Login

russian armor

Countering early bunkers, 1v1 and 2v2

1 Mar 2014, 15:47 PM

As the title says, short of getting a mortar/AT guns how do you guys counter early bunkers? I find that I just really struggle to win games where the Ostheer gets early bunkers up on critical points/cut offs, and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.
1 Mar 2014, 15:48 PM

And even with mortars, it seems to take so long to break down the bunkers...
1 Mar 2014, 18:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Your options include:

Don't let the Germans settle and build then in the first place

Flank them, because early bunkers will not be interlocking and covering each other

Go where he isn't

Realise that he just sank 150 MP and 60 MUN each, so that his field prescence is that much less and he does not have that for anything else (FHT, Shreks, Faust, LMB,etc)

Use clown cars and either drive past them and ignore them or flame them

Rush out a T-70 or Su-76 and use that

Get a Zis

Do not use a mortar
2 Mar 2014, 04:01 AM

Yep, I think a clown car with Engineer flamers might be the option I go for here. Just have to be careful of fausts.

In my opinion they should buff molotov damage against bunkers, but yeah.

I think an issue I have to work at though, is not going to where the fight is, not taking fights that I'm going to lose, and instead dancing around and harassing.
2 Mar 2014, 04:36 AM

Best option imo is to put a Guards squad into a clown car and get behind the bunker, Guard's ptrs is very effective at taking out bunkers quickly.
2 Mar 2014, 08:22 AM

3 Mar 2014, 10:03 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

You can also try blocking the bunker's LoS with smoke if you've already got a mortar and just need to bypass it.
Blowing them up with a demo charge is definitely the fastest way, if rather expensive. I've seen them go down to a single demo, but I don't know if that works 100% of the time.
Doesn't apply to early game, but a KV-8 can take out a bunker in something like 2 bursts.
3 Mar 2014, 11:42 AM

Yeah. I guess (especially in 2v2) we've just been struggling to push adequate "AT" up to take out the bunkers around the transition to mid game. Your Zis guns are generally busy hunting the early tanks and trying to spare squads that can actually take them down can be difficult. I hadn't even thought of the Demo charge though so that's a decent suggestion. I guess the more solutions I know of the more options I have so thanks all for the contributions.
3 Mar 2014, 14:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Be careful with demo charge though, sometimes the engineer likes to place the charge in from the of the gunner, even when you are behind it when you give the order.
Neo
3 Mar 2014, 14:53 PM

Best option imo is to put a Guards squad into a clown car and get behind the bunker, Guard's ptrs is very effective at taking out bunkers quickly.

This.
3 Mar 2014, 20:03 PM

So let me get this straight. The recommended approach to dealing with bunkers is for the Soviets to hold out commander selection, wait until a bunker is spotted, and build guards and T1. Huh, seems like a fair and balanced counter to such a unit.
3 Mar 2014, 20:12 PM

zis guns take out bunkers very fast.
3 Mar 2014, 21:05 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Guards in a scout car, flamers in a scout car, ZiS.
3 Mar 2014, 21:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2014, 20:12 PMBurts
zis guns take out bunkers very fast.

This is the only real counter without having to rely on commander call ins.
4 Mar 2014, 10:41 AM

Yeah, but the problem is, that the germans get one or two mortars, and they target the Zis gun:(

I try to counter this by a mortar on my own, but this turns out to be an rng vs rng fight.
6 Mar 2014, 03:57 AM

Flank with engineers and bite the bullet for a demo charge. Yaay 95 munitions. Not fun but it gets the job done. Don't grab t1 unless it's in your plan, and flamethrowers are super slow at bunker killin.

If you happen to be in a bigger game, you could build around one player going for the doctrines that give the 45mm ATG and spend your manpower on something else.

For tier 2 starts, double mortar is just good at killing everything in general, and is decently fast at ridding you of bunkers. Yeah it's 480 manpower, but unlike a fast AT gun, it has a purpose against everything else fritz fields.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★