Login

russian armor

Soviet Mortar Vet 1 Ability

20 Dec 2013, 20:29 PM

Lol, you only play Soviets anw =)

Calm your a**. I dont need something nefr, or boost. After patch i simply adapt my strategy. I just play and have fun with this Company of Whiners.
20 Dec 2013, 20:56 PM

Imo I don't think the Soviet mortar should be buffed or nerfed for the price it's currently set at. It can also be easily countered by a German mortar due to it's increased fire rate.
20 Dec 2013, 20:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 20:56 PMVonIvan
Imo I don't think the Soviet mortar should be buffed or nerfed for the price it's currently set at. It can also be easily countered by a German mortar due to it's increased fire rate.

god has spoken yet again... nuff said
20 Dec 2013, 21:22 PM

god has spoken yet again... nuff said

Last time I checked VonIvan is not head of balancing team. I don't think the Soviet mortar is not balanced, I think the ability is too cheap for its effect.
20 Dec 2013, 21:31 PM

Last time I checked VonIvan is not head of balancing team. I don't think the Soviet mortar is not balanced, I think the ability is too cheap for its effect.

I may not be head of the balancing team but I am part of the Beta team which tests these types of things out for the Head of the balance team to see if they're in need of change, and I can tell you this particular unit does not. I have also used the 120mm mortar this patch extensively and I can say without a doubt it can be easily countered by the German mortar. The ability is also not cheap being that it costs 400mp to get the mortar in the first place, wait until it gains vet 1, and then finally use the ability for 45 munitions on a particular target which is passive like an mg, mortar, or pak gun, which is the point of the ability. Just because someone knows how to use the mortar effectively doesn't mean you can all justify it needing change, as then there would be no point in using it.
20 Dec 2013, 21:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 21:31 PMVonIvan

I may not be head of the balancing team but I am part of the Beta team which tests these types of things out for the Head of the balance team to see if they're in need of change, and I can tell you this particular unit does not. I have also used the 120mm mortar this patch extensively and I can say without a doubt it can be easily countered by the German mortar. The ability is also not cheap being that it costs 400mp to get the mortar in the first place, wait until it gains vet 1, and then finally use the ability for 45 munitions on a particular target which is passive like an mg, mortar, or pak gun, which is the point of the ability. Just because someone knows how to use the mortar effectively doesn't mean you can all justify it needing change, as then there would be no point in using it.

I knew you were on beta, and I am not doubting that you have information about balance. I was just saying that you don't make the call, you contribute to the group decisions.

I hear you that you think this ability is fair for use, but I disagree. It is too effective at completely wiping squads. To encourage more infantry play these abilities should be toned down so infantry are more attractive.

Just voicing my opinion so Relic knows there is not complete agreement. They can look at it and decide.
20 Dec 2013, 23:16 PM

Someone mentioned that there is no heads up for the vet 1 precision strike, but that argument can be countered as there is no heads up for the mortar half-track incinary barrage neither.

Maybe its just me but I have really bad luck using the soviet mortar and if I do get vet its an absolute bonus.

As Von stated, I dont believe this needs a buff or a nerf. Before it has vet, it is terrible IMO.
21 Dec 2013, 01:59 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 21:31 PMVonIvan

VonIvan, the Soviet mortar is 240mp, not 400. Both the regular mortar and callin use a 120mm shot when using precision strike. The ability is also 30 munitions, not 45.
21 Dec 2013, 09:55 AM

I think one other important factor to point out is that the 120mm stands a very good chance of also destroying the weapon. This happened to me a couple nights ago on Don River, 100% mg team was completely destroyed by precision strike, for 30 munis...
21 Dec 2013, 16:25 PM

In my opinion the very existence of this ability is the sole reason why Soviet mortars are what they are. If something has to be done to precision strike then Soviet mortars need to be look at to compensate.
I personally don't like the ability at all as its somehow useful when German player will go for a support heavy build. I would love to see this ability nerfed or reworked and performance of Soviet mortar improved.
22 Dec 2013, 00:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 19:28 PMAradan
I take OH mortar everytime i can. Is far better in fast and precise fire. Why pay muni for something, i can have with OH mortar in free autofire? And if you have problem with soviet mortar, try use counterbarrage. Work well.

counter barrage means that mortar is useless until that ability is deactivated and i actually used couple times, usually they got decrewed by precision strike in 1 shot before have the chance to fire it back
22 Dec 2013, 00:16 AM

Someone mentioned that there is no heads up for the vet 1 precision strike, but that argument can be countered as there is no heads up for the mortar half-track incinary barrage neither.

Maybe its just me but I have really bad luck using the soviet mortar and if I do get vet its an absolute bonus.

As Von stated, I dont believe this needs a buff or a nerf. Before it has vet, it is terrible IMO.

at least incendiary barrage give infantry teams and weapon teams a chance to get out instead of instant wipe like precision strike does. if your weapon team got wipe by incendiary barrage is just you didn't pay attention to your units or didn't press "space bar" often enough
22 Dec 2013, 05:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2013, 01:59 AMRazh

VonIvan, the Soviet mortar is 240mp, not 400. Both the regular mortar and callin use a 120mm shot when using precision strike. The ability is also 30 munitions, not 45.

For real?
22 Dec 2013, 05:20 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Then i dont think the whole unit should revolve around getting it vet or not. If the unit is underperforming the unit needs to change, not letting it have just 1 useful/somehow op ability.

I´ll love to see more "creative" ways to "fix" this ability but if i have to go for an easy fix, i should say it would be nice to test having it´s ability lesser range than the actual range of the mortar + having it normal barrage damage.
22 Dec 2013, 06:55 AM

It's not overpowered, a unit shouldn't be idle for that long anyways, if you know they have a 120mm mortar, and that they are vet 1, then you shouldn't leave your units idle, and move and re deploy.
22 Dec 2013, 07:02 AM

It's a strategy game, and observation and adaption are 2 key factors of many, and many "units" counter mortars. PG's wipe a whole mortar squad "unsupported" within seconds.. Grenades, rifle grenades, just general unit harassment. and as i stated above, if you're willing to leave a pak43, mortar squad, MG42 just sat in a defense position knowing full well there's a mortar on the field, whose fault is it rally that your squad gets wiped? you being naive, and neglectful, or...
there is no other answer for that question, be more aware.
22 Dec 2013, 08:58 AM

at least incendiary barrage give infantry teams and weapon teams a chance to get out instead of instant wipe like precision strike does. if your weapon team got wipe by incendiary barrage is just you didn't pay attention to your units or didn't press "space bar" often enough

Soviet ZiS-3 have no chance get out of incendiary barrage. You lost men very fast.
22 Dec 2013, 15:21 PM

Some units like maxim or ZiS have big problems getting out of the burning area.
Fire kill the man pulling the weapon and while another man is taking it, they all start to die.
22 Dec 2013, 16:18 PM
Senior Caster Badge

It is pretty damn strong, but keep in mind it's not 100% accurate, it's just much more accurate than normal. There definitely are plenty of times when the shell misses and doesn't kill the squad.

Counter barrage is actually very strong too. Not for countering precision strike, but just overall it's very strong in mortar duels.
22 Dec 2013, 16:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2013, 08:58 AMAradan

Soviet ZiS-3 have no chance get out of incendiary barrage. You lost men very fast.

i know it is hard to get out but i manage to get my weapon team out of fire around half of the time for Maxim, and once Zis-3 the crew pull the gun die it is hard but i still see it pull out some times like 10-20% of the time. but at least weapon is fine i guess because so many times i see my new pak gun got killed by precision strike with AT destroyed in the same time
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 66
South Africa 1
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak