Login

russian armor

Somthing very strange,,, COH2 Beta footage

15 Mar 2014, 23:42 PM

just looked at some old beta footage... and the effects, terrain deformation, physics, inf combat and tank on tank combat actually looks and feels so much better in this then the final game.. I mean wtf did they actually go back and make the final game worse on purpose?

Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kby5p2RgeoI
15 Mar 2014, 23:57 PM

Look at 27 mins 38 mins to see what I mean about it.
16 Mar 2014, 00:03 AM

Ok so the only possible explanation is that they used a completely different game engine for the beta, this looks and feels like the old COH in a good way, all the vehicles and inf move beautifully and quickly and the effects look incredible - when compared with the game we have now its completely different.

If coh2 was anything like this then no one would be complaining.
16 Mar 2014, 00:18 AM

looks cooler in beta than in the current mode
16 Mar 2014, 00:19 AM

lol, I implore you to not make an ultimate guide on how to discern between different game engines or the like. The beta was not better, if anything I remember the depressing nature of blizzards stupidly slowing down your troops to a crawl, hilarity of 100% engine/main gun damage from rams and super OP mortars.

My most major gripe iirc was that tracers from small arms/hmgs were not as pronounced as vcoh, and explosions didn't seem as cool. So.. I disagree with all your points.
16 Mar 2014, 00:25 AM

lol, I implore you to not make an ultimate guide on how to discern between different game engines or the like. The beta was not better, if anything I remember the depressing nature of blizzards stupidly slowing down your troops to a crawl, hilarity of 100% engine/main gun damage from rams and super OP mortars.

My most major gripe iirc was that tracers from small arms/hmgs were not as pronounced as vcoh, and explosions didn't seem as cool. So.. I disagree with all your points.

Glad u watched the video man - there is absolutely no way the game we got is anything even as close to what this version of the beta in the video is like - the shit u are talking about is balance, this got nothing to do with balance and everything to do with how the game runs, how units respond, how effects look and feel.

Watch the video before you respond or dont bother
16 Mar 2014, 00:26 AM
Donator 11

yeah been watching frontline's beta cast the other day and was thinking the same. graphically game looked nicer in beta. my guess is they removed some of the details to gain overall performance.
16 Mar 2014, 00:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 00:25 AMHS King

Glad u watched the video man - there is absolutely no way the game we got is anything even as close to what this version of the beta in the video is like - the shit u are talking about is balance, this got nothing to do with balance and everything to do with how the game runs, how units respond, how effects look and feel.

Watch the video before you respond or dont bother

I did watch the video and I still disagree with you, particularly my point about small arms tracers, its a small point but watch the mg42 shoot and you can barely see them.

Other than that, I still remember not feeling as positive about it then as I do now. I played it for maybe 50 hours and didn't touch it until a month ago, and am enjoying it more than I did then, so improvements have definitely been made, not the opposite
16 Mar 2014, 00:30 AM

I did watch the video and I still disagree with you

ok fair enough - i assumed you didnt cos it sounded like you were talking about different things. but all good
16 Mar 2014, 00:31 AM

yeah been watching frontline's beta cast the other day and was thinking the same. graphically game looked nicer in beta. my guess is they removed some of the details to gain overall performance.

Hmm possibly but its actually faster on here?

it looks to me more like its squad based health not per unit, and feels like there is side and rear armour not to mention all the different vehicle crits as well as better and faster graphics in this.. the performance actually seems much better on here- Units dont seem sluggish and the tank shots are completely different and much much faster
16 Mar 2014, 00:53 AM

Im calling it: There is no way that beta game and the game we have is the same - call me crazy but those first beta casts were playing a game on a egine that is much close to vcoh - you can see it in the physics, the cover system, the way units move and retreat as well as inf combat

what we have now is a game based off the DOW2 engine for whatever reason they must have changed it.. possibly due to the sega purchase or some sort of internal issues and they hoped no one would notice.

There is no way those changes are for the better and why would they turn off physics, effects, troop movement, and take out parts of the game which make it worse if they didn't have to.. the game in the videos is not only fast but reactive to player input and the game we get isn't.
Look at the craters and destruction of terrain, now theres only black marks on the ground but there they had craters which got bigger and deeper as more explosions went off.

Something very strange here
16 Mar 2014, 00:56 AM

Before I watched the video, I was scoffing at your post thinking you were delusional, but after seeing some of combat play out in multiple scenes it really does look better.

I can't quite put my finger on specifically why it has changed visually, but it does look different. I feel like it sounds different too.
16 Mar 2014, 01:06 AM

Before I watched the video, I was scoffing at your post thinking you were delusional, but after seeing some of combat play out in multiple scenes it really does look better.

I can't quite put my finger on specifically why it has changed visually, but it does look different. I feel like it sounds different too.

I know right? Im watching another cast from dane and when he moves his cursor its clearly the old vcoh cover system where the dots show u where your inf will position itself nothing like the one we have ( which is a bad copy of it)

Everything is different, but subtle, even the way the inf dies and doesnt bounce and how they fight on the move even *before the fix to make inf shoot 180 degrees..

So yeh its undeniable
16 Mar 2014, 01:08 AM
Patrion 15

As far as balance and input lag are concerned the version we have now is a much, much better experience for me. The battle servers have made command lag almost a non-issue, and has made micro feel rewarding and great. Can't say the same for the beta. Perhaps if you had an amazing computer and connection it would run smoothly like in the video, but I think for the vast majority of people the game runs much better now than it did then.
16 Mar 2014, 01:19 AM

As far as balance and input lag are concerned the version we have now is a much, much better experience for me. The battle servers have made command lag almost a non-issue, and has made micro feel rewarding and great. Can't say the same for the beta. Perhaps if you had an amazing computer and connection it would run smoothly like in the video, but I think for the vast majority of people the game runs much better now than it did then.

Mate think about it - the beta we are seeing on these videos was before the beta open to everyone to play. we played the new version of the game not the one shown on the vidoe, the version that is the inferior version to the game shown

As soon as i played the beta of coh2 I knew something was wrong, it felt nothing like coh nothing at all.. the movements, the way squads died ect it was all wrong, and when watching those casts it all looks so similar - it didn't click to me fully until now

Watch any og the old casts, none of the issues we knwo are there, no one shot squad wipes, or random deaths, perfect retreats, vehicle movement is great and so is the depth to armour combat all the effects are different man its crazy

Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7eN0Fol8Hw 44:30 thats all u need to know to see the game was much different, look at the way shocks and grens fight and the nade effects - different game
16 Mar 2014, 01:25 AM

Weird, I agree the way the tanks move seems much more realistic, they rock back and forth the way a tank would over rough ground, there seems to be more detail in the way the treads cause dust and snow to spray around...Note the T34s seems to accelerate much slower too.

16 Mar 2014, 01:43 AM

Mortars sounded better
-but they were fucking SUPER OP, i mean SERIOUSLY OP, spamming 120mm's was a viable tactic on 1v1's.

Cover Icons looked better

Character Portraits looked better
-Although they could do without the snowy animation in winter maps

Ooorah was only 5 munitions.
-made it usable extremely early game, oorahing to cap points. the 5 ---munis to 10 munis changed was not asked for, they did it for no particular reason,

Commander portraits were zoomed out further, and you could see all of the art.
-see more of the defining features, including the uniform

In-Depth Vehicle crits removed.
-including
-loader injured - temporary main gun was unusable
-driver injured - vehicle stationary temporarily
-commander injured - line of sight nullified temporarily
-engine overheat - sort of like engine damage, happened when tanks drove over firepits on winter maps

Mortars sounded better

Elite infantry call ins took the penal slot in T1, and had to be made.
-we wouldn't have had the issue with shock spam if this was still in the game

heavy German tanks had to be built in t3, t4, when unlocked by CP's

panzerwerfer was in t3
-this is so much better, gave Germans viable arty in 1v1's idk why it was changed, no one asked for it.

no P2W doctrines, albeit, NKVD was still fucking useless, and radio intercept was completely broken and didn't work at all.

Hit the dirt was viable, a bit too powerful, but now they nerfed it into history, it's completely useless now

PPSH's were balanced, no one complained about them

AT guns didn't vet up to 3 in 5 shots hitting a tank

Veterancy was actually hard to get, albiet you mostly got it from your troops dying, because it was a 50/50 split (doing damage/losing models)

Shock troops had SVT's and had to be upgraded to PPSH's
-made them a long range AND short range squad, makes sense for elite infantry
-i can imagine there would be something similar in the sense of timed PPSH researches, similiar to barblobs bar popping in coh1

Mortars had a trail, you could retreat if you were fast enough

set up crews had a better looking progress bar when deploying their weapon

Germans had mark target as a vet 1 ability, not stupid waste of munis med packs

conscripts didn't have tripwire flares, i'm not sure what they had, i can't remember, but i know it was more useful.

early tier tanks (t34/su76/p4/ost/t70s) could become immobilized with shots from the call in heavy tanks, ele, isu, is2, tiger

MG42's could actually supress conscripts oorahing, instead of getting molotov critted and forced to retreat

MG's had less tracers, they looked realistic, it looked gritty and nice.

MG's had 3 squad members, and no fucking stupid 25% more damage taken buff

Molotovs seemed to not outright crit kill, but be more of a area denial thing

flamethrowers had a cool effect on winter maps that caused steam when it burnt snow, they also didn't crit as much

PTRS sounded fucking sexy. you have no idea. it sounded like KAPEWW KAPEW omg it made me rock solid.

t34 felt like a fast moving ambush tank, it's main feature wasn't a battering ram, it killed a model most shots, and trying to shreck it with a single panzergren squad would end up in them being wiped or retreating

minimap was zoomed out further, if there was a cap point near a victory point, you could click the minimap easily and tell them to go to each one, unlike in current coh2, where you have to make sure you're not clicking the one you don't want
16 Mar 2014, 01:47 AM
Donator 11

Nice conspiracy theory but if you would come back to earth you would see that changing from one engine to an other is a lot of work, it would have delayed the game for atleast a year if not more. Saying they changed the engine in beta is pure fantasy but thanks for a good laugh.
16 Mar 2014, 01:53 AM
Benefactor 115

Man if only the beta feedback threads didn't get deleted. The current game handles way better than it did in beta phase.

Hyperbole the thread.
16 Mar 2014, 01:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i have a feeling alot of this is going on.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★