Login

russian armor

American Wishlist

17 Apr 2014, 18:05 PM

I was under the impression the soviets had the best arty.
17 Apr 2014, 18:50 PM

Soviets had the most arty. And they used it en-masse. But I think the quality and tactical use of US artillery was far superior. (see this description: http://etloh.8m.com/strategy/artil.html on artillery practices.)

There was a quote I read once from a German soldier about what it was like to face the different allies.

He said the Russians had too low a regard for life and wasted too many troops and that the Commonwealth were well trained and professional soldiers. When asked about the US troops his reaction was "I don't know. I don't remember seeing US troops. All I saw were explosions."

I say this proudly as an American. They fought well. But if I am an infantryman I would prefer to throw a corps' worth of 205, 155 and 105mm shells at the enemy before having to look through the sights of an M-1 Garand.
17 Apr 2014, 19:09 PM

I should add that it would be nice if the men in some artillery and armor units were African American. In late '44 when the Army was suffering from some attrition after 5-6 months of fighting the Army finally called in some all-black artillery and armor regiments. These units performed very well as they had been training during all the time in which they had been held back. Training always makes for better prepared combat units.
17 Apr 2014, 19:15 PM

Permanently Banned
WE NEED CAPTAAAIN 'MURICA
17 Apr 2014, 19:22 PM

It's already been said. Russia had the most artillery. In terms of crew training, mobilization, integration with infantry, logistics, quality of equipment and munitions, communication technology, ballistics calculation technology, artillery theory - USA was vastly superior to all nations in the above mentioned qualities. And other than Russia, USA also had the greatest quantity. A great deal of german/russian artillery was still hauled around by horses even in 1945, USA's artillery was all pulled by mechanized vehicles. Namely the M4 high speed tractor.

If you wanted to put it in simple terms for how COH2 has been balanced, and how I think america should fit into this with its own niche.

Soviets - Good infantry, good anti-infantry
Germans - Good tanks, good anti-tank
USA - Good artillery, good counter artillery (air call-ins).
17 Apr 2014, 19:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 19:15 PMakosi
WE NEED CAPTAAAIN 'MURICA

No we don't! :)

I'll be happy with a bunch of GIs and a handful of Airborne thrown in, backed by the production of GM and Ford, and the designs of John Browning. :thumbsup:
17 Apr 2014, 21:18 PM

T17s - hopefully silence will comeback and play if their here
17 Apr 2014, 21:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 21:18 PMmorten1
T17s - hopefully silence will comeback and play if their here

But T17's weren't even used by the Americans.
17 Apr 2014, 22:40 PM

Permanently Banned
Captian Murica could be like the Tiger Ace, one men squad and oneshoot everything for half year huh?
17 Apr 2014, 23:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2014, 18:50 PMAvNY

Soviets had the most arty. And they used it en-masse. But I think the quality and tactical use of US artillery was far superior. (see this description: http://etloh.8m.com/strategy/artil.html on artillery practices.)

There was a quote I read once from a German soldier about what it was like to face the different allies.

I read a similar quote about American combat style that described the American style of fighting as firing artillery almost endlessly before finally sending in their ground forces.
17 Apr 2014, 23:19 PM

American artillery's main advantage was not number of tubes (it was usually only a bit more than the German in the West) but prodigious supplies and logistical support. W.Allied artillery was also fully motorized, fast to move and respond, and was supported by a dense & world class communications/observation net.

Gun for gun, the US and British/CW artillery fired more rounds and more 'accurate' rounds for that matter than the German/Axis allies or the Soviet.

The Soviet artillery strategy was about the strategic and operational level and not so much the tactical. They had many artillery divisions (350+ guns and mortars) which had no other function than to smash Axis lines with huge firepower. In their rifle corps (2-3 rifle divisions), the artillery (122mm plus) was concentrated at corps rather than the divisional level. The divisions only used light artillery (76mm) for tactical support.

Their guns did not fire as many rounds as the American, but they had more guns and when they fired, they fired all at once with devastating effect. Then the Soviet armies and Tank armies would attack and break through......
18 Apr 2014, 04:53 AM

What do you mean with RR ? :help:

RR = Recoilless Rifles.

It was the upgrade for Airborne Infantry in CoH1 that gave the squad anti-tank capability.
18 Apr 2014, 05:45 AM
Patrion 27

I would like to see the M18 Hellcat get the treatment it deserves as well as including the M24 Chaffe light tank.

How about bangalor mines for the US that are effective when suppressed?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★