Login

russian armor

Any information about veterency ?

6 Jan 2013, 06:23 AM

Ive read from various sources that vet will be earned through direct combat for both factions.
I want to know how effective will units become with veterency. for example vanilla rifles become terminators at vet3.
Will this be the case with coh2 units aswell or will the units receive small buffs and visual upgrades like side skirts.
How much impact will vetted units have over unvetted troops?
oh and arty pieces like katyusha and german arty will most of the time be vet3 in most games so how will the buffs effect them?
1 of 2 Relic postsRelic 6 Jan 2013, 06:37 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Veterency will not create super-man units like in vCoH (Knight's Cross, anyone?)

Instead, Vet gives very small boosts but also unlocks an additional ability for the unit.
6 Jan 2013, 07:34 AM

Awwww, I wanted godlike-conscripts
6 Jan 2013, 09:13 AM

If they only provide a very small boost, whats the point of vetting then?
6 Jan 2013, 09:18 AM

This has been revealed already in some of the updates by Ami or 12azor I believe (or Duffy himself), so it is not a big surprise: units don't gain veterancy by killing (or at least, not only by killing), but rather by staying in combat: dealing and taking damage.

That means it is a little easier to earn veterancy this time around, as long as you can keep those units around.

What's the point? Notice Bob mentioned they unlock a specific ability upon vet (hush hush on specifics), which could help you change the outcome of a battle when used correctly. You must also take into account that in snow maps, you might lose soldiers to weather conditions as well as enemy factors.

6 Jan 2013, 11:39 AM

veterency is a key aspect of coh gameplay. vet can make or break a coh game for example a vet3 rifle can change the course of a game (with a shreck OMG!!). inf vet2 for grens is great in the midgame when facing hordes of bars.

ability unlocks through vet is a nice idea but it doesn't help with unit preservation (another key thing of coh), because abilities of individual units cant shift the game's momentum. One can spam more and more p4's knowing that vetted p4 is not a great improvement over its vanilla counterpart.

imo vet should be strong enough, lets say not have dominant impact, but should have enough impact to reward unit preservation.

for example a p4 should get overdrive at vet3 just to escape bad scenario, again this is just my recommendation, other things like health bonus or LOS bonus should be nice. These three things wont save a p4 from a IS2 ofc but its
a nice way to pomp a vetted unit.
6 Jan 2013, 13:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jan 2013, 11:39 AMRandy
ability unlocks through vet is a nice idea but it doesn't help with unit preservation (another key thing of coh), because abilities of individual units cant shift the game's momentum. One can spam more and more p4's knowing that vetted p4 is not a great improvement over its vanilla counterpart.

imo vet should be strong enough, lets say not have dominant impact, but should have enough impact to reward unit preservation.

How do you know? You have no idea what the abilities do. Maybe a P4 gets a speed boost after all? And Grens something like FTFL.
6 Jan 2013, 13:24 PM

If they only provide a very small boost, whats the point of vetting then?

to unluck new abilites...

for example
throw nades
upgrades
rapid fire
stuff like that perhaps
I made that stuff up but its just to give an idea..
6 Jan 2013, 16:22 PM

Unit abilities CAN totally change the direction of game. US nades anyone? The ability to dislodge an MG on command or a static inf squad is amazing. Also as you gain vet (specifically vet 3) the nades get pretty powerful. I've had vet 3 nade take down two whole vet 3 gren squads (conveniently mushed together of course).
6 Jan 2013, 18:05 PM

gonna miss the semi-automatic vet 3 Wehrmacht sniper. :(
7 Jan 2013, 02:35 AM

I don't really get it. First in DoW2 where the devs explicitly state the most important skill is squad preservation, but Vet bonuses are virtually non-existent.

Now in CoH2 where early game units desperately need Vet to scale through the game, I don't think increased versatility in an ability will be enough.

And simply, the satisfaction of earning strong Vet units can't be replaced. It was really one of the trademarks of CoH, I don't understand the need and/or reason behind this.
7 Jan 2013, 03:10 AM
Donator 11

I agree. It was hard for that rifle squad to survive from the beginning until late game. It was really hard to get it, but once achieved it was a real joy.
7 Jan 2013, 05:46 AM

+1 to Kolaris

that's my point exactly.
7 Jan 2013, 07:52 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I'm pretty much the king of whining about CoH 2 before it comes out but this really seems like a change that we need to see in action before criticizing it. Like, why do you need vet 3 Riflemen in the endgame? It's partly because WM can buy vet, so you need to keep up with them. Obviously that isn't a worry in CoH 2 since WM no longer buys vet. Of course you still have to worry about late game vehicles but until we see how those are tuned I'm not sure it makes sense to argue against these changes.
10 Jan 2013, 22:29 PM

I have heard OstHeer gains vet from kills, and Russians receive it from being under fire and taking damage. It reflects the differences of the two armies.
10 Jan 2013, 22:50 PM

I agree with what Kolaris stated, regarding the joy of watching your unit becoming superior with veterancy...

However, it was also horrible, watching your carefully preserved Ami unit die from a bad dice roll. Yes, it was a staple of the game, but it contradicted the whole concept of skill above luck in those rare bad luck instances (and those instances happening in a tournament could discourage e-sports).

I want those superior units in. I want my vet 3 grenadiers to annihilate another unit in the field, but I don't want something like Vet 3 rangers or snipers going around the map completely changing the entire meta-game.

11 Jan 2013, 01:21 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2013, 22:29 PMRogers
I have heard OstHeer gains vet from kills, and Russians receive it from being under fire and taking damage. It reflects the differences of the two armies.

Kills, receive damage and cause damage give veterancy exp, both as Russians and Ostheer.
11 Jan 2013, 02:10 AM

aw dammit. I was hoping there would be faction diversity even in vet..
19 Jan 2013, 03:57 AM

That means it is a little easier to earn veterancy this time around, as long as you can keep those units around.

Yup everything noobed down, just like capping, building placement etc

All for the Scheldt fans.
2 of 2 Relic postsRelic 19 Jan 2013, 09:05 AM
Developer Relic Badge

I think you guys will find the boosts enough to make vetted units definitely something to be feared, but at the same time not be some un-killable superman that laughs in the face of five flamethrowers.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★