Login

russian armor

Snipers: They're Back.

10 Feb 2014, 10:20 AM
Patrion 14

So snipers are back. On both sides, but predominantly Soviets.

I recently played a 2 v 2 where my (Sov) teammate pwned the enemy with the cheesiest sniper mob ever. I don't think the germans expected it and were non-plussed.

OTOH in a bigger game on LazerQuest (that factory map which I have renamed) my opponent (Sov) had an interesting sniper strat that really bled my manpower, but he over-egged it and wasn't really prepared for my FHT risposte (I build two of them it hurt a great deal in munis but I had sniper pop-tarts for dinner). I wish I knew how to deal with them otherwise - scout cars are shit.

I hated snipers in vCoH. The grogs here seems to forget the snipers & mines meta that turned late 'golden era' vCoH into something of a grind IMO.

As a so-so player what should I do about snipers? I have the micro skillz of a dead badger --- should I try using them?
10 Feb 2014, 10:22 AM
Patrion 14

Mortar half track or regular mortars could work wonders, other sorts of indirect artillery might be worth it in a long shot. Otherwise, s mines (if your opponent is blind and fails to see the warning sign), lucky rifle nade hit or Pgren burst if your squad isn't wiped or decimated when there are multiple sniper squads present :)
10 Feb 2014, 10:41 AM

Permanently Banned
Snipers are back? Very interesting... please, tell me more
10 Feb 2014, 10:47 AM
Patrion 14

^ I just see loads of them in every game I play atm.

Of course I'm not in the pro / 1 v 1 master-race so my opinion and experiences are probably invalid.
10 Feb 2014, 11:55 AM
Donator 11

^ I just see loads of them in every game I play atm.

This or loads of maxims. Its frustrating/boring so i decided not to play until next patch :)
10 Feb 2014, 13:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge

imho its because of the prevalence of elite infantry on both side that and the fact that the sniper really isn't that bad a unit. :)

i think next patch well see less of them, however, i think also the players are starting to figure out how to use them which means they probably won't go away.

edit: also i don't think there that hard to counter in this game given there are so many ways don't only have to use counter sniper.
11 Feb 2014, 07:32 AM
Honorary Member Badge

G43s
Hux
11 Feb 2014, 09:13 AM
Patrion 14

^ good advice, they eat snipers

Mortar HT can be useful, although there is nothing more annoying than 2-3 Soviet snipers protected from any kind of light armour solution by a wall of guards.
11 Feb 2014, 09:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2014, 09:13 AMHux
^ good advice, they eat snipers

Mortar HT can be useful, although there is nothing more annoying than 2-3 Soviet snipers protected from any kind of light armour solution by a wall of guards.

1800 menpower in this army. 1100 in very fragile units. And little map control.
Lucky strike on snipers and PzG eat guards for launch.
11 Feb 2014, 09:58 AM

Permanently Banned
i wouldnot bring pggrens against snipers. It is like bringing ST spam against ostheer sniper spam..
11 Feb 2014, 10:39 AM

after playing vcoh yesterday, it reminded me how much more damage the weapons in that game did. Riflemen were very effective at killing other infantry, unlike conscripts who take forever to kill anything unless you have 4 of them. The same goes for grens trying to kill shock troops when they are spammed.

This is why snipers are spammed. Your general infantry just take too long to kill or force off a retreat.

It really is a vicious cycle. Soviets either have to voraciously spam conscripts to stand any early game chance or shock troops.Germans end up spamming snipers and MGs to counter this.

In addition, conscripts have very poor late game viability, especially with the vet changes
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★