Login

russian armor

Ostheer Sniper (1v1), Large Post

23 May 2014, 23:45 PM

For the love of god l2p and adapt. So sick people wanting to buff german units for no reason at all.

1. Germans have rifle nade to kill soviet sniper teams.
2. Germans have more accurate mortars to kill sniper teams.
3. Gemans have p2w commander that only the most gutless sack of shit players exploit.
4. If the german player is a complete peice of shit he will vet up his mortor with the p2w commander or vet his sniper and use the special shot.

You cannot compare sniper versus sniper in coh2. The game is not symmetrical. So stop trying to take the Germans back to hold my hand daddy while I play mode. The Germans are finally coming to a point where respectable players can use the faction and feel like an asshole for using overpowered bullshit and getting free wins when you do not deserve them.

Sorry for the language, I just get really upset when people rally the german player base for unnecessary buffs.
24 May 2014, 00:39 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2014, 21:29 PMBryan

I appreciate your a pretty good, top 10 player Vindicare so if you could please expand upon this that would be great :). I believe sniper play in VCoh took a while to develop, so i'm open to other opinions.

The Ostheer sniper already has quite a few defensive traits. Most obviously his cloak and his recloak time (after shooting) which is superior to that of the soviet sniper. I've had quite a few games where I simply cloak my sniper and jump from cover to cover to avoid getting killed where a retreat may get him killed.

Both snipers send their targets to ground for a couple of seconds, allowing you to control advancing squads and put some distance between the sniper and the enemy.

The Ostheer sniper also has a stun shot which is quite handy for using on charging squads to help him retreat (since it resets rifle cooldown between shots).

I believe making the sniper even better at defense (be it through HP and/or armor buffs) would basically make him nigh unstoppable except from a counter sniper (which was already mentioned). The sniper is an expensive supplementary unit that slowly whittles down the soviet army. If the enemy somehow manages to get an infantry squad right on top of him, or a scout car for that matter, he should be rewarded with a high probability of killing that elusive sniper. He's already very easy to keep alive at long distances and I haven't lost a sniper to "bad" RNG(first mortar fire, 1-shot crit on retreat, etc.) in ages; this is mostly because these occurrences are exceedingly rare and very easy to avoid with proper care.

In short - I can be aggressive with the sniper and keep him on the front-lines, but that puts him in the way fire and greatly increases his chances of dying. As such, I prefer to keep him back more and give him heavy screening/protection with grens and MGs. This sacrifices some map control, but is great for a defensive war of manpower attrition.
24 May 2014, 00:42 AM

I think a health buff would be too hard to counter. That's why it's better to decrease the cost, to reduce the need to make up for the price and loss when it dies to bad RNG.

280-320 mp and 4 upkeep. It will make the unit more accessible. It's only 1 model, so why should it have the same cost and upkeep as soviet snipers.
24 May 2014, 01:17 AM
Developer Relic Badge

I hardly think a minor health boost would make him unstoppable. He'd still only take 1-2 more rifle bullets depending on how you buffed it.

Interesting thing from what I've noticed. Incendiary Shot is also a squad finisher because it always hits, even when the unit is retreating, from what I've noticed.
24 May 2014, 02:39 AM

Agree with Vindicare. It's clear that most people can't use the German sniper, but that's because they aren't microing well. The question is: should the game be balanced assuming that people can't micro properly? I've seen streamers who people consider top players unable to keep snipers in cloak and alive, and now everyone thinks the german sniper is weak.

That being said, dont think soviet sniper should have double the health of the german sniper
24 May 2014, 02:46 AM

I don't see a problem with the German sniper, if you use cover properly you can pick off the enemy and quickly camouflage, but if you try to one man vrs army with it out of the open it's dead.

The real problem for this game is the Soviet sniper. There were multiple occasions when I'm using the sniper where it got flanked but were able to get away. Also I can take out an entire gren squad with it without any support by just shooting and sprinting away. I even counter sniped a German sniper without realizing it. The damn thing is too easy to use. The Soviet sniper should be one man.
24 May 2014, 03:57 AM

Yeah, I've changed my mind. Ostheer sniper is pretty good especially against T2 and conscript spam. It trades up survivability with lethality and can easily drain a lot of manpower from the manpower intensive soviets. That being said I have countersniped Ostheer snipers a few times by keeping my sniper on hold fire, in cover near my troops and when the Ostheer sniper comes in range I will counter snipe. I've never managed to countersnipe a Soviet sniper yet since
a) you need vet 1
b) I'll rather use armoured car or tanks to chase down snipers since Ostheer sniper is too risky.

IMO, not a good idea to change anything yet otherwise Ostheer sniper will become too OP.
24 May 2014, 23:55 PM

Cheers for the feedback Vindicare, appreciate the response. From my experiences, I find the sniper a pretty risky choice for the reasons i've already outlined (and I think map control is more important then manpower game in coh2, more so then vcoh).

But that won't stop me trying, so if you ever get any good replay examples from competitive games, feel free to post them up and i'll keep an eye out for your streams in the meantime :)

@DanielD, I think the community does have some good players and few use the Ostheer sniper regularly for whatever reason, whether that be an issue of unit consistency or lack of experience with the unit itself we obviously can't tell from our position, I believe Relic would have some more detailed numbers on that, would be interesting to hear how PQ thinks the unit is performing.

And I suppose, at this point, we have to keep Western fronts in mind, perhaps the Ostheer sniper will become more prominent vs USF play.

I'm willing to learn in the meantime and will continue to use the Sniper, as if nothing else, it improves your micro and unit positioning as you really can't make a mistake.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★