Login

russian armor

Case Blue - Assault on Voronezh

29 Jan 2014, 07:23 AM

Just want to know, what is everyone strategy to beat this map, especially on general?
I'm not very fast as tank commander and can't really survive as infantry commander with so many mortar / overwatch / katyusha attack.
29 Jan 2014, 08:30 AM
Patrion 14

First of all, try to play it with another player and make sure you can communicate well. I didn't play it much as infantry, so can only answer for tank. Went north, be sure to back up your units well and try to progress fast but in focus. Keep repairing your tanks. If you are lucky, you might get an abandoned t34, that s very useful. Then try to put down bunkers on the vp to keep it from being capped by infantry. Your teammate must clear north bridge from at first. After that, try splitting your armored forces slightly since they will have trouble moving in the narrow streets. Try to be close to the right side of the streets since the katyusha will have a harder time hitting troops near house walls, try to finish off the katyushas asap. Place bunkers at vps to keep them safe for a while. They will get destroyed! but it will take them a while and it gives you time to react to the threats. Keep repairing the tanks!

Took us a number of goes, but we made it eventually. It is important not to take many casualties in the beginning (later is bad also, but early it slows up the advance to much).
29 Jan 2014, 16:59 PM

Made 2 fail tries with my friend. We're able to secure north VP for quite long but got destroyed by AT + katyusha. How do you handle katyusha? by rushing tank? and what infantry commander needs to do? It seems quite frail in this scenario.
29 Jan 2014, 19:30 PM

A good tip for that map is getting the tank guy to go Festung Armor; you can get a PaK 43 up and let the infantry guy defend it, and use Hull Down to get Ostwinds and Panzer IVs to defend VPs. For example, a single dug-in Ostwind will comfortably defend the bridge to the south. They're remarkably effective when dug-in because the extra range and RoF turns them into very effect bunkers.

The tricky part is plugging the gaps in your defensive line and reacting to all those little off-map assault groups that try to flank your VPs or attack your base.

I've done it on General with a friend, and believe me when I say I am not the best player. :D
20 Feb 2014, 07:22 AM

oh I forgot to reply.
I managed to win this scenario in general, funnily, with AI (as infantry).
I'm using a commander that can call tiger.

- I just place initial Stug in the tank base. With default MG emplacements, it's quite formidable defence against soviet advances, since at most it only need to face very few T34/76, T70, M5 and annoying guards that can be handled by MG.
- I call Tiger (when ready) to the first VP and guard it until the end. Tiger is really badass against everything. Almost no need to support and still almost no scratch.
- I don't prevent enemy to recapture my capture points (except for VP) to reduce headache, instead I recap it back with engineer (that usually passing through to support my advance team in the north) when the chance arise. I also use them to repair Stug and Tiger then to the frontline.
- The rest (Scout car, panzer IV, engi) rush (with difficulty because of guards) through north bridge, and gain veterancy along the way (important so my tanks could more easily fight against infantry/AT).
- At the time I capture the north VP, the AI is almost decimated and my point is just 100 or less. I thought it's my loss, but somehow I managed to win.
- For the remainder, since my base and VP is really safe, I can focus to north VP. I just send more Panzers and the replacement engineers (easily died) to the north VP. I had some luck that two Katyusha stray around the decimated infantry base, so they can easily be destroyed. AT gave me headache the most but I managed to kite and destroy them everytime (and managed to replace my destroyed tanks). When katyusha attacked, I just run to the safe area and back again when it stopped.
- In the last minutes, the north VP is only guarded with 2 Panzer IV with no engineer support (they died of constant katyusha / attack), the north bridge is destroyed (dunno why, I think because sector artillery when my engi want to capture the north point), I also can't repair them due of katyusha and sector artillery, but the enemies are also seem to be exhausted, so I win.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★