways, if you want to check it out here is a YouTube video where I use one of my recent 1v1s to explain the build in more detail.

30 Jun 2014, 20:25 PM

Puma is somehow really good vs USA, I think it's because USA tanks have infantry as the main priority target, I had many Jacksons died cuz of this, instead of killing Puma it fired at some volks.

This fast Puma strat is good when opponent forgot about some better AT in early or at least zooks.

7 Jul 2014, 13:23 PM

CieZ, would love to hear how your analysis would change since last patch especially re 2nd truck choices. great video btw.
7 Jul 2014, 17:03 PM

Been using my own adaptation of this strategy and its been working supreme. I go for a Puma to pre-counter the popular Captain tech thats usually followed up with M15A1 AA Half-tracks, and then get my own Flak Half-track. Been working like a charm, since it kind of forces my opponent to try and go Bazookas, which equals less M1919 LMG's (.30 cals) which also are absurdly OP.

10/10, I do recommend.
8 Jul 2014, 01:35 AM

Been using my own adaptation of this strategy and its been working supreme. I go for a Puma to pre-counter the popular Captain tech thats usually followed up with M15A1 AA Half-tracks, and then get my own Flak Half-track. Been working like a charm, since it kind of forces my opponent to try and go Bazookas, which equals less M1919 LMG's (.30 cals) which also are absurdly OP.

10/10, I do recommend.

I do the same...using the MG34/falshimyaeger doctrine....but have trouble effectively using the Flak HalfTrack...I find myself wanting to skip it entirely or even go for second puma.

What would you recommend?
10 Jul 2014, 22:42 PM

If you don't like the 251 Flak, or don't find yourself being able to micro it very well then you can skip it. In the right situations in can definitely be extremely beneficial because there will be a long time between you killing their M15 with your Puma, and them getting out an M8 or a Sherman. Since they will also not have access to AT guns (unless they paradrop them, which is an abnormal commander choice for the M15 opener) as long as you kill the M15 pretty quickly after it hits the field your 251 Flak will have a lot of time to punish them.

The way I see it is this:
*If you kill their M15 quickly, getting the 251 Flak can be a very solid choice. It gives you something to help against garrisons, they won't have anything to kill it (aside from panic zooks) and it bleeds heavily.

*If you're having trouble killing their M15, by all means grab a second Puma. Two will easily kill the M15, and they're still solid against M8s and Shermans (Jacksons kinda own them but with easy schrecks and cheap AT guns you don't really care about Jacksons too much)

*If you just like Pumas, go for a second. They're really great units, especially against USF Lt and Soviet T1 builds. They're a lot weaker to Capt or Soviet T2 - so use caution there.

*Just put up your healing truck. The IG can be really deadly when placed in good locations, and you have the option of forward reinforcement on maps like Kharkov/Semos as well as healing which is, in my opinion, a must-have by the time you field Fallshirms/Obers (although I don't think Obers are viable with the current cost of the flak HQ) and to a lesser extent Fusiliers.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★