Login

russian armor

user names & reporting violations in COH2

5 Feb 2013, 17:42 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm still quite new to coh but after around 100 matches against human players (and about 400 shoutcasts of Krebs, Inverse, R&P and ImperialDane and not to forget the fantastic SNF season 4 :) I can honestly say that I fell in love with this game and that I enjoy and share the passion and enthusiasm of this community.

Anyway, there is something that made me feel very uncomfortable with coh from the very beginning: players that name themselves or their custom games after famous nazis or using racist names/terms that are insulting and provoking. Today I watched a livestream where the player casting was constantly harassed by some idiot using ingame pm to troll and transport his or her racist idology.

I know what many of you might think now: I should ignore this since there will always be idiots like that or that I should relax and don't make a great fuss about nothing or you might say that this is the other side of the coin of freedom of speech. Well, first of all I don't want to ignore this since I don't think that games should be a plattform of an ideology, espacially not one that advocates violence. Secondly I am quite calm but I just don't like being harassed and more or less unable to stop that. Thirdly I am not saying people shouldn't have their own oppinions but there is a difference between having an oppinion and rubbing it into someones face.

TL;DR:
1. I would like to see some proper functioning of muting/ignoring players ingame and inmenu in coh2 (bound to their keys not damn accounts), most games still miss these functions and I have no clue why.
2. I would like to have the ability to report players inmenu with the ability to attach replays/screens in coh2 (nobody wants a witch hunt).
3. I am supporting the idea of dictionary filters for creating user names and custom games in coh2 that make it more difficult to use inappropriate terms.
5 Feb 2013, 17:53 PM

Keys = Accounts as far as I'm aware, since it'll be tied to Steam
6 Feb 2013, 00:49 AM

What's wrong with using names of famous nazis? It's a WWII game for crying out loud.

Is Stalin allowed? (Oh yeah he's responsible for over 20 million deaths buuut oooh nooo 10 million people died because it was racists, that's much worse because it's racist. Are the names of the 'American Heroes' generals allowed? Like they freed the world from all evil. Like dropping not one, but two atomic bombs burning thousands of innocent people alive and giving others of thousands a slow death. That decision still affects the world today (albeit small).

And also: Oh no we must censor all Nazi names (bad evil evil boys, they need some goods amounts of slapping/spanking) and forget all history so we don't make the same mistake again. (Whut?)

Stop being such a hypocrit about Nazi ideology, or if you are really sincere, stop being a brainless sheep. Brainless sheeps make ideology happen.

Other than that, sure good idea, ingame ignore ability would be nice.

6 Feb 2013, 14:15 PM

I don't get it either... they're just names. Sure if you're called "n****killah" or something just ignorant and insulting, you should get some heat for it. But having "Hitler" for username can't really be that insulting, can it?

Unless you are trying to be insulted, then it'll probably work.
6 Feb 2013, 14:17 PM

If its a policy then its the same for all , why bother with a name unless it has got something to do with identity .
6 Feb 2013, 16:07 PM

How about we grow some thicker skin.
6 Feb 2013, 16:07 PM

I don't know why you are calling me a brainless sheep, but I think I get it: you are a tough guy and obviously angry about something - I am very impressed.

I am not a hypocrite since I clearly refered to any ideology and in particular ideologies that advocate violence. And yes, if it means that I can't name myself Churchill or de Gaulle in order not to get spammed by some Hitler about the final solution then I can accept that. I am not proposing to forget about history, it's quite the opposite, but coh is not a historical documentation, it's a game with a historical basis and there is a difference in that.

No, I am not trying to be insulted, that ridiculous, what would I honestly get from that? Point is that - as far as I can tell - at least within the german part of the community coh (like red orchestra) is very popular amongst facists. What is the problem to make a game that makes it less easy for facists to use it as a plattform for hate?
6 Feb 2013, 16:16 PM

I think waiting for CoH2 is getting people a bit.. agitated. ;)
6 Feb 2013, 17:10 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I hope nobody names themselves after anything like hamburgers or hot dogs, I'm a vegan and I don't want to be reminded that people eat meat.
6 Feb 2013, 17:13 PM

Racism is one thing, but banning names because they were Nazis is just ridiculous.
6 Feb 2013, 19:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2013, 00:49 AM12ocky
What's wrong with using names of famous nazis? It's a WWII game for crying out loud.

Is Stalin allowed? (Oh yeah he's responsible for over 20 million deaths buuut oooh nooo 10 million people died because it was racists, that's much worse because it's racist. Are the names of the 'American Heroes' generals allowed? Like they freed the world from all evil. Like dropping not one, but two atomic bombs burning thousands of innocent people alive and giving others of thousands a slow death. That decision still affects the world today (albeit small).

And also: Oh no we must censor all Nazi names (bad evil evil boys, they need some goods amounts of slapping/spanking) and forget all history so we don't make the same mistake again. (Whut?)

Stop being such a hypocrit about Nazi ideology, or if you are really sincere, stop being a brainless sheep. Brainless sheeps make ideology happen.

Other than that, sure good idea, ingame ignore ability would be nice.

There is plenty of wrong if you elect to represent yourself in any community using a famous nazi name , it shows ignorance and lack of understanding in a collosal level , same goes for Stalin , even Chruschtschow distanced himself from him .

On the topic of the nukes it actually was a good thing they were dropped , appart from the fact that they killed a lot less than conventional bombing raids on japan at least initially , otherwise an invasion in the overlord style would have costed the Allies around a half to a million of cassualties while the Japanese would have endured many more millions of casualties , most of them civilians .

No censorship is a bad thing in itself , also if people base their history knowledge on games then something is really f...ed up .

On Hypocrisy , i dont understand why someone who hates nazi ideology is a hypocrit , its the natural thing to do , maybe if you had observed them from close in the political spectrum of your country you d know more about what you are talking about . Also stop refering to people as brainless sheeps from the comfort of knowing the outcome and if you are correct its more likely your are one as well .

Also banning them would not be ridiculous , it has occured in much more serious situations than online gaming , the reason i am opposed to it is because it sinks you to their level and its largely unrelated to online gaming .

Finally ingame ignore would indeed be nice

6 Feb 2013, 20:02 PM

I hope nobody names themselves after anything like hamburgers or hot dogs, I'm a vegan and I don't want to be reminded that people eat meat.

Humans evolved as omnivores , killing an animal in order to eat it is no murder it follows the laws of nature it is what it is , neither are lions killers they are predators , torturing an animal however should be punishable .
6 Feb 2013, 20:11 PM

I don't get it either... they're just names. Sure if you're called "n****killah" or something just ignorant and insulting, you should get some heat for it. But having "Hitler" for username can't really be that insulting, can it?

Unless you are trying to be insulted, then it'll probably work.

What if you were a Jew and you saw JewIncinarator or Russian and you saw RusSSEXterminator , or HumanInsatiableButcher would you not feel a bit agitated at least . Hitler was all three to my knowledge .
6 Feb 2013, 20:58 PM

Humans evolved as omnivores , killing an animal in order to eat it is no murder it follows the laws of nature it is what it is , neither are lions killers they are predators , torturing an animal however should be punishable .

He was being facetious...
6 Feb 2013, 21:00 PM

I do understand where the OP is coming from, but trying to censor people on the internet is never going to work sadly.
The part I don't understand so much is where you talk about advocating violence...you are playing a game based on a war, where the object is to kill the other faction.
6 Feb 2013, 21:02 PM

7 Feb 2013, 01:03 AM

OP, did you know that many Allied Generals could be tried for war crimes?
Did you know that it was general practice to enslave people not of your race into internment camps?
Granted not a lot of them were death camps, but not all German camps were death camps either.
That Japanese civilians died in American internment camps because Doctors refused to treat them?
That black people were still segregated and lynched in America and nothing was done about it?
Did you know that racism of the level of Nazi party wasn't uncommon anywhere as shown above?

The comment you said that you can live with not being called by a Allied name in CoH 2 not to be spammed by a Hitler talking about Eugenics makes me think that you believe the Allies were in the right.
No they weren't they just won!

Everyone was in the wrong, except for those that did not fight.

Germany DID account for a lot of civilian deaths but compared to the allies as a whole they did not do as much overall, even if we do not count Russia since they were only technically Allied to the West.

Kafrion, that excuse about the Atomic Bombs does make sense. But one thing.
They still did that out of racism and no noble intentions same as the Nazi party. Think on that.

I am sick of people blaming Germany for all racism and ignoring their own war crimes, racism prejudice ignoring the fact everyone was as bad as each other, and thus making themselves out to be right when all it was is a conflict as any other.

TLDR: Almost every General in WW2 is a war criminal, everyone was wrong no one was right. Good day.

And in game ignore is a very good idea.
7 Feb 2013, 03:42 AM
Senior Caster Badge

He was being facetious...

I wasn't actually joking about the vegan part, though. I am vegan. But banning people for being named after evil people is stupid. Ban someone if they're racist in chat but just because someone gets a boner when they pretend to be a German general in a video game doesn't mean you have to get bent out of shape about it and pretend the Holocaust is happening again. I lost like, most of my family tree to the Nazis but nobody needs to be banned for having a name that reminds me of that. Hell, I'd rather that nobody forget what the Nazis did, or what Stalin did, and if we go around banning people for just being tangentially related to that, we're going way too far.

So yeah, don't ban people just for having evil names. But I agree with the OP that trolls need to get banned.

(I do want to note that I think that anyone who names themselves after some high Nazi official is super creepy and fucked up, though, because I mean come on, NAZIS...)
7 Feb 2013, 09:35 AM

@Tycho: I can understand that you might dislike a user naming himself meatlove ;) and I agree that my suggestion to disallow the use of certain names leads to the question of where to draw the line between what is and is not appropriate. In this particular case I would argue that there is a great difference between the consumption of meat and the systematic killing of people. Oh and I am not saying that people should get banned for using the name of a famous nazi, I am suggesting a filter for said names and I would appreciate the ability to report a player that for example uses the chat function to spam insults of any kind (which would involve being called a m*therf****r, too).

@Sanpravus: Yes, one can not play coh without killing the other faction and coh can to some extend be seen as a simulation of war which always involves violence. Well, I wouldn't want to play coh, if the goal was to win the game by let's say torturing prisoners of war. Games are a great way to switch into roles one can't or wouldn't want to be irl but personally I don't see the point of games that are build around excessive violence as the main gaming mechanism and story element (like Manhunt for example). Anyway, killing the pixel soldiers of my opponent in an rts or demonstrating my opponent that I believe he or she is not worth living are not the same things.

@Ildanach: I didn't say that I believe in a good or noble war and it's common sense that knowledge about history can never be objective, but I don't need to relativize Germanys role in WW2 in order to adress that issue.
7 Feb 2013, 20:02 PM

I will rename myself 'Guy Neutral' to avoid offending anyone. Though even that would propably offend some right wing feminists.

Also, speaking of cat predators; did you know that they occasionally play with their food (alive) and actually torture them for fun?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★