Login

russian armor

Mortar Differences

4 Feb 2014, 07:35 AM
Patrion 14

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

i have a question about the mortar. Is there a main difference between mortar barrage and ground attack? What is in which situation better and more accurate?
4 Feb 2014, 07:52 AM
Patrion 27

Auto-fire and attack ground are more accurate than the barrage but barrage has a higher fire-rate. Use attack ground to pinpoint weapons teams and even individual models like a gren with lmg42 or an engineer with a flamethrower or when attacking buildings and use barrage when you don't have vision because of the fog of war or you are trying to saturate a VP etc.

Indirect fire is more accurate the closer you are to the target in this game so be aggressive and use other units to gain vision for your mortars.

Smoke can also be clutch against Mg's and on points you are trying to cap.
4 Feb 2014, 11:46 AM

No wonder I never hit stuff with my mortar! I always tried the barrage. Didn't know it is less accurate.
4 Feb 2014, 11:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2014, 11:46 AMgokkel
No wonder I never hit stuff with my mortar! I always tried the barrage. Didn't know it is less accurate.

Less accurate, but more hits in short time = more damage.
4 Feb 2014, 23:26 PM
Patrion 27

So I played this game to demonstrate some sandbag placement but if you're wanting to learn some things about mortar usage I think you will enjoy watching it.

Some key points are that the mortar is typically an aggressive tool rather than a defensive one. MG's get suppression to stop advances while mortars bleed models and wipe squads.

Keep moving frequently between barrages to avoid getting flanked.

Don't be afraid to hit the "stop" hotkey during a barrage to soft-retreat or to attack ground on an enemy for more precision.

You can take out light vehicles with mortars using attack ground and I've even finished off a medium tank once or twice.

Use shift-queuing to barrage a spot then displace your mortar to free up micro for your other units.

Use the scout cars, or in this case T70 recon mode, to grant vision deep in enemy territory for greater mortar accuracy.

And as you will see my opponent continuously friendly-fire his own men, always be aware of where your shots are firing.

Cheers!
4 Feb 2014, 23:50 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

As mentioned, a rule of thumb for Mortars (and other indirect fire): More accurate at closer ranges, less accurate in the fog of war. The 120mm mortar with a max range barrage into the fog of war is incredibly inaccurate. At short range with vision, it is very accurate and devastating. This applies to all indirect fire.

Attack ground is useful if you expect an enemy to approach through a choke point. You can attack ground preemptively, and if it hits an enemy they will be visible and alert you of an approach. Couple this with a trip flare and you can barrage the choke when they advance.

Is Attack Ground really more precise? Can someone confirm this?

5 Feb 2014, 07:39 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2014, 23:50 PMOhme
As mentioned, a rule of thumb for Mortars (and other indirect fire): More accurate at closer ranges, less accurate in the fog of war. The 120mm mortar with a max range barrage into the fog of war is incredibly inaccurate. At short range with vision, it is very accurate and devastating. This applies to all indirect fire.

Attack ground is useful if you expect an enemy to approach through a choke point. You can attack ground preemptively, and if it hits an enemy they will be visible and alert you of an approach. Couple this with a trip flare and you can barrage the choke when they advance.

Is Attack Ground really more precise? Can someone confirm this?

I'm confused by you giving advice then not knowing if this is true or not :/

Yes, it is confirmed.
5 Feb 2014, 17:26 PM

I'm confused by you giving advice then not knowing if this is true or not :/

Yes, it is confirmed.

how was this confirmed? ive never heard anything about attack ground. as far as i know its the exact same as auto fire, you just get to pick the spot it shoots at.

and as for auto fire being more accurate, thats not completely true. only the german mortar is less accurate while barraging (17% higher scatter ratio). the 82mm and 120mm mortars are actually more accurate while barraging and they shoot faster.

both the 81mm and the 82mm also have 106 range while barraging (80 with auto fire). the 120mm has 100 range when auto firing or barraging.
6 Feb 2014, 02:51 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2014, 17:26 PMwooof

how was this confirmed? ive never heard anything about attack ground. as far as i know its the exact same as auto fire, you just get to pick the spot it shoots at.

and as for auto fire being more accurate, thats not completely true. only the german mortar is less accurate while barraging (17% higher scatter ratio). the 82mm and 120mm mortars are actually more accurate while barraging and they shoot faster.

both the 81mm and the 82mm also have 106 range while barraging (80 with auto fire). the 120mm has 100 range when auto firing or barraging.

I'm sorry if I was being rude and I'm totally prepared to eat my hat on this.

I lump "auto-fire" in with attack ground as I always figured those two were identical in accuracy. The major difference when using attack ground is specifying your target instead of letting the mortar target whatever it wants to on the battlefield.

In my experience, microing and attacking ground on a static unit that isn't obscured by true-sight is much more accurate than barraging. This is not discounting barrage and smoke barrage in the slightest as both are effective.
6 Feb 2014, 06:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2014, 17:26 PMwooof

Somehow I don't think you're right, A patch a while back doubled the German mortar's RoF IIRC...
6 Feb 2014, 09:13 AM

Somehow I don't think you're right, A patch a while back doubled the German mortar's RoF IIRC...

yea.. back in beta like 8 months ago. you can always check the stats if you dont believe what i wrote.
6 Feb 2014, 10:34 AM

Oops, didn't know it had been rolled back (or adjusted)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★