Login

russian armor

Napalms impressions of 1v1 game play

15 Mar 2014, 23:57 PM

Is this talking about the series in general or CoH2 in particular? I had the exact opposite impression from CoH2. Ive had fun working in synergy with mate but 1v1 feels pretty dull with the current doctrine system, lack of a proper mid game, and lack of global upgrades (90% games a vehicle rush).
16 Mar 2014, 03:12 AM

Is this talking about the series in general or CoH2 in particular? I had the exact opposite impression from CoH2. Ive had fun working in synergy with mate but 1v1 feels pretty dull with the current doctrine system, lack of a proper mid game, and lack of global upgrades (90% games a vehicle rush).

The devs have been hinting at game progression changes a bit, hence the CP changes. They might be testing out some resource changes now, and I think we will probably see someting in the next two patches.
16 Mar 2014, 09:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2014, 16:26 PMNapalm

I'd argue that call-in superhero units are still pretty present in 2v2, just less likely than the other modes. Got stomped by two pretty good German players using elite troops and calling in King Tigers at the same time last night. If you are USTZ give me a message and we can game it up.

They certainly are, I was just saying that 4v4 is unplayable with mass straffes, bombing runs, etc + supertanks with massive range and survivability. Makes the gameplay just awful

I'm Australia GMT+10, probably 4am where you are when I play :(
16 Mar 2014, 13:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2014, 16:46 PMPorygon

LOL, I played like this since beta, T2?
http://www.coh2.org/topic/5365/strat-the-motherland-needs-no-strat.-just-go-and-fight

Good luck playing grensspam to Tiger against Soviet T1T4

Youre so biased its beyond me.
16 Mar 2014, 20:45 PM
Donator 11

I used to play team games exclusively but have recently turned to 1v1. I started out alternating between wins and losses but my micro has vastly improved and I am starting to rack up some nice win streaks. If you can get over the initial fear of 1v1 and just jump in and learn from your losses by watching replays then your gunna have allot of fun :)
17 Mar 2014, 02:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 20:45 PMBIG RON
I used to play team games exclusively but have recently turned to 1v1. I started out alternating between wins and losses but my micro has vastly improved and I am starting to rack up some nice win streaks. If you can get over the initial fear of 1v1 and just jump in and learn from your losses by watching replays then your gunna have allot of fun :)

Yeah, its great fun until you get better and start noticing that 80% of the games finish in 10-15 min because your opponents cannot cope with current strategy you are using. and just gives up or you don't feel challenged by the futile attempts they make.
It kind of becomes repetitive, since you know 3-4 min into the game if you are going to win or not and you can feel desperation in your opponents moves. Because they have no idea how to deal effectively vs you.
Its kind of like a python strangling its victim slowly but surely.
If ranking-up and stat whoring isn't that important to you, well it can get pretty boring. For me anyway.

What I mean is don't completely immerse yourself into ranks and checking your stats every game, play other modes to. Variety is good to keep you entertained
:)
17 Mar 2014, 02:25 AM

Youre so biased its beyond me.

Care to elaborate what's biased is involved?
17 Mar 2014, 17:23 PM

Porygon, your tactic with Conscripts is nothing new nor cutting edge. I understand you may be attempting to prove a point about conscripts = OP. This tactic can be used as Germans with PGrens or Grens with G43's. In both these cases the German infantry have the ability to counter late game Soviet armor, and stand toe to toe with Soviet doctrinal infantry. "Blobbing" "Spamming", whatever you want to call it is a game mechanic that will never go away.
17 Mar 2014, 17:27 PM

In other news I played a fantastic game yesterday and utilized Penal squads successfully to counter Pgrens. Sadly, conscripts had to act as the tacklers with the Penal's sitting back and taking pot shots. 3 conscripts and 2 penal's seem to be the sweet spot. I doubt this tactic would scale well to other team games.
17 Mar 2014, 17:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2014, 17:27 PMNapalm
In other news I played a fantastic game yesterday and utilized Penal squads successfully to counter Pgrens. Sadly, conscripts had to act as the tacklers with the Penal's sitting back and taking pot shots. 3 conscripts and 2 penal's seem to be the sweet spot. I doubt this tactic would scale well to other team games.
Penals are actually quite good at taking out Pgrens when they have their flamethrower. That little dive they cause them to do when the fire hits can really help you take the advantage and overcome them.

Still a unit shouldn't take a 60 muni upgrade to have a chance to beat an equal cost unit specialized in the same area as it.
17 Mar 2014, 17:47 PM

Yea, not worth it. I used those munitions to use satchel charges on their Pak-40's. The Penal's have to be baby sat constantly, makes them difficult to micro.
17 Mar 2014, 17:47 PM
Patrion 15

Yeah I tried charging a penal squad in green cover w/ a full health pgren squad and they got completely destroyed. I was kind of surprised, makes me wonder if penals will see more use even without a buff if Ost T2 ever becomes a little more relevant.
17 Mar 2014, 18:26 PM

My original comment was aimed at the CoH series in general, including CoH2. My impression is that overall 1v1s offer the deepest most rewarding experience. CoH2 isn't quite as deep as vCoH, I grant you that, but it's very close.

In many cases, I feel like the problem is people have the wrong expectations of CoH2 where they try to make the game work as they'd want to instead of pushing themselves to play the most out what's available.
17 Mar 2014, 18:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2014, 16:46 PMPorygon

Good luck playing grensspam to Tiger against Soviet T1T4

I think gren spam -> T3 is an option vs cons spam into T3, but against soviet T1 -> T4 you need to go T2 -> T4 if you can afford T4.
17 Mar 2014, 19:39 PM

coh2 needs titans.
17 Mar 2014, 21:16 PM

coh2 needs titans.

Neva stop poasting.
17 Mar 2014, 21:19 PM

Yeah I tried charging a penal squad in green cover w/ a full health pgren squad and they got completely destroyed.

Surprised me too. They function very similar to G43's except with less health. I do think a bit of a price adjustment is required but over all I was pleased to see the unit was decent in 1 v 1's. Even better when I stole a Shrek.
17 Mar 2014, 21:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2014, 21:16 PMNapalm

Neva stop poasting.

neva forget
17 Mar 2014, 22:27 PM

neva forget

2 Apr 2014, 01:55 AM

Bump for a super mega awesome update.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias