Login

russian armor

Relic missed a huge opportunity with "mud tech"

2 Mar 2014, 01:59 AM

Permanently Banned
As it stands, blizzard maps are unanimously disliked for 3 key reasons:

• The freezing mechanic is too disruptive to gameplay, 'not fun' for either player
  • The blizzard effect is visually unpleasant. The vision reduction mechanic significantly disrupts game play.
  • The deep snow mechanic is overused on blizzard maps, but is considered a good mechanic that adds depth to game play.

I would argue that "mud tech" had the potential to address the 3 above issues while adding significant map variety to the game.

My vision for the mud tech would have been:

• Replace blizzard effect with heavy rain, perhaps with lightning effects. The effect shouldn't be so heavy that it deters from gameplay.
  • The rain should only slightly reduce vision, and thus not be completely disruptive to gameplay.
  • The rain would cause mud to build up in specific areas of the map, much like heavy snow.

The advantages of this system is the player isn't constantly exposed to deep snow - the mud will only be there for fractions of the game and 'dry up' in a set time after the rain. There is no 'freezing' mechanic, and the vision reduction doesn't completely change game play. Best of all, players don't have to stare at a white screen trying to locate units for a quarter of the match.
2 Mar 2014, 02:02 AM

rain caused massive lag in vcoh aswell like blizzards in coh2
3 Mar 2014, 00:54 AM

Not unanimously, I still enjoy them.

1. The freezing mechanic is immersive to me, if a bit too much at times.
2. I don't agree.
3. Possibly, haven't had too much problem with it. It can mess up some planned maneuvers on the tac map though as part of your pincer maneuver is arriving 20 seconds late.
3 Mar 2014, 00:59 AM

I wouldn't mind blizzards if they didn't effect my computer so dramatically.. I get significant slowdowns and my movement/micro gets decreased as a result. No fun. And my computer is pretty solid. I wish mud tech had rain Etc..
3 Mar 2014, 01:07 AM

I hate mud, especially on Hill :S cant attack the enemy because moving through is soooo slow..
3 Mar 2014, 01:25 AM

Mud or deep snow whatever, they are just bullshit.
They are just making flanking close to impossible.

You know, German tanks need to flank to win, so...
3 Mar 2014, 03:20 AM

Mud and deep snow just favor campy styles of play, which is bad. Blizzards suck because I feel like I have to babysit my units (its a chore), they slow down many computers, and they put the basically put the game on hold until they end. Ultimately they are very boring strategically.

Mud, was a bad idea, but was called for by many players on the forums. Hill 331 is good example of making a classic map zero fun with it. By funneling all vehicle movement away from the mud, and making the map so large that it takes ages to go anywhere, it is a boring map that I always veto now.
3 Mar 2014, 09:14 AM

Mud or deep snow whatever, they are just bullshit.
They are just making flanking close to impossible.

You know, German tanks need to flank to win, so...

No winning for germans if that panther won't flank that T34 derp.

@OP
regarding "problems"

1) Micro issue
2) That is the point
3) Not really overused at all, you have deep snow where you would expect it irl to be.

regarding your solutions, all are equally bad.
3 Mar 2014, 10:07 AM

To me the freezing of troops or reduction of sight was never a problem. It's exactly the damn deep snow (and also now the mud) that pisses me off. Langreskaya winter would be so much better map without all of that deep snow.
4 Mar 2014, 12:08 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Ice is great because it opens up more flanks for more harassment and aggressive options. Deep Snow and Blizzards are just dumb and reward defensive campy play which is really not beneficial to the game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★