Login

russian armor

Somthing very strange,,, COH2 Beta footage

16 Mar 2014, 15:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 15:06 PMHS King
2 things - your experience with beta version of coh 2 has got f all to do with what I am saying. Not relevant at all to the discussion, neither is the improvements to the be beta to now. Why you may ask?

The reason is that just about everything in the game we have now to the vidoes I am talking about is different, the way vehicles move, the way terrain gets blasted, they way grenades and flame works, the way physics work,the planes that deliver ordnance, the way mp works,the way squad and unit health works and the animations for death of infantry, the way paks and tanks shoot are all different - its not just cosmetic, the way things interact with the game world is not the same. The amount of extra detail is quite marked, its much more coh like then what coh2 is like right now... and

Point 2 - if you can honestly watch the beta casts from dane (1-4 havent seen the rest) and come back here and say the game in those vidoes and the game we have now is built of the same engine then I just cant help you.

I guess you didn't play the beta version you're talking about ? (the earliest beta build)
The game was horrible at that time. Some of the points you just mentioned can't be judged just by watching a video. Why is my beta experience irrelvant ? This thread is just as bad as your "balance" threads lol (!!!MOLOTOVS OP!!!)
16 Mar 2014, 15:42 PM

wow you guys are still missing the point, I think the poster's point is that the game looks and sound better during the beta than it does now.

It shows how Relic "optimized" their game but removing some effects and visual quality to improve the game performance.
16 Mar 2014, 15:44 PM

wow you guys are still missing the point, I think the poster's point is that the game looks and sound better during the beta than it does now.

It shows how Relic "optimized" their game but removing some effects and visual quality to improve the game performance.

Thank you!.. nothing to do with balance all to do with how it looks and feels.
16 Mar 2014, 15:46 PM

Priceless.

You have to dig deep and find out what really happened HS King.

All the puzzle pieces seem to be there.... but they aren't making any sense. Something is missing, something feels off. It's like there is something going on behind the curtains that is way to big for you, for me - for all of us.
16 Mar 2014, 15:48 PM

Priceless.

You have to dig deep and find out what really happened HS King.

All the puzzle pieces seem to be there.... but they aren't making any sense. Something is missing, something feels off. It's like there is something going on behind the curtains that is way to big for you, for me - for all of us.

Yes very funny.. still no good explanation as to why the beta version of the game not only looks, but runs faster, smoother and seemingly with none of the huge errors that plague it to this day - ie terrible inf combat, terrible rng, flame rng and one shot squad wipes, and my most hate issue non existant physics
16 Mar 2014, 16:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 15:48 PMHS King

Yes very funny.. still no good explanation as to why the beta version of the game not only looks, but runs faster, smoother and seemingly with none of the huge errors that plague it to this day - ie terrible inf combat, terrible rng, flame rng and one shot squad wipes, and my most hate issue non existant physics

Instead of posting nonsense in the forums go and play the game you're talking about lol
you're some random low skill player who thinks he can judge the game. Maybe you should take a look at the official forums there are tons of them. The issues you mentioned in this post have absolutely nothing to do with your stupid idea that there was a "different engine" in the beta. LOL what a load of ********, seriously.
16 Mar 2014, 16:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 16:08 PMQubix

Instead of posting nonsense in the forums go and play the game you're talking about lol
you're some random low skill player who thinks he can judge the game. Maybe you should take a look at the official forums there are tons of them. The issues you mentioned in this post have absolutely nothing to do with your stupid idea that there was a "different engine" in the beta. LOL what a load of ********, seriously.

how about instead of posting a usless reply you watch the videos and realise you have no idea what you are talking about. You get a game severely downgraded and act as if nothing happened.

I play when I feel like it and im not the best player, but I have played both coh and coh 2 and I know coh2 feels nothing like the first game nor does it act in a manner that is shown in the videos.

As you can see a lot of the poeple that have watched more than 5 seconds of the videos agree with me if you want to be ignorant do it but dont cry to me about it

16 Mar 2014, 16:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 15:48 PMHS King

Exactly. We have to find out why that is. Maybe we can interrogate playes who played the alpha/beta and ask the hard questions.
16 Mar 2014, 16:27 PM

Exactly. We have to find out why that is. Maybe we can interrogate playes who played the alpha/beta and ask the hard questions.

I guessing you are trolling me but I think it would be not a bad idea to ask some of the early players or dane what he thinks happened.
16 Mar 2014, 16:38 PM

I feel like this topic has derailed and gotten out of hand, resulting in petty insults and trolling.

Now, I agreed the beta looks and sounds better, but that's it. I played the beta extensively when it came out, and everyone here saying it played like dogshit is right. The balance and input lag was at its worse, but that isn't really what King is arguing against, so why are people even bringing it up?

King, there is no "other engine". Relic most likely "optimized" the game by removing some visual and audio elements, and that's it. Let's not throw around wild absolutes when the only proof to show for it, is some casts from over a year ago.
16 Mar 2014, 16:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 16:11 PMHS King

how about instead of posting a usless reply you watch the videos and realise you have no idea what you are talking about. You get a game severely downgraded and act as if nothing happened.

I play when I feel like it and im not the best player, but I have played both coh and coh 2 and I know coh2 feels nothing like the first game nor does it act in a manner that is shown in the videos.

As you can see a lot of the poeple that have watched more than 5 seconds of the videos agree with me if you want to be ignorant do it but dont cry to me about it

the "feeling" of a game is completely objective and can't be defined, so it doesn't prove shit

+1 TheCrimsonSpire
16 Mar 2014, 16:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I feel like this topic has derailed and gotten out of hand, resulting in petty insults and trolling.

yes i agree that this thread is going to hell in a hand basket, can we please stop insulting/trolling (whatever it is) each other and at least try to have a civil discussion. :)

thank you,
me :D
16 Mar 2014, 18:29 PM

This, we aren't talking about balance here. Removing visual quality, sounds, and effects is not optimizing, it's watering down. Give us the Sounds Back!
16 Mar 2014, 18:42 PM
Donator 11

Omg dont you understand that in the end of development of a game they optimize it? Thats why sometimes games look worse in the final product than early screenshots because they realize the game doesnt run very good on the average joe's computer. I rather have framerate over graphics and coh2 doesnt even run good as it stands now and you would still want to trade more framerate for fancy explosions?.

That they optimized the build doesnt mean they threw out the engine and started over in a (lol) dow2 engine.. wtf that is basicly starting over at square 1 again.
16 Mar 2014, 18:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 18:42 PMspajn
Omg dont you understand that in the end of development of a game they optimize it? Thats why sometimes games look worse in the final product than early screenshots

No thats because screenshots are always heavily photoshopped :P
And taking out stuff is not optimizing.

However, having played the alpha, closed beta and so on I never noticed that the graphics got worse.

Afaik Imperial Dane doesent even play on the highest graphical settings either and yet I sometimes have the feeling the game looks better on his comp when watching his streams :D

Placebo.

You can still set your postprocessing to 0 to enhance the graphic though
16 Mar 2014, 19:09 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

A lot of animations, sound effects, small graphic effects have been removed. If you just put all the details at max and play the campaign or a TOW mission, followed by a MP match, you would easily see the difference.

It is pretty clear to my eyes that they did this to increase the game performances even if I'd really like to see at some point a patch/expansion to re-introduce them and increase the overall game quality (like it happened with the 1.8GB patch to transition from COH to COH:Opposing Fronts)
16 Mar 2014, 19:35 PM
Caster Badge

Sure it looks different. It was beta. The UI was a lot different for starters. Always a lot of changes.

Not sure why you're getting hung up on some old footage. The current game hardly looks bad.

But overall. I'm hardly seeing a difference or feeling a difference. Overall the current game plays better than the beta in many regards.
16 Mar 2014, 19:47 PM

you just dont understand dane. the game was better in every way. did you even watch the footage?
16 Mar 2014, 20:42 PM

I recall there was actually a patch which changed (removed?) many transition animations to make issuing orders feel snappier.

I'm afraid op doesn't have a lot of knowledge of "game engines" for that matter; I don't see how the changes that are highlighted here would indicate the game has been ported to a new (or do you mean an older?) engine during the beta phase.

edit. wooof ;)
16 Mar 2014, 22:07 PM

Good points in the last few posts - I feel that is true then they done a big disservice though. I watched a few hours of the old footage and we are really missing out on some great effecrs and terrain destruction. What pisses me off more is that I honestly think the game seems to play out better in a lot of regards in this footage when compared to a lot of the latest casts. I still dont know why they would optimize a game in that way if people still complain about bad performance as it obvioslt didnt work.. they could have just added in options in game to turn down a variety of graphical and physics options

But yes thread got derailed and lots of unproductive posts
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS