Login

russian armor

(2-4) Karelian Summer

11 Jan 2014, 09:51 AM
Honorary Member Badge

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215237415&searchtext=

Inspired by the layout of Wrecked Train and the open-ness of the centre of Langres. Any comments would be appreciated as to balance, layout, aesthetics, et cetera, as would playtesters- go ahead and add me if you'd like a couple games, on this map or your own custom maps, or on the stock maps.

There was also an older thread with the map concept but I didn't think it would be right to necro it after more than a month, hence this thread. If any moderators could delete the other I would be very grateful.

Credit to Kronomancer for pointing out that the original church I used had no window on the front side, as well as other people who pointed out flaws in the original map design.
12 Jan 2014, 00:12 AM

Looks good man!
Feels way less yellow haha. The sector layout feels well thought out and natural.
A few points though.

There are visual flaws like these, where splines don't match or where objects look super isolated from their environments.

You can unhindered shoot this bunker without getting shot at, and enter the base without getting pinned.

That church we were talking about earlier, still only has one window facing that direction. Maybe you could try rotating it like 45 degrees or something. Although, the church fills its purpose the way it is aligned now as well, so that's not really a flaw.

The minimap is too small. This is fixed by, somewhat unintuitively, changing the size of yourmap_mm.tga to 360x360.

This approach really has no cover making the attacking/defending there much more difficult in relation to the approach the other player has to that sector.
12 Jan 2014, 07:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge

The minimap is too small. This is fixed by, somewhat unintuitively, changing the size of yourmap_mm.tga to 360x360.

Thanks for the feedback-
I'm working on 1, 2 should be fixed now, the church having one window is intentional, and I've added some green cover to 5 to alleviate it.

However with 4- the minimap was working perfectly initially until I updated and exported the map for version 2 (bases pushed towards the centre, less green cover walls in the centre, one hilltop building replaced with ruins, credit to Parano1a for critique). The 2p_Karelian_Summer_mm.tga was 720 by 720 approx. I've changed it to 360 by 360, together with 2p_Karelian_Summer_mm_high.tga and re-exported it, but it hasn't fixed the small minimap problem.
12 Jan 2014, 11:48 AM

Hmm, this is odd. I definitely remember having this same minimap issue as you have, and correcting it by changing the mm.tga to 360x360. But now, when I check, that file is again 768x768. Very strange things. Have you checked that the yourmap_mm_low.tga file is in fact 360x360?

EDIT: I appear to be mistaken here, I distinctly remember doing the above, but now the mm.tga is 768x768 without issues. So I don't know anymore.
12 Jan 2014, 12:48 PM

You should check the options-file for the mini-map size.
12 Jan 2014, 12:50 PM

lol, wut about some real tactical map? Kappa
12 Jan 2014, 13:07 PM
Honorary Member Badge

lol, wut about some real tactical map? Kappa

I've got no idea what's causing the problem- the tga files in the Scenarios/MP/2p_Karelian_Summer folder are all the right size (768 by 768 for mm.tga, mm_high.tga, and mm_preview.tga, and 360 by 360 for mm_low.tga). It's been exported, updated to the workshop, etc etc yet it still appears bugged when I load up the map and when others download the map and try it.

Help would be much appreciated.
12 Jan 2014, 13:27 PM

Had the same problem. First of all you should check the options file and try the following:

minimap_size =
{
}
12 Jan 2014, 13:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Had the same problem. First of all you should check the options file and try the following:

minimap_size =
{
}

Thanks, that worked. The minimap should be working now, as should the tactical map. What I did was- delete the map entirely and empty the Scenarios/MP/Map_name folder (making backups prior to that), save the map again, paste in the edited TGAs into the Scenarios/MP/Map_name folder, change the options files, replace the mm.tga in the Scenarios/MP folder with the edited version, then re-export the entire thing again. Credits to Kronomancer for very useful assistance in the troubleshooting process.
13 Jan 2014, 18:15 PM
Patrion 26

I really liked the map =) And I still enjoy the win against you on it (woohoo) :)

Just my personal opinion that there is too much green cover in the cap points, I don`t know if you did intentionally and it felt right to you when we played it.

Really looking forward to play it again with you to see the changes and maybe add some valuable feedback to make this map great.

I don`t know if you did some changes with the east fuel point and the church there. If I remember correctly units couldn`t actually cover the fuel point while the west point can be really covered due to building and green cover.

Hope to play you again soon =)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS