Login

russian armor

A question for the German coh community

4 Mar 2013, 03:58 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

IMO, having that stuff in your stream is just bad taste laws or not.
4 Mar 2013, 04:00 AM

Why? Not saying anything good about nazis, but I'd like it to be displayable like the hammer and sickle is as a symbol for the former Soviet Union.
4 Mar 2013, 07:42 AM

Why? Not saying anything good about nazis, but I'd like it to be displayable like the hammer and sickle is as a symbol for the former Soviet Union.

This.
4 Mar 2013, 08:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge

So what you are saying is there are a ton of tailor made ww2 films like Saving Private Ryan and games for example that cut out all Nazi iconography? If that is the case then countries like Russia or even Great Britain should remove their iconography from films and games as well because history sure tells of the atrocities that were committed by these states. Anyway HypnoToad said that "The only exception to this rule is when Swastika's and so on are displayed in an 'historically appropriate' manner". If a game or film is based on historical fact then according to this exception shouldn't they be allowed?

I am not the one to call for such measures in Great Britain or Russia. I can only tell you how it's dealt with in Germany. And here, games don't count as subjects that need to be "historical accurate". History lessons, documentations on TV, stuff like that is allowed to be "accurate". Games are censored, like it or not. Law doesn't want us to play games where you run around as a "real nazi" killing dudes. At least they don't want publishers to distribute it like that. Like i and others said earlier, they won#t harm you if individuals mod the game without bad intentions.
4 Mar 2013, 08:38 AM

I have one question aswell. If a publisher intends to release a game where you are a German soldier in WWII (I know there aren't many games released where you are a German soldier in WWII). What is Germany's reaction to that? Do they simply forbid that publisher to release the game there, or do they just need to cut out some game elements like Swastika's & etc. ?
4 Mar 2013, 09:05 AM
Honorary Member Badge

There are games on the index, like "Return to Castle Wolfenstein". I am actually not 100% sure if it is completely forbidden, or if you can get a copy of it with removed swastikas etc. at an age of 18+. But, games like this certainly aren't advertised or standing in the shelf. You have to ask for them at the desk.
7 Mar 2013, 16:44 PM

Anyone knows more?
7 Mar 2013, 18:13 PM

look up wolfenstein 3d on wikipedia, there is a paragraph about the situation in germany in there (in was not a 18+ game, but was confiscated).

playing a german soldier in ww2 itself is fine though, it's mainly the depiction of violence (which is also regulated by law) and/or nazi symbols... that's why in germany there are often low violence versions of games and/or removed swastikas/ss runes etc.

example for CS: Source (low quali vid though, but you'll prolly find vids like that for a lot of games)
7 Mar 2013, 20:59 PM

Wasn't it CS 1.5 that had green blood instead of red in Germany?
7 Mar 2013, 21:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge

it was Half Life 1 in general
7 Mar 2013, 21:10 PM

also, the marines in HL were replaced with robots, just like in c&c1 & 2... they just replaced the names of the units (commando-bot, medic-bot, grenadier-bot etc.) changed the blood color (red to black) and the squish sound (instead of cracking bones the sound of a tin can being squished)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 48
unknown 17
Germany 7
unknown 4
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L