Login

russian armor

Reliable way to kill Panthers?

4 Jan 2014, 13:48 PM

I have been wondering about a technique lately, to kill heavy German tanks efficiently and came up with this. Note that this is a theoretical train of thought, untested. I will try to test it if the occasion presents itself. The idea dawned on me, when I accidentally double rammed a P4 (one on the side, the other on the nose), at pretty much the same time.

Imagine a Tiger Ace driving on the battlefield. Ram its nose and its tail, so it is bunked in between your T34s.

Then finish it off with AT, doctrinal bombs (eg the 50kg one) or even satchel charges (since it is completely immobile).

Anyone thinks that this might work? If not, please elaborate :)

Edit: it just dawned on me that the tank might get away if it turns around its axis. Would the two t34s be able to really bunk it in that tightly it won't be able to move?
5 Jan 2014, 01:18 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You will find a very small period before one or both of the T 34s gets destroyed and the Tiger can move again I think.
5 Jan 2014, 22:09 PM

Satchel charges might do the trick, or the 50kg bomb though that would take a while to drop. Luck will be necessary to pull it off though :p
5 Jan 2014, 23:27 PM

4x ISU 152.
8 Jan 2014, 15:07 PM

4x ISU 152.

I guess you own all the fuel in the world
8 Jan 2014, 19:42 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2013, 17:31 PMtokarev

Well, I always appreciate irony you always respond to my posts with, Cardboard Tank.

But I never meant to say that Panther is OP or anything like that. All I wanted to say that it takes a lot more effort for Soviets to kill Panther than for Germans to knock out ... lets say IS-2.

By the way, when you were choosing your nick name were you thinking of T-34?)

So actually microing 1 unit to oblivion is not an effort?
Please tell me more how you micro your SU85 with that reverse button.
Or how you micro that Ram on T-34 who can actually beat the panther when they are in a pair of 2. Want me to mention the ridiculous early T-34/85 as well?
20 Jan 2014, 17:57 PM

I personally prefer the IS-2 over the ISU-152 (due to the IS-2's more offensive orientation). My doctrinal choices revolve around the IS-2/ISU.

It is essential to have a pair of Zis guns w/ conscripts operating in conjunction with your tanks as the IS-2 is not cost effective against the panther(s). I also include a HMG if possible just to protect the conscripts and zis guns.

If you have 3 or even 4 guns against the Panther(s), it'll even out the odds. The idea is to 'bracket'/'pincer' the Panther from 2 sides. The Panther should run into the Zis guns first (always, if possible) and get AT naded as fast as possible. The IS-2 then comes in and fires into the rear. If the Panther(s) backtrack, the IS-2 takes responsibility and pursues while never exposing its rear to the Panther.

So this is how I go 'Animal hunting'.

The ISU-152 is also a good counter against the panther but very often shots bounce off the front, and the other side backtracks the panther away so it's harder to trap them.

There's no perfect recipe, but when I go 'animal hunting' my IS-2 tactic is rather hard to counter, as I hunt animals in a coordinated way (bind 1 w/ IS-2, bind 2 w/zis) and the opfor needs to 'blob up' and find a way to kill the pair Zis gun crews first.

I do the same thing with Tigers. With the Tiger Ace, I use a trio of anti-tank guns instead of a pair.
1 Feb 2014, 05:20 AM

general for me I just get 1 at gun and support it with T-34's and conscipts but I am more infantry focused as russians Conscript support tactics FTW :D panther is preety weak vs supported AT guns but Combined arms done right defeats most german forces
1 Feb 2014, 11:19 AM
Donator 22

Two or three Kv1s can take on a panther
1 Feb 2014, 18:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Feb 2014, 11:19 AMRizza
Two or three Kv1s can take on a panther

and this will take forever because of its weak 76mm gun. Germans will have plenty of time to react
1 Feb 2014, 19:50 PM

^

That's why the KV-1s (1 to 3) always need a pair of zis in support. So does the IS-2. Both tanks are good AI but are cost ineffective with AT.

A big enemy of the supporting zis pair is panzerwerfer, fragmentation bomb and light howie strike...The IS-2 can still stop heavy tanks if the zis pair is lost, but the KV-1's become gimped for AT.
4 Feb 2014, 07:30 AM

As much as combined arms is necessary for Soviets, there's a lot of resources dedicated to taking down one unit. Meanwhile, your opponent(s) can cap points while a significant portion of your army is dealing with one unit that can blitz away if their engine is intact at any moment's notice. I'm really surprised that overheating isn't added to Blitz when Ram has been nerfed to a manageable level.
4 Feb 2014, 09:09 AM

site your su85s well, they will deal with panthers well enough. 2x su85 + conscripts AT nades or guards button are more than enough to destroy panthers.

unless they have 3 panthers, then u better have a truckload of zis, mines and covering 3 su85s.

the idea is to force panthers to flank and su85s gives them a very good reason to do so. then you punish them when they flank.

soviet tanks like the t34 and is2 are almost a waste on panthers. panthers dont need to really flank against soviet armour. they outrange all soviet tanks and have a good frontal armour, so they can sit back in their lines and take potshots. this makes them even more effective as they are safe from ur AT guns, which then you will have to pull up AT guns which will probably be in range of their mortars/artillery.
8 Feb 2014, 20:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2014, 21:45 PMWilliG
More t34/76 were built than t34/85. Plus I think that the point is that if you could build t34/85 there really wouldn't be much of a point to building the regular t34. And they're not cruddy they just have to be used properly.

by used properly he means as a battering ram...lol, T34-85 should be tier 4 along with the su-85 although the SU-85 should be called an SU 100 and be more expensive, Its at capability and range would better suit it being an SU 100. Then you could keep the T34-85 as it is, remove the ram ability from the T34-85, that will keep the 76 useful.

You could pretend the T34-85 cant ram because it had heavier armour and the guns too long :D

seriously ram is so stupid albeit necessary, relic would have been much better off making tanks fight like real tanks it would have been so much more fun.

8 Feb 2014, 21:03 PM

this post is just a mistake I couldn't find a way of getting out of...lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight