Login

russian armor

Retreat system is useless

29 Apr 2014, 07:38 AM
Patrion 14

I think this is the magic word. Sure, if you have bad luck you'll lose your team weapons. But at least try to keep an eye on them when in combat.

29 Apr 2014, 07:46 AM
Honorary Member Badge

to be dead honest not matter how quote on quote unfair it is or annoying or how much you don't like it.

you're not the only one who has faced this, but you are the only one not to check the top box. :)
29 Apr 2014, 07:48 AM

It's because the animation of packing up the weapon needs to be completed before it retreats.
I think it would be better if the other guys in the squad died first , and the gunner as last. In that way, the squad still die, but the animation can still be completed.
29 Apr 2014, 08:28 AM

It's because the animation of packing up the weapon needs to be completed before it retreats.
I think it would be better if the other guys in the squad died first , and the gunner as last. In that way, the squad still die, but the animation can still be completed.

I agree. It makes anticipating hard, when a random crit can actually double the packup-time.
and
29 Apr 2014, 09:49 AM

It's because there is a horrible latency problem in CoH2 multiplayer net code.

I did a comparison with Starcraft, I connected to the korean SC2 server, to test out the command latency. My ping to the korean server is 250-280. My command lag was only 400 ms.

In CoH2, with a ping of 140ms, I have a command latency of nearly 600 ms!?
29 Apr 2014, 10:20 AM

Agreed. Retreat is useless at the moment - never use it
29 Apr 2014, 10:21 AM

Maybe an alternate retreat button (ctrl+t?) that let's the crew disband the gun/mortar and retreat as weapon crew squad (with the XP) which can be reinforced with a new weapon from the HQ at an appropriate cost.
Problem could be the tactic of weapon spawning by retreating constatntly that way, but that has to be balanced with the new gun cost. Or they need to recover their weapon on foot.
This could also work for AT gun crews. They could dodge artillery that way and get back to their gun if it's still intact. You'd just need a new unit, the weapon crew without the heavy weapon. Would work for both sides.
30 Apr 2014, 00:35 AM

What a shame! Have you packed heavy MG while burning in flames? It is not easy, comrade! ;)
I would personally leave the mg and go jump in the lake.
30 Apr 2014, 00:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2014, 10:21 AMUmbert
Maybe an alternate retreat button (ctrl+t?) that let's the crew disband the gun/mortar and retreat as weapon crew squad (with the XP) which can be reinforced with a new weapon from the HQ at an appropriate cost.
Problem could be the tactic of weapon spawning by retreating constatntly that way, but that has to be balanced with the new gun cost. Or they need to recover their weapon on foot.
This could also work for AT gun crews. They could dodge artillery that way and get back to their gun if it's still intact. You'd just need a new unit, the weapon crew without the heavy weapon. Would work for both sides.
I like that idea. Like a quick retreat, screw the weapon thing. wWe can dream but I don't think that will ever happen.
30 Apr 2014, 01:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2014, 09:49 AMand
It's because there is a horrible latency problem in CoH2 multiplayer net code.

I did a comparison with Starcraft, I connected to the korean SC2 server, to test out the command latency. My ping to the korean server is 250-280. My command lag was only 400 ms.

In CoH2, with a ping of 140ms, I have a command latency of nearly 600 ms!?

Nope because the "lag" happens even after the retreat symbol pops up. If it actually was lag, it would be a delay in the symbol showing too. Very often they idle for several seconds after the retreat indicator.

Not this either. It does happen (and makes it even worse), but it also happens even when they aren't taking crew losses.
30 Apr 2014, 16:34 PM

I like that idea. Like a quick retreat, screw the weapon thing. We can dream but I don't think that will ever happen.

Thanks!
Here's the fleshed out idea
Every Support weapon gets a retreat button. AT-Guns, Artillery, Mortars and HMGs. When such a squad retreats they will become a Weapon Crew of their respective type with their distinctive veterancy. Example: If you retreat a PAK40 crew, 4 men will retreat to the HQ. They will be an "AT-Gun Weapon Crew" with "AT-Gun veterancy". Weapon crews of all type always recrew abandoned guns completely. All squad members arm the gun. So if you go back with your 4 men squad to the PAK40 all 4 men will arm it and the veterancy will be restored to the gun. If they would arm a different gun, like a mortar they will become a Mortar Weapon Crew with mortar veterancy and lose their AT-Gun veterancy. Hence if you retreat them from the Mortar they will be a Mortar Weapon Crew.

Mortars and HMGs will get a second retreat button to retreat without the gun, abandoning the gun. This could become the standard retreat button and the retreat with gun the "advanced retreat" because retreat should by standard get the crew out there ASAP.

Original Weapon Crews have their standard fighting capabilities (similar to Pioneers/Engineers?). Should be reinforced for their normal cost and need a minimum of two men to arm support weapons.

Maybe now the last man on a Mortar or AT-Gun can auto-retreat to the HQ. This would prevent him from running through the enemy ranks giving line of sight to artillery.

Addendum
And if s.o. with influence should read this: Please lower the minimum recrew count for normal squads to 2. So Axis 4-Men squads can sensibly capture equipment in the field without having 1-Man squads with low health (if there's no medic yet).

And please reintroduce health bars for support weapons! You did it in CoH1 and it was super. Just a small white/grey bar above the blue health bar or an overlay above the blue health bar (stripes?). That's all.
30 Apr 2014, 16:35 PM

6 May 2014, 03:32 AM

Permanently Banned
For me, the system is very beast, the guys taking shot all over the place, even if you are on the ground dying desperados, click retry and ready, they get up and running quickly that neither: the flash.

3 or 5 seconds, too much for you? Sorry, go play battlefield fantasy war.
6 May 2014, 07:34 AM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2014, 03:32 AMBravus
For me, the system is very beast, the guys taking shot all over the place, even if you are on the ground dying desperados, click retry and ready, they get up and running quickly that neither: the flash.

3 or 5 seconds, too much for you? Sorry, go play battlefield fantasy war.

your post isnt very clear. I dont get it.
6 May 2014, 15:03 PM

Permanently Banned

your post isnt very clear. I dont get it.

Retry button is a magic system, that put you infantry to run ultra fast to base with no problem...

Even if they were taking bombs and shooting from all sides, surrounded, etc...
6 May 2014, 15:08 PM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2014, 15:03 PMBravus

Retry button is a magic system, that put you infantry to run ultra fast to base with no problem...

Even if they were taking bombs and shooting from all sides, surrounded, etc...

Sounds like you should really enjoy the "not one step back" commander, if its ever released. I would strongly consider taking a break from the game and playing something more realistic like ARMA or something, until that commander is released. Because realism ALWAYS equals more fun, and should be the only factor in game design...right....RIGHT!?
6 May 2014, 15:39 PM

Permanently Banned

Sounds like you should really enjoy the "not one step back" commander, if its ever released. I would strongly consider taking a break from the game and playing something more realistic like ARMA or something, until that commander is released. Because realism ALWAYS equals more fun, and should be the only factor in game design...right....RIGHT!?

It's the problem of going getting older, more demanding, for us the game will never be perfect, there will always be something, but there are things that are easy to solve.

I can not stop playing this game, even though he has many unreal things.
6 May 2014, 15:41 PM
Patrion 310

Sounds like you should really enjoy the "not one step back" commander

That TOW mission was a real pain, always hitting and T and wondering why it isn't working :p Manually walking all your squads back to base to heal was a pita.
6 May 2014, 16:16 PM

I agree. It makes anticipating hard, when a random crit can actually double the packup-time.

Anticipate the random crit :D
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS