Login

russian armor

Any information about veterency ?

19 Jan 2013, 10:07 AM
Honorary Member Badge

From speaking with Quinn he said that they wanted to avoid having a situation where the highest tier of veterancy made things as strong as it does in COH1. Therefore the bonuses will be significantly reduced.

I find the veterancy gaining system a little odd as units gain vet from taking damage as well as dealing it but I really think you guys need to wait and play with it to see if you think it works.
19 Jan 2013, 15:01 PM

dealing damage for vet, no problem...
but also taking damage for vet? so if i put a volks next to a halftrack and constantly reinforce, he'll be vet 3 around the time the attacking squad hits vet 3? doesn't sound too well thought out (but i guess you'll gain more veterancy by dealing damage than by taking it...), but without any real point of reference, it is really hard to tell whether it will work or not. Beta will tell.
19 Jan 2013, 15:03 PM

I think you guys will find the boosts enough to make vetted units definitely something to be feared, but at the same time not be some un-killable superman that laughs in the face of five flamethrowers.

so, obviously, veterancy will bring more offfensive than defensive bonuses?
probably it will depend on faction/unit type?
19 Jan 2013, 16:29 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I think what Tribalbob meant is that veterancy won't make units as powerful as it did in CoH (like 12azor says), not that it gives offensive rather than defensive bonuses.

I don't mind units gaining vet for taking damage. Sounds fine to me. We already gain CP in CoH for losing units so I don't see what's wrong with gaining veterancy in the same way.
19 Jan 2013, 19:31 PM

I don't have a problem with gaining XP from received damage either, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the strength and reward of Vetted units in vCoH, that part is disheartening.

The only reason I can think to make this change is to lower the skill ceiling of the game. Anyone else want to help me out with some alternatives?

I can't imagine it's to prevent games from snowballing too much because there are far, far, far better ways of doing that (gaining vet from received damage being one of them).
19 Jan 2013, 19:46 PM

yeah... but tbh, +50% damage for vet3 rifles including all picked up weapons and abilities is a bit weird though... vet3 schrecks, nades and stickies :-D
but we'll have to wait and see how veterancy works or what exactly the bonuses are to see whether it is really as bad as some people think it is.
20 Jan 2013, 00:54 AM

Kolaris, why would it have a major impact on skill ceiling? Good players are still rewarded for keeping their units alive. Indeed, without veterancy keeping units alive already has a massive skill ceiling impact; adding veterancy is simply icing on the cake. Extreme vet bonuses would have a more dramatic effect on the skill ceiling, but I don't believe they are really necessary, especially since vet is strongly stochastic.
20 Jan 2013, 03:12 AM

I didn't say the skill ceiling would now be "low", I said it would be "lower". What I'm struggling to understand is why we want that, especially when the satisfaction of seeing a hard-earned Vetted unit in action was one of the hallmarks of CoH. For casual and competitive player alike.

I don't agree that veterancy is merely icing. Just having another unit on hand isn't always a good thing. Rifles, PGs, and Tommies can all end up dead weight or even liabilities if they didn't earn enough vet come late game. Those core early game units are designed to have extreme scaling measures, and if Relic has significantly lowered how much units can scale the game is going to lose at least some degree of depth.
20 Jan 2013, 04:26 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I don't see why the game would lose depth. If green or low-vet units are still useful into the late game because they are about as powerful as the high-vet units, this lets players switch army compositions by building new units that won't automatically be outclassed and by choosing to sacrifice vetted units at strategic points rather than being forced to retreat them because losing a Vet 3 Rifle squad at that point would mean game over.

Of course, if late game is SO deadly to all the units that low-vet and underpowered high-vet units just become useless, then yes, this would be bad, but it's just a matter of making sure the late game units aren't OP against the early game units.
24 Jan 2013, 19:47 PM

Speaking as some one who got into the alpha testing and without breaking any rules, I can tell you the system for veterency is impressive. I had no complaints and neither did any one else in my guild who played it. A big step up from the vCoH version.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 61

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight