Login

russian armor

DOW2 Veteran Apslao needing help with COH2

6 Jun 2014, 01:20 AM

I've been having some serious learning curves with this game. I've tried to play as the russians initially. I just can't seem to get the feel down!!! I'm playing the cpu on easy and winning..but not impressively. I play on standard...and get demolished! As russians, it seems that I just get overwhelmed by heavy armor...but can't seem to stop it. Either I'm constantly behind in funds, or tech, or my army is always too small.

I tried it with the germans. Better...but I still lose to standard...just not as bad.

So it brought me to this question. From playing DOW 2 since it's debut...how do the russians and germans compare to DOW2 army playstyles?

Is there any similarities in feel at all?

What is the macro playstyle idea of Russians?

What is the macro playstyle idea of Germans?

Help me out with the big canvas picture! Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the microing
details myself.
6 Jun 2014, 03:19 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Gotta replay?
6 Jun 2014, 03:28 AM

No...mainly because they'd be embarrassing lol. I'm finding myself having a hard time microing everything.
6 Jun 2014, 06:24 AM

Playing against the AI is weird compared to playing vs real people, but I think your best bet is to download replays and look at the builds, then try to copy a few and alter them to suit your preference/playstyle.

It sounds like your problem might just be micro related... its hard to give a big picture playstyle ideas since both factions can be played relatively campy or aggressively. If you don't understand why you're struggling the best thing you can do is post a replay.
7 Jun 2014, 18:37 PM

I'll see what I can do
8 Jun 2014, 12:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge

tbh just cause your "bad" doesn't mean anything. if it makes you feel any better ill post a replay of how bad i am. :D
8 Jun 2014, 19:26 PM

Playing against the AI is weird compared to playing vs real people, but I think your best bet is to download replays and look at the builds, then try to copy a few and alter them to suit your preference/playstyle.

It sounds like your problem might just be micro related... its hard to give a big picture playstyle ideas since both factions can be played relatively campy or aggressively. If you don't understand why you're struggling the best thing you can do is post a replay.

I was really trying to see what the playstyles for the two armies were. I figured maybe I'm playing the wrong army, or with the wrong command? I generally get better quicker when I have a broad idea of what to do...and just micro my way to do it.
10 Jun 2014, 03:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jun 2014, 01:20 AMapslao
I've been having some serious learning curves with this game.

That's just how CoH is! Perfectly normal. You just have to figure out the timings and counters, but it takes a while before you start to get the hang of it. And when you think you got it, you'll get rolled by something completely different.

To get a feel for the soviets, I'd start by playing with conscripts a lot. You can basically make it through an entire game with only conscripts and AT-guns. The conscripts can do anything if they get the upgrades for it. Normally you want to keep the pressure on the germans (attack, harass and capture) and get a small advantage going into the mid-game. Conscripts are stronger than Grenadiers in close-range.

German T1 gives the player a lot of choices for support-weapons as well as the core infantry (Grenadiers). Try bulding 4-5 grenadiers and perhaps an mg or two. This should be enough for you to keep some territory before you commit to any tech. The germans can't spread out as much, they need to stay closer together so they wont get outnumbered by a soviet flank.

In general you could say that an army should consist of 4-5 infantry squads, 1-2 support squads, 1-2 AT-guns and then finally tanks. Also I find it that playing against AI really put a strain on your micro since they really like to spread out and fight all over the map rather than making coordinated attacks.
13 Jun 2014, 22:41 PM

That's just how CoH is! Perfectly normal. You just have to figure out the timings and counters, but it takes a while before you start to get the hang of it. And when you think you got it, you'll get rolled by something completely different.

To get a feel for the soviets, I'd start by playing with conscripts a lot. You can basically make it through an entire game with only conscripts and AT-guns. The conscripts can do anything if they get the upgrades for it. Normally you want to keep the pressure on the germans (attack, harass and capture) and get a small advantage going into the mid-game. Conscripts are stronger than Grenadiers in close-range.

German T1 gives the player a lot of choices for support-weapons as well as the core infantry (Grenadiers). Try bulding 4-5 grenadiers and perhaps an mg or two. This should be enough for you to keep some territory before you commit to any tech. The germans can't spread out as much, they need to stay closer together so they wont get outnumbered by a soviet flank.

In general you could say that an army should consist of 4-5 infantry squads, 1-2 support squads, 1-2 AT-guns and then finally tanks. Also I find it that playing against AI really put a strain on your micro since they really like to spread out and fight all over the map rather than making coordinated attacks.

Excellent, that's what I'm looking for. Seems like I'm trying to "tier up" too soon. But it seems with the CPU...that they have a distinct resource advantage (EVEN AT STANDARD!)...so that's why I'm having so much trouble with counters. Tanks start rolling out before I have anything to counter with, and I can't tell to either go with infantry upgrades for AT...or just to go with AT units.

I'll try to post a replay...but can you post Vs. AI replays?
14 Jun 2014, 03:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge

AT Grenades will damage tanks and slow them down, but won't kill them by themselves (unless you have a LOT of conscripts)

A couple will kill light armour.

The AI builds a lot of infantry and generally techs slower than human players; they also, perhaps as a cause, like to build munitions caches rather than fuel, so end up with fewer tanks in the later game.

So if you feel like you are being swamped and outnumbered in the early game, you probably are because they are not putting resources into teching. You rushing your tech will often get you an advantage because the AI won't have counters out (but if you do that, then go T3...)

Generally for the Soviets - and I apologise if you know this already, you go T1 or T2, then T3 or T4.

If you are having issues with fighting armour, then I suggest T2 and then T4.

T2 will get you the ZIS, and if necessary the Maxim to control infantry (though I prefer to steal MG42s) if I can.

T4 gets you the mighty Su-85

Remember to lay mines, and if you have real problems facing armour take some guards.

Button will pin the tank in place so everything else can kill it
26 Jun 2014, 03:29 AM

I've been having some serious learning curves with this game. I've tried to play as the russians initially. I just can't seem to get the feel down!!! I'm playing the cpu on easy and winning..but not impressively. I play on standard...and get demolished! As russians, it seems that I just get overwhelmed by heavy armor...but can't seem to stop it. Either I'm constantly behind in funds, or tech, or my army is always too small.

I tried it with the germans. Better...but I still lose to standard...just not as bad.

So it brought me to this question. From playing DOW 2 since it's debut...how do the russians and germans compare to DOW2 army playstyles?

Is there any similarities in feel at all?

Help me out with the big canvas picture! Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the microing
details myself.

Wehrmacht are most like Eldar. Their units are initially expensive and somewhat fragile, but by mid game you have enough vet and armour to be quite durable. Additionally, you're a complete late game powerhouse.

Soviets are Imperial Guard.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS