Login

russian armor

Veteran (age) league and tournaments

9 Feb 2014, 19:59 PM

This topic has been discussed in a similar way in other threads;

http://www.coh2.org/topic/13883/revitalizing-the-coh2-community

http://www.coh2.org/topic/13846/why-don-t-you-take-part-in-tournaments

I would love to see a veteran tournament or league. This would encourage us oldies (who know we could be top 10 in the ladders if we had the same reflexes as younger players) to play more and meet players of same age. The league could relate to your age: age 40-50, 50--60, 60-70 etc...
But im not sure that the existing playerbase is big enough for leagues like this?

9 Feb 2014, 23:40 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Would have to be more like a 30 and above league. Would be fun, I'd be interested.
9 Feb 2014, 23:42 PM
Patrion 14

Yeah, 30 and above would suffice not to split it up all to much. Cant keep up with all these kids. ;D
9 Feb 2014, 23:54 PM
Donator 11

Great idea and people shouldn't be scared of joining tournaments and events, just try it!
Only Relic postRelic 10 Feb 2014, 00:10 AM

It's a good idea. How many people who haven't joined another tournament would join something like this?
10 Feb 2014, 00:17 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I'm less than 30 but I'd gladly help you guys with the organization
10 Feb 2014, 00:35 AM
Patrion 27

I'm turning 30 this year and I'll gladly take this leg up :P
10 Feb 2014, 01:15 AM

How would you verify players real age?

It sounds good but I don't see it work...

10 Feb 2014, 01:44 AM

I'd recommend having leagues based on skill rather than Age, as age cannot be verified so easily. (That way those who can't compete with the younger guys can still fight people with a similar skill Lvl rather than a top 10 guy.(Something identical to what SC2 has.) I'd also like to say there are older people who play this game and still do just as good as the younger guys.
10 Feb 2014, 02:33 AM

A rookie league sounds more appropriate. People below top 200 maybe? Or maybe we can do it like a divisions tourney.

Heavyweight: rank 1-300
Middleweight: rank 301-5000?
lightweight: rank 5001 below

Naturally, you'd need to be with-in the given rank at the time of the tourney itself, not during registration. [IE, rank 10k player registers for lightweight division but is ranked 27 come tourney day. Said player either agrees to be transferred to the appropriate division or forfeits his registration.]

Higher division gives the best prizes while lower divisions get something like commanders/skins/faceplates/DLC packs.

This could probably be done every 4 months to give time to organize, find sponsors and players to aim for higher ranks/prizes.

Players who are caught deliberately dropping rank to troll on lower divisions will be barred from the next 2 tourneys. Habitual delinquents shall be barred from all future tournaments.

Divisions would not only cater to our upcoming stars, it would also give us better qualifying matches in the creme de la creme division. These are just suggestions of what it may look like to cater to our elders. [Me included :blush:]

10 Feb 2014, 02:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Feb 2014, 02:33 AMMVwhine
A rookie league sounds more appropriate. People below top 200 maybe? Or maybe we can do it like a divisions tourney.

Naturally, you'd need to be with-in the given rank at the time of the tourney itself, not during registration. [IE, rank 10k player registers for lightweight division but is ranked 27 come tourney day. Said player either agrees to be transferred to the appropriate division or forfeits his registration.]

Higher division gives the best prizes while lower divisions get something like commanders/skins/faceplates/DLC packs.

This could probably be done every 4 months to give time to organize, find sponsors and players to aim for higher ranks/prizes.

Players who are caught deliberately dropping rank to troll on lower divisions will be barred from the next 2 tourneys. Habitual delinquents shall be barred from all future tournaments.

Divisions would not only cater to our upcoming stars, it would also give us better qualifying matches in the creme de la creme division. These are just suggestions of what it may look like to cater to our elders. [Me included :blush:]

I like this idea alot, except for calling it by weights, lol.
This way we all get something to play.
10 Feb 2014, 04:25 AM

Rookies can build up confidence in the junior leagues before hitting the big leagues. [baseball reference this time:p.]

The first tourney starts early in the year, the 2nd tourney mid year and the main event sometime in the early -ber months. Doing all three tourneys at the same time is doable but would probably be taxing and exhausting for the organizers.

10 Feb 2014, 04:51 AM

Do you mean some sort of bronze league heroes?

It is a big discouraging stuff instead of encouraging.
10 Feb 2014, 05:32 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Feb 2014, 02:33 AMMVwhine

...Players who are caught deliberately dropping rank to troll on lower divisions will be barred from the next 2 tourneys. Habitual delinquents shall be barred from all future tournaments.

It wouldn't be easy to catch people deliberately dropping ranks, and it would just as difficult to sieve out people who genuinely have higher ranks than their skill should reflect.

For example, let's say I have a ranking 200/150, but I only play occasionally (one or twice a week with each faction). The last people I played against and won were ranked 500-700. If I were to play with someone of my rank I highly doubt I'd put up much of a fight, and with the 'weight' category going from 1 to 300 I wouldn't have a chance in hell of winning anything with people in the top 20-50 taking part.

If I were to lose ranks (genuinely or otherwise) to 300-400, I'd stand a pretty decent chance of winning the middleweight prize instead of losing totally in the heavyweight division. I probably wouldn't have to do anything to get to rank 300+, ladder decay would do the trick all on its own.

I'd suggest that competitors have to play 5 ladder games (2/3 with either faction) maybe 2 days or less before the tournament day, as a means of qualification. Even then there's nothing (besides sportsmanship) to stop players sandbagging and playing below their true skill to qualify for a lower bracket.
10 Feb 2014, 06:17 AM

Hello.

Tournament for veteran age sounds fun. I would like to take part in it.
10 Feb 2014, 06:48 AM

You can go up and down the ladder fast in this game. I dunno, maybe a better idea to just automatically eliminate anyone who made quarter-finals in all COH2 couple tourneys held so far. Probably the winners would be obvious if they have high rank but haven't done tourneys, but whatever, at least it would be a change of faces...

10 Feb 2014, 08:10 AM
Patrion 14

I'm in. I'm 44. I need a league for slow people.

Plus it will be fun for the younger guys to have to commentate on the world's slowest and unskilled games of CoH2.
10 Feb 2014, 15:39 PM
Donator 11

An alternative to using people's ladder rank would be to use their past tourny experience, as the ladder rank does not always correlate with actual skill.

Coming from a CS background, we had CAL-Invite, CAL-Main, CAL-Open... so on and so forth. So for the first tournament, you could have a qualification to place people into different leagues, with the assumption that people would be moved up or down a division based on their performance.
10 Feb 2014, 17:24 PM

Rank-divided tournament sounds fun, I'd be in.
Age-based, sounds really random IMO.
10 Feb 2014, 17:43 PM
Benefactor 115

while it's a cool idea I can see the potential for a lot of griefing. Unless you are willing to provide ID :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★