Login

russian armor

2p_Working_Title

12 Feb 2013, 07:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I see you did a complete revamp of the tactical layout instead of tuning the other one. May i ask why you threw away the old one completely? It is no critics, but rather a question out of interest to understand the workflow of you devs =)
Because usually when i create a map i already have a layout in mind and build the map to support that layout. From there i usually tweak it instead of redoing it completely.

Anyway, regarding the new layout. There are a few issues in my oppinion. I try to support them with a rudimentary drawing in color, examplary for the left base, cause the layout is mirrored.

• red: It seems like you threw away cut off mechanics for at least one side. If you take a look at the area circled in red, it is hard to disconnect the corner sectors with any of the sectors close to your base. Even worse, there IS a cut-off if you're coming from the other side, so not only do you have an easy time to hold your own resources, you're opponent has an even harder time to hold them himself, on that side.\\
    Also, you also a permanently connected +10 fuel on the same side, so not even that sector alone is harassable. Going left (right)is basicly a no-brainer if you're starting south (north).
  • orange: Maybe you intended the orange +10 ammo sector to be a cut-off sector?! However, a +10 point takes quite a while to cap. Especially because cut-off sectors are usually closer to the enemy base you need them to be quickly capable sectors (SPs in the best case). Otherwise the risk-reward is potentially out of balance. If that sector itself is the point of interest, the story is different. The +10 on semois is a good example here. It's only 30 fuel in total on Semois and taking away 10 of it gives a high reward. But taking away 10 ammo out of 82 isn't so much.
    Additionaly, the resource point itself is positioned quite in the center, so that the defending player shouldn't need much time to interrupt the harrassment.
  • green: Due to the bunching of resource sectors, you create a sweet spot for brit trucks. If you position the truck at the green basket in the figure, the brit has a center of operation that covers potentially 2 VPs and you can hardly take away any of the resources. Similar to Angoville.

But all this is just theocrafting =) Maybe some actual games proof me wrong. All my input is just meant as objective criticism, as food for discussion and maybe something to make potential playtesters aware of.
12 Feb 2013, 12:09 PM

It looks better but there is no cutoff action :( The strat points are too far in the corners to function as cutoffs need more strat points I think instead of having some overly big sectors.
5 of 5 Relic postsRelic 12 Feb 2013, 18:19 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I redid the territory layout because I wasn't too happy with the flow. Semois and Hill 331 went through about half a dozen revisions before ship, so I tend to do that :). I think this layout is close to what I want, it's just a case of shuffling points around now to get a few more cutoffs.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 96

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight