Login

russian armor

Competitive Community?

13 Feb 2014, 14:52 PM

Hoi hoi hoi Community!

In Tommy's post in the famous 'Call - to - action: Let's be awesome together'-thread, he states that Relic doesn't want CoH2 to become a competitive game / esports.
I absolutely think that CoH2 (maybe not in his current state), is perfect for a competitive program. 1v1 tournaments, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, winner- and loserbrackets, prizes, more clans, more competitive play, ...
I want to put my time in designing such system, but only if there are more people here that want it.

I'll put it this way;

Are you all happy with playing random 2v2's? Or maybe with a friend? Is that what you are looking for in CoH2? Well, I am definitely not. I want to achieve something, go for it.
I'm not saying i'm good and will win, that doesn't matter (hmm yes it matters), but there must be competition.
When I'm asking around for a 2nd player to make tactics, get a fixed team and join ladders, there isn't much response. And not only because maybe they don't want to be my teammate (insert sad face), but just because there isn't this competitiveness, it's like it's not here on the fora.
Anyway, I know about the ladders, but I'm talking about the environment, the energy.
Also, RtN.Raz is up there, but in a more 'clanly' way, there would be for example;

1: StormCloud Gaming - winning streak - loosing streak 0 - arrow up or arrow down for showing that they went up or down.
2: KILLERCLAN - ....
3: Clan X - ....

Anyway, I'm interesting in reactions, are you guys interested in more competitive things? More tournaments, tournaments for level <50, <60, ..., also easy accessible for 'newbies'?

Thanks anyway for the time.

Your favorite Belgian. (Sorry VonKluge)
13 Feb 2014, 15:11 PM
Coder Red Badge

Relic has talked the talk when it comes to the competitive scene, but they haven't walked the walk yet. CoH2 as a competitive game has regressed since launch largely thanks to the DLC commanders and the lack of substantial changes to the base game outside of balance fixes. The game has potential from a competitive perspective, but I really don't see it happening unless the first true expansion radically changes things up. The game in its current state just isn't a good competitive game.

If you want your game to have a successful competitive scene and you're competing with games like Dota 2 and SC2 for viewers and players, you don't do what Relic has done with CoH2. You don't drastically simplify an already relatively simple game, give it a replay system from 2008, leave out any sort of spectating/live observing, release pay-to-play commanders that introduce new units and strategies, and emphasize pretty visuals over optimization and performance. And you can't come out and say you want the competitive scene to grow when you've done everything I've listed above, and when each of those things directly undermines the competitive scene. Nobody is going to believe you.

I want CoH2 to be a competitive game. I want to come back after an expansion and find a game that I really want to get into, with features and a business model that support competitive play. However, not a single CoH2 design decision was made with competitive play explicitly in mind. That ultimately tells me all I need to know about Relic's priorities with regards to CoH2.

Actions speak louder that words. Until Relic actively prioritizes the competitive community, I don't see it growing. If you want to play a game competitively, what incentive do you have to play CoH2?
13 Feb 2014, 15:12 PM

Hoi hoi hoi!

You are the best Belgian. Von Kluge is in fact Afrikaans, so doesn't count. He's not even Dutch =/

To get to the nub of your question, though, I do not feel that CoH2 is particularly good material for a proper, focused esports title. It's not SC2 or DOTA; it doesn't have that level of finesse or fine-tuned gameplay, and the fact it has DLC commanders released at fairly regular intervals (until now, at least) means that the external factors are simply too great and too inconsistent so as to allow for the sort of play that a global esports title requires.

In short, a game like CoH2 (it's a great game and I love it, obviously) has too much inherent instability within its sales framework in order for tight competitive play to be possible.

My .2 anyway...

EDIT: Ninja'd by Inverse. Have not read his post.
13 Feb 2014, 15:12 PM

Think the best way would be to get the coh2 community into the ESL, dont do a own ladder or something like that. If you want to play active ladder or tournaments the ESL is the place to go! Otherwise coh2 will stay itself and no one cares about it..
13 Feb 2014, 15:14 PM
Patrion 14

Hoi hoi hoi!

You are the best Belgian. Von Kluge is in fact Afrikaans, so doesn't count. He's not even Dutch =/

To get to the nub of your question, though, I do not feel that CoH2 is particularly good material for a proper, focused esports title. It's not SC2 or DOTA; it doesn't have that level of finesse or fine-tuned gameplay, and the fact it has DLC commanders released at fairly regular intervals (until now, at least) means that the external factors are simply too great and too inconsistent so as to allow for the sort of play that a global esports title requires.

In short, a game like CoH2 (it's a great game and I love it, obviously) has too much inherent instability within its sales framework in order for tight competitive play to be possible.

My .2 anyway...

EDIT: Ninja'd by Inverse. Have not read his post.

That's the biggest pile of rubbish I've read on these forums.
13 Feb 2014, 15:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2014, 15:12 PMketzaaa
Think the best way would be to get the coh2 community into the ESL, dont do a own ladder or something like that. If you want to play active ladder or tournaments the ESL is the place to go! Otherwise coh2 will stay itself and no one cares about it..

Coh2 was in ESL at launch thanks to ipkaifung but most of the matches I played were forfeits..
13 Feb 2014, 15:18 PM

That's the biggest pile of rubbish I've read on these forums.

=[

Hoi hoi hoi???
13 Feb 2014, 15:57 PM

Good luck to you. All I will say is that you're not trying anything that others before you haven't tried to do (Ipkai with ESL f.x) and you will be fighting Relic tooth and nail every step of the way.

CoH2 could've been a good competitive game, even with its extremely limited set of positive attributes, if the developers had maintained a positive attitude towards it. As Inverse says, they talk the talk but no dice, and I for one will not be spending any more time trying to push this boulder uphill.
13 Feb 2014, 16:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2014, 15:57 PMTommy
Good luck to you. All I will say is that you're not trying anything that others before you haven't tried to do (Ipkai with ESL f.x) and you will be fighting Relic tooth and nail every step of the way.

CoH2 could've been a good competitive game, even with its extremely limited set of positive attributes, if the developers had maintained a positive attitude towards it. As Inverse says, they talk the talk but no dice, and I for one will not be spending any more time trying to push this boulder uphill.

And you don't think it might change in the future? For this game is 'pretty young'?
It took 10y, to make vCoH what it is today.
13 Feb 2014, 16:07 PM
Patrion 14

Mate I wouldn't argue with his statement for the effort Tommy has put in it was enormous. Take it for granted that trying to achieve what you want will be an endless struggle. Tommy and Fatal experienced it first hand.
13 Feb 2014, 16:09 PM

It might. I hope it does. But the vCoH comparison doesn't fly in my opinion. Sequels are supposed to build on the successes of their predecessor- yet whenever someone mentions vCoH, it's always to compare how CoH was at the same point in development. That's not a valid comparison.

Also, even if we are comparing vCoH 8 months post release to CoH2 now, I'd still take vCoH. It had balance problems, sure, but for its time, it wasn't so awful that it didn't have observer mode, or a particularly great replay system, or a developer trying to actively encourage a competitive community. Not having those things in 2006 was acceptable. CoH2 was released in 2013. Times change, and so do acceptable standards.
13 Feb 2014, 16:12 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2014, 15:57 PMTommy

If I can be honest I haven't been fighting Relic tooth and nail every step of the way. The way ESL is run I can't directly receive prizes from Relic/Sega to give away nor can I accept donations. My problem has actually been trying to get people to play in a tournament or league instead of auto match which is something I will have to work on.
13 Feb 2014, 16:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2014, 16:09 PMTommy
It might. I hope it does. But the vCoH comparison doesn't fly in my opinion. Sequels are supposed to build on the successes of their predecessor- yet whenever someone mentions vCoH, it's always to compare how CoH was at the same point in development. That's not a valid comparison.

Also, even if we are comparing vCoH 8 months post release to CoH2 now, I'd still take vCoH. It had balance problems, sure, but for its time, it wasn't so awful that it didn't have observer mode, or a particularly great replay system, or a developer trying to actively encourage a competitive community. Not having those things in 2006 was acceptable. CoH2 was released in 2013. Times change, and so do acceptable standards.

K, I hear you.
Anyways, I hope something will change, I like playing this game far too much to just uninstall it and say bb.
13 Feb 2014, 16:14 PM

If I can be honest I haven't been fighting Relic tooth and nail every step of the way. The way ESL is run I can't directly receive prizes from Relic/Sega to give away nor can I accept donations. My problem has actually been trying to get people to play in a tournament or league instead of auto match which is something I will have to work on.

I don't know whether you can use my help or not, but i'm pretty open for helping the community with this. Just so you know!
13 Feb 2014, 16:49 PM

Permanently Banned

Your favorite Belgian. (Sorry VonKluge)

who are you?
13 Feb 2014, 16:56 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2014, 16:49 PMakosi

who are you?

<444>3 u Akosi
13 Feb 2014, 17:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2014, 16:49 PMakosi

who are you?