Login

russian armor

How to survive as Germans in 2v2?

23 Dec 2013, 22:39 PM

This last patch really skewed the gameplay in 2v2. Prior to the patch my partner and I had an 8-1 W/L ratio and were ranked around 500. We're now just above .500 in wins and dropped over 1000 points in ranking. Every game we're encountering mass cons to floods of shock/guards and can't even keep even map control. We're on our heels from about 4 minutes into the the game on. By the time we're able to field any decent tanks (if at all) there are IS-2's and T34/85's mopping up what ever armor we've been able to scrounge up while the shocks clean up anything left. It's been ugly.

We've tried rushing to pgrens, FHT, scouts, MG42's LMG grens, bunkers, but if we manage to get any traction at all against the inf the 120m usually makes sure we're retreating quick enough.

Just curious how other teams are winning with this right now?
24 Dec 2013, 03:11 AM

Why is FHT not working for you? They do not have hard counter to it until T-70 - which is rare in team games.

Given that you dont eat up AT nades all the time :))

I never was fond of shocks, but this patch make me happy... giving the germys a taste of elite infantry that melts your like butter just tickles me
24 Dec 2013, 09:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2013, 03:11 AMstichy
Why is FHT not working for you? They do not have hard counter to it until T-70 - which is rare in team games.

Given that you dont eat up AT nades all the time :))

I never was fond of shocks, but this patch make me happy... giving the germys a taste of elite infantry that melts your like butter just tickles me

It's 2v2, every decent soviet team will have all tiers and both shocks and guards.

One going conscripts+shocks into t2 and the other guards+sniper clown cars and there's not much you can do since both guards and shocks will be out before you get t2 up.

All I can suggest is to play definsively, make good use of cover until you can get some t3 vehicles out. Sniper would be the must go bu they are buggy and need a ton of micro to avoid m3s, mortars and countersnipe.
24 Dec 2013, 12:20 PM

Hmm...I haven't really experienced a drop with germans in 2v2, but I am .533 from .667 since patch in 1vs1. :(

How about uploading a couple of your replays and let's see what went wrong...
24 Dec 2013, 14:20 PM

I usually open with 2x MG's and move them so they can cover each other, always mutually supporting one another so the soviets cannot flank them, I support these with 2x squads of Grenadiers and make sure to Upgrade them with LMG's. The sniper works well but keep it a max range to kill shocks from afar.

I find the scout car is not much use anymore since it's nerf and the FHT is good for reinforcing troops, but I find myself being far more careful with it since the last patch.
24 Dec 2013, 15:40 PM

It's 2v2, every decent soviet team will have all tiers and both shocks and guards.

One going conscripts+shocks into t2 and the other guards+sniper clown cars and there's not much you can do since both guards and shocks will be out before you get t2 up.

All I can suggest is to play definsively, make good use of cover until you can get some t3 vehicles out. Sniper would be the must go bu they are buggy and need a ton of micro to avoid m3s, mortars and countersnipe.

Yeah, that's pretty much what we've been seeing. We've tried to play defensively and hold on, but our defense is essentially a house of cards. Once they break any part of it, the rest comes tumbling down. The shocks roll through the gap and just eat up anything in their path. Then we're giving up map control and the rest of the game is spent trying to fight back to even. The 120m mortar really makes you pay for being defensive as well. MG42's and Paks are just free XP for that beast. Now I know why it was my favorite unit when we were playing Soviets. ;)

I do have good luck with snipers but the True Sight mechanic is a nightmare with them. So often you think they have a clear LOS on an engagement and they just sit there doing nothing. As soon as you order them to engage they run out of cover and out of max range and then it's constant babysitting. Still, I do think they're worth it.

Thanks for the input. We'll keep trying to adapt and figure something out. If I get a good replay where I feel we made minimal mistakes and still got trounced I'll upload to get some advice.
23 Jan 2014, 01:09 AM

Hawk,this problem of yours is not just your problem, this is what i found to be a major balance issue,and i really hope devs will recognize this and fix this very soon. Playing as a german is much more harder now as russian can own everything you throw at them. Shock troops are just too strong as early infantry unit in the game,making them very hard to counter,and have easy map control. Prior to that,their tanks came out way early then germans do,and mixed with shocktroops owning everhything on the map combined with tanks...well, is just very hard to counter if you re still playing with halftracks at mid game..
23 Jan 2014, 08:29 AM

I don't understand. You said that you have a 0.9 winrate. So it was unbalance !! Even for a good player, 0.9 winrate should not be reached in a balance game!! A game is balance when ratio is near 0.5 ! Not when you always win !! And then if you want to improve it is rather skill and adaptation !

But i agree shock are not easy to deal with. But there is possibility as said before or in other posts. You have to adapt your build to what sov do. They can't do everything even in 2vs2.

Personnaly i think that german play too much passively in early game. Truck, fuel, etc...

An aggressive play concentrate in one point with the two german follow by un bunker will force sov play def and rush ziz (mass conscript/Sc can't handle bunker). That give you a lot of time that you need to go T3, or everything else. You juste have to not overcommit and know when to give up the bunker aggressive position.

23 Jan 2014, 13:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2014, 08:29 AMrafiki

But i agree shock are not easy to deal with. But there is possibility as said before or in other posts. You have to adapt your build to what sov do. They can't do everything even in 2vs2.

No,they are not easy to deal with,that s what i am saying,its harder because one little mistake costs you a game easily like losing a sniper or a halftrack...
28 Jan 2014, 05:03 AM

MG42, Sniper, Mortar HT and (partner's flame HT) works really good against 1CP elite inf spam

Fire barrage on them, finish off with flamer HT while they retreat.
30 Jan 2014, 00:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2014, 13:19 PMBrenky
No,they are not easy to deal with,that s what i am saying,its harder because one little mistake costs you a game easily like losing a sniper or a halftrack...

^^^

This.

ONE MISTAKE and you've lost the game.
By the time you can get back on your feet and gain some map control, the rushed T34 is out on the prowl and the shock troops are vet 2. Those shock troops allow soviet players to relax...
I find that playing as Ostheer is much more challenging than it was prior to the patch.
I still enjoy it but I see myself losing more than before.
12 Feb 2014, 18:31 PM

Although the thread is quite finished I just want to mention that you will always have that effect when you quickly raise in rank. You just encountered more skilled players afterwards and as metioned before, once you are were you belong you should get to a W/L ratio of .5. From there you can try to better yourself.
I'm just stating that here cause people tend to blame ballance rather then taking that into consideration.
15 Feb 2014, 21:42 PM

^^^

This.

ONE MISTAKE and you've lost the game.
By the time you can get back on your feet and gain some map control, the rushed T34 is out on the prowl and the shock troops are vet 2. Those shock troops allow soviet players to relax...
I find that playing as Ostheer is much more challenging than it was prior to the patch.
I still enjoy it but I see myself losing more than before.

This is generally how I feel. You have to conservative as all hell and LOSE NOTHING. Seems like when the game is almost certainly over for the opposing team, some hilarious example of RNG will happen with a mortar or something and then we'll get a minor loss that turns into a big loss and next thing you know, their uber call-in tank is shelling the shit out of you from across the map.

It seems like the current meta is for the Soviet player to flood the field with infantry or emplacements and try not to be completely destroyed before the big call-in tank arrives. It's just tricky putting so much pressure on when their ability to call in and tech up is inevitable even with no map control.
18 Feb 2014, 23:58 PM

Although the thread is quite finished I just want to mention that you will always have that effect when you quickly raise in rank. You just encountered more skilled players afterwards and as metioned before, once you are were you belong you should get to a W/L ratio of .5. From there you can try to better yourself.
I'm just stating that here cause people tend to blame ballance rather then taking that into consideration.

I have "this effect", despite being stuck at my rank (or around) for ages now.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★