Login

russian armor

Can one simply disregard base buildings?

27 Jan 2014, 21:10 PM

Hey guys.

I've just joined the forum, and currently I'm in the state of transition from vCoH to CoH2. There are at least several questions i'd like to ask, but this is what shocked me the most (or no, wait, that prize goes to the amount of microtransactions :D).

So, here is the question: are there any viable strategies that allow to only build a bare minimum of base buildings? This probably applies to the Soviet faction to a greater extent, just because of the variety of non-doctrinal units the German have.

For example, i've recently had this game, in which i've only built T2 for Zis guns and ended up fine. Is it generally viable to try to survive the late game with call-ins only?

P.S.: also, i don't really know where to ask about this, but I'd greatly appreciate some commentary on my general performance :) Where is the proper place to ask for that? ;)

P.P.S.: By the way, do i get it right that the absolute majority of bulletins are useless garbage?
27 Jan 2014, 21:20 PM
Donator 11

I don't play other games besides 1 vs. 1 so I can only talk about those games.

Yes, like you said, especially with soviets, it is a viable strategie.

For example, with the Guard Mortar Coordination commander, you can win by only building T2 and wait to get 2 T-34-85s and get 2 ZIS while waiting for them.

The ZIS AT-GUN is really powerful and can manage even late Otheer tanks.
27 Jan 2014, 23:22 PM

Technically, you could play without buildings as Ostheer. You'll need Mechanized Assault commander.

You will need to upgrade atleast once battle phase in order to utilize the grenade ability on Assault Grenadiers.

Basically, you got everything to counter most things. But you rely on call-ins, infantry and tanks.
28 Jan 2014, 01:18 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Both factions can get away with minimal base building, but it is rather doctrinally limited.

It is easier for soviets because of the potency of Shock Troops, and the wider variety of call-in units. Guard Motor Coordination is excellent for this purpose, because the T34/85 tanks come into play at 7 CP, which is earlier than most call-in tanks which arrive at 9 CP or later.

Germans have a slightly tougher time, but with Shreks and Paks you can hold out for a Tiger. Also, Mechanized Assault commander was mentioned, and is designed specifically for this purpose.

For both factions, I think it is necessary to at least go T2 in order to make this work. If waiting for a call-in tank, you will surely be run over without AT guns. AT guns can be quite unforgiving without proper tactical play. I would imagine most of the time you would need to lock down an area with MGs and AT guns, mine up the flanks and setup a trap.

I have also seen soviet players use both T1 and T2 while waiting for call-in tanks. Soviet Snipers with AT guns proved to be an absolute nightmare for me to deal with one game.

Bulletins are pretty worthless in general. Many people choose to stack all 3 bulletins to benefit the same unit. The concept of bulletins is good, but their implementation is an absolute waste. There is next to no meaningful choices to be made when choosing which 3 you want to use.
28 Jan 2014, 04:32 AM

I have been using the doctine with shocks and the kv-1( cant remember the name of it) i pump out a few cons then one or two shocks ,tech to t2 for support weapons build one or AT guns and then pump out kv-1's,works a treat against ost t3 builds, but you will have a harder time with t4
28 Jan 2014, 13:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Yes, but depends on doctrine and how many people are in the game.

In big team games there are often lots of discarded team weapons around you can pick up.

I've thought of doing a big post on no or limited tech play, so I may do one later
30 Jan 2014, 12:40 PM

Just like van Voort mentioned in post above, in 3vs3 and 4vs4 the battlefield is covered with team weapons by mid game, so you can just crew and reinforce them with cheap cons. In this case, you can go T1. It largely depends on someone's play style, but I personally prefer T1 over T2. Penals+2 cons with molotovs followed by early shocks go like a knife through hot butter, I definitely secure one of two fuel and VP which helps to prevent OH from spamming like a dozen of tanks later in game. T1 requires a lot of good micro.

If you are planning to get 2 T34-85 then definitely build T1. You already get a mortar with this commander, and guards benefit better from snipers rather then team weapons. But again, this all depends on your play style. I barely skip buildings. I prefer going for early SU76 supported by shocks, and then SU85 to fight first P IV, and later depending on situation - either Katyusha or saving fuel for call ins.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★