Login

russian armor

Streaming with a capture card

27 Jan 2013, 09:36 AM

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I don't know where else.

I currently always stream at 1080p which I love doing, but it still lags a bit at times.
Now I have a friend who owns a Avermedia Live Gamer HD capture card, and for him it really helps in both streaming and capturing, since his CPU gets unloaded.
Now, I have a stronger pc than him.

- i5 2500K overclocked to 4,6 GhZ
- 8 GB RAM
- 2x 6950 2GB in crossfire
- 6 MB/S upload speed

Will a capture card make any difference for me? I have googled all over the place, but I can't find any examples of people with a similar pc that have switched to a capture card to stream games with (in 1080p).
27 Jan 2013, 09:50 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Your system should be fine for streaming in Full HD.

What tools are you using right now to stream? If you didn't do already, i suggest to try open broadcast software, because it is the least resource hungry screen capturing tools out there. What bandwidth does your internet connection have? Do you stream to the twitch server with the lowest ping?

A guide for streaming is just about to be published here on COH2.org, stay tuned.
27 Jan 2013, 10:00 AM

At the moment I just use xsplit, with the capture screen region. I have CoH in windowed borderless mode.
What do you mean exactly by twitch server? I chose a server in xsplit that is nearest to me (I live in Amsterdam), but at twitch itself there doesn't seem to be an option to choose a server.
My connection is 60 up/ 6 down, and I set my bitrate at 3800.
27 Jan 2013, 10:25 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Alright, i highly suggest you stay tuned for the streaming guide by Inverse, which will be published soon, before you spend money on stuff you don't need ;)

with 60 up 6 down, you mean MBit? or 60kb/s up and 6 Mb/s down?

when editing the settings of your twitch.tv channel, there is a dropdown for location, which shows you a list of servers. you should pick the one with the lowest ping. there is also a server in amsterdam, so i guess thats the best one indeed.

For your streaming bitrate, you should test your net speed with one of the speedcheck tools available on the internet (use google). Then choose a bitrate at least 200 kbit less than your maximum speed, and the buffer twice the size.

But like i said, i recommand using open broadcast software, if you want to stream in 1080p, because it is for free and less resource hungry. On xsplilt you have to purchase a license to stream in 1080p at some point.
27 Jan 2013, 10:33 AM

I mean 60 mb/s down, and 6 mb/s up :) So keeping this in mind, I always though 4000 kb/s was a pretty safe bitrate to stream with.

I downloaded open broadcast software, chose Amsterdam as the server, and will start testing it. I already bought a 2-year Xsplit license when it was still in beta, so I don't have to worry about that :)

Thank you very much for your help.
27 Jan 2013, 10:38 AM
Honorary Member Badge

If it doesnt help, try using the 32bit Open Braodcast software version, and instead of capturing monitor as the source, choose game capture. You may run COH without windowmode then. I haven't tried that myself, but heard from people that gamecapture is better than screen capture. Xsplit may have such an option, too, which you may try.
27 Jan 2013, 11:30 AM

Hey guys!

So my experience:

I have - i5 2500K overclocked to 4,2 GhZ
- 8 GB RAM
- 670 Memory up to 7000 Mhz \ and Gpu up to 1100 Mhz (like 680 now)
- 50 MB/S upload speed (but i'm using only 5 of them)

So i'm streaming now in 1900*1200 in 1200p (80-90% cpu and 112 FPS in game)

[U can watch my noob recorded games here http://www.twitch.tv/tipaopa]

Capturing:
1. 32 bit version of Open Braodcast software (really low cpu usage)
2. Game in window mode (dont know why) + ctrl alt z (sript)
3. Capturing game source
Game source (dont use screen)

бесплатный хостинг картинок

I set as default q - 8 (but i think i can try 10 caz it works fine)
30 FPS in settings - 112 FPS in game (80-90% CPU)

хостинг картинок

4. Settings in game
хостинг фото

хостинг картинок

I didn't try Ultra settings (but i think it will works too). So u can try different settings

GL HF

Updated:
Xsplit takes a lot of resourses if u use "Source Game". Much more then Open Braodcast for me. So in this time its impossible for me to stream 1900*1200 in 20! FPs without lags and slow motion.
27 Jan 2013, 12:11 PM

Nice little guide there, thanks :)
I have been testing around with Open Broadcaster Software in 1080p, and it seems I get more FPS and less lag with it than Xsplit. The only thing is, the quality seems lower than the one in Xsplit when both are at 1080p and quality of 10. Can anyone confirm this?
27 Jan 2013, 12:33 PM

imo the avermedia capture card is only worth if you have a 2 pc setup. Most people fix the ingame choppy performance with dxtory, keep in mind 1 pc setup with dxtory gives slighty more quality than any capture card, in my experience the avermedia suffers of tearing at 1080p and also a bit of color degradation, I looked into avermedia forums about tearing but it's how the capture card works, there's no fix atm.

Also quality 10 is overkill imo, 7 or 8 looks almost the same with much less cpu stress, it might help with ur ingame performance. About xsplit preset, in my experience the i5 2500 can't go more than default preset (veryfast) at 1080p, maybe with oc you can use a slower preset but then you are stressing your cpu wich gives you ingame lag. Good luck.
27 Jan 2013, 15:31 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Xsplit + DXtory is ideal. That is what we use for SNF.
27 Jan 2013, 21:36 PM

Xsplit + DXtory is ideal. That is what we use for SNF.

Sounds great! Lets check!

I'm watching SNF right now.
I think source resolution is 1920*1080
FPS is jumping around 20-40 (cheking by Fraps).

But it looks like 5-10 Fps while u moving camera or unints moving.
In fact SNF today is a slow slideshow at any stream resolution!
(Nothing personal i really like to watch SNF)

Well almost top resolution slow slideshow is not ideal for me.

- - -

In other hand we have Open Broadcaster Software:

So now i have 2 windows open:
[SNF] and [My stream]
Huge difference in output. No doubt.

Open Broadcaster Software (hi resolution and output 1920*1200 1200p):
- Great Picture
- No freezes
- No slow motion
- No artifacts
- 35 real FPS by fraps and u can up it to 60 (on my medium comp config)
- video like real screen picture

So for me Open Broadcaster Software is ideal now from any point of view!
28 Jan 2013, 12:43 PM
28 Jan 2013, 18:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2013, 12:43 PMCyru$
impressive TipaOpa, I will try this! ty :D

Gl man! ) Give me your feed back if u can! )
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 108

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight