Login

russian armor

Sound cards, D.A.C's

22 Jan 2014, 21:36 PM

Hey guys, i have myself a pair of astro a50's

But i can't use them on my laptop due to the fact that my laptop doesn't have optical in/out

So im just wondering, whats better out of these two:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25615&cPath=211

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1410&products_id=18862

Are they the same thing?

Which is better? :/

Thanks...

Volo.
22 Jan 2014, 21:49 PM

And i can't see much difference between these 2:

https://www.asus.com/Compare/

Xonar Essence One Vs. Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition
22 Jan 2014, 21:51 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I've never once had a PC soundcard that I've been happy with. Has anybody? The creative drivers frequently crash and bug out and it seems they have the market cornered. :(
22 Jan 2014, 21:57 PM

Yeah, but i can't seem to justify spending 899$ for ASUS Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition.

when i can get the "ASUS Xonar Essence One" for 400$

I don;t know much about sound cards, just hoping someone can tell me if there is a MARGINAL difference between the two :)
22 Jan 2014, 22:42 PM

If you are prepared to spend that much money you are looking in the wrong place.

Have a look at these examples and see what you think. All less money.

Motu Microbook

Focusrite 2i4

NI Audio 6

or get one of these I guess.

USB -TOSLINK
22 Jan 2014, 23:56 PM
23 Jan 2014, 00:28 AM

Well played that man.

An inspiring example of self control, delayed gratification and thriftiness.

I hate you.

Currently lusting after this.

Object of Desire

23 Jan 2014, 00:34 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I have the Soundblaster Z and I'm pretty impressed with it.
23 Jan 2014, 03:12 AM

@ronald, is there an English store that has your "object of desire"
So i can read it? :P
23 Jan 2014, 03:40 AM

It depends on what you're looking for:
If you just want to hook up your setup, an adapter will do.
If you want a good, simple setup for gaming and music listening, the asus options are very good indeed.
If you want a very good music listening setup, you should look elsewhere.

Astro a50 are gaming headphones and not really good for music, so the Asus Essence One would be wasted on them. As such, I recommend you just get yourself a decent sound card that has all the features you desire for gaming (Dolby digital, EAX and whatnot). An Asus Esssence STX would set you back around 150 and make you more than happy. However, if you desire to get an additional pair of headphones through which to listen to music, I suggest you get the Asus Essence One, as the Asus Essence STX's amplifier is, generally, to drive high-end headphones.

Hope this is of some use. :)
23 Jan 2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks crack barbie :)
23 Jan 2014, 07:50 AM

Can you suggest any sites to get those, and at a good price?
23 Jan 2014, 08:40 AM

I have a Scarlett 2i2 and I am very happy with it. Would also recommend Native Instruments for the best quality / price ratio.

For all Europeans I would recommend visiting Thomann. I dont know if they ship to other parts of the world, but they sure have great customer service and good deals.
23 Jan 2014, 10:29 AM

@ronald, is there an English store

Just click on the top right hand corner. Where it says English. Or search SPL Crimson for other sites.

I have the Soundblaster Z

Waste of money. Doesn't do anything your on board soundcard already does for free.

Surprised more of you guys haven't discovered pro and prosumer audio interfaces yet.

Handy placement, portable, physical gains for 'phones and speakers, can use a decent microphone, multiple outs so you can cue and use several devices at the same time. With different program material. Fantastic add on software. If you think the Z is good wait till you see the Cuemix offering on the MOTU. Easy to use 7 band parametric EQ, 2 compressors, reverb, universal routing at any sample rate etc etc. I could go on all day. Fantastic devices. Everyone should have one.

Best of all the drivers are all top notch and ultra reliable. They have to be for the needs of the main target user base.

blah, blah, blah. Check them out and think about it. You won't be sorry.

btw. You can convert any pair of headphones to wireless using really cheap dongles off ebay. Connect a transmitter to a spare output pair on your interface/PC (or use an USB version). Tape a receiver to your 'phones. That gives me wireless headphones anywhere in the house for $30.

A2DP receiver and transmitter

They really do work. I've got 6 of various kinds now. Much better sound then gamer quality by using regular quality headphones and adding the wireless bit yourself.

like peruci says Thomann is a good place to find out whats available.

23 Jan 2014, 14:02 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Onboard is not the same at all Ronald. I was forced to use onboard for a few days a while back and it was just aweful. The sound was hollow and muddy.

That said, gaming sound cards are not the same as audiophile sound cards. Two different markets that sometimes merge a little in the middle but still they're two different things. Each does something that the other doesnt do quite so well, it just comes down to what are your priorities. For me the Soundblaster Z with its onboard headphone amp has been great for pushing my Senheiser HD595 cans and Klipsh 2.1 speakers. Would music sound a little brighter and have a different stage with a higher end audiophile card with custom DAC's etc? Sure. But then again those cant handle audio positioning like a gaming card can.
23 Jan 2014, 14:42 PM

I think you'd be surprised Bud.

Modern converters are now so good and cheap you would need really, really good ears (i.e. it's impossible) to distinguish between current on-board and even the most expensive $2,000 DACs. I can measure differences between my MOTU Ultralite/NI Audio 2 and the on-board audio via line out from both my ASUS ATX mobos but I cannot hear it in an unsighted test. M-Audio Fast Track Pro I can but that's down to the crap drivers.

That's using ADAM A5X or Senn HD25-1 II.

That's assuming everything is set up and working correctly. Maybe you are picking up stray interference? You overclock heavy too so that might not help. Could also be expectation bias. Everyone is subject to it in some degree.

It's not the sound quality it's the convienience, versatility and features.

You don't need fancy processing to pick up directional clues. You only have two ears. Get better cans.

Don't believe me? These guys claim to be gamers and seem to be on the ball. If a bit slow.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0#t=12[/youtube]

23 Jan 2014, 15:14 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I thought I'd not notice going to onboard tbh, but it was noticeably terrible, at least in games. Gunshots etc just sounded dull and I couldnt hear all the little details I normally could. I have an Asus P8Z77-V Pro board. When I tested the onboard sound it wasnt overclocked since I pulled the sound card while chasing instability in my system (i thought it might be the sound card causing it).

You seem to be a little deeper into the audiophile thing than me so you probably have more experience with that grade of equipment. For me, the living room has all the big sound goodies, the computer is more for work and gaming, neither of which needs anything more than a good gaming card and set of cans/speakers.
23 Jan 2014, 15:29 PM

Did you watch the video?

It's not audio peeps vs gamers. They are gamers. Trying to help dispel myths. Same as me.

the living room has all the big sound goodies, the computer is more for work and gaming,

Fine but one of the points is there is no need for them to be separate once you have an interface. You can now pass CD quality audio and video by wireless for little money if you don't fancy cabling your house up.
23 Jan 2014, 17:28 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Myself and one of my techs here at work just watched that video and we both disagree with their opinions based on real world personal experiences. Just cuz its on YouTube doesnt mean its correct.
23 Jan 2014, 17:37 PM

It's your forum man.

If you want to be right all the time that's your prerogative.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS