Login

russian armor

INPUT LAG Relics Lost Cause

19 Dec 2013, 16:56 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 06:37 AMNoun
The good news is that we have something in the works that may address this. Greg teased it on SNF.

The expectation is once we have it if someone is lagging in a match it should only affect their game, leaving other players' games running smoothly.

Great to hear, can you give us some more information? :)
19 Dec 2013, 18:15 PM
Patrion 26

Thanks for that, but it still doesn't explain why some others are not having this issue at all. If the animation needed to finish then everyone would have the same problem. Yet we have some people with no /very little input lag , and some with up to 3 seconds.

Your post are getting retarded. If some people have it and some not, wtf does that mean? That something is wrong on the side of that person..... Common sense.
19 Dec 2013, 19:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 16:50 PMInverse
Do you know what network latency is? No netcode can overcome the laws of physics. If you play someone on the other side of the world, you're going to have a delay.

Unless you have an ansible connection :3

Latency 0ms in the whole Milky Way.
19 Dec 2013, 20:14 PM

The good news is that we have something in the works that may address this. Greg teased it on SNF.

The expectation is once we have it if someone is lagging in a match it should only affect their game, leaving other players' games running smoothly.

could you let us know when to expect this fix?
19 Dec 2013, 22:59 PM

I would be happy with a basic lobby system so you could filter out players with bad ping and performance, like we could in vCOH.

If one of the main reasons behind the lag is some animations having to finish, how is it possible to make such a blunder, and npt figuring out before half a year has pased? Am I missing something?
19 Dec 2013, 23:21 PM
Coder Red Badge

It makes a lot of sense. It makes the game look better, because animations look more fluid and the movement of units looks more realistic. Seeing as Relic's target audience is players who likely value appearance over responsiveness, you can start to see why the tradeoff was made.
20 Dec 2013, 02:06 AM

Errr its not only about looks Inverse: the very simple fact remains that in CoH1 it is possible to dodge nades, and it is not in CoH2 cause squads respond too late to the movecommand issued.
20 Dec 2013, 13:58 PM
Coder Red Badge

There are a lot of reasons for that though. There's no deep snow in vCoH, so your infantry always have a constant speed. The grenade throw animation is a lot longer in vCoH, so you have more time to react. Animations are different, so you don't have some squad members waiting until after an animation completes to follow the next command.

That last issue is the biggest, and was likely implemented because it makes squad movements look better and more realistic. Which is what my post was about.
20 Dec 2013, 15:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 13:58 PMInverse
There are a lot of reasons for that though. There's no deep snow in vCoH, so your infantry always have a constant speed. The grenade throw animation is a lot longer in vCoH, so you have more time to react. Animations are different, so you don't have some squad members waiting until after an animation completes to follow the next command.

That last issue is the biggest, and was likely implemented because it makes squad movements look better and more realistic. Which is what my post was about.

Im pretty convinced the sluggish way infantry responds to commands has nothing to do with lag coming from a P2P connection. Hell, even a 300ms connection would be ok for a RTS, whereas that would be horrible for shooters like Counterstrike.

The problem lies within the gamedesign, as you said Inverse: "Animations are different, so you don't have some squad members waiting until after an animation completes to follow the next command."

This sluggishness is seen all throughout CoH2, not just for infantry movement commands. For instance, I sometimes lose a squad to a satchel even though I retreated right when he threw the thing at me. Why? Cause my infantry waits around a few seconds with the retreatarrow over their heads instead of actually going to base right away after you ordered the retreat (and like they do in CoH1).
Also I notice my infantry sometimes stopping halfway during a retreat to hide in cover for a few seconds. I really don't see why it's so difficult for Relic to have infantry on retreat just head back straight to base tbh.
The sluggishness can also be seen when microing tanks in a small area. It is just so much more "unresponsive" than coh1 was: both the pathing itself, and the unit response to your commands.

We seem to have forgotten by now but the unitresponse used to be WAY worse: remember fighting Guard Rifles with your Pgrens only to have them crawl on the floor whenever a PTRS rifle got fired? That REALLY made me feel lack of control.

So yeah, I kinda feel that in order so solve the input lag Relic has to look at their gamedesign, not networkcoding.

20 Dec 2013, 15:48 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 15:01 PMStoffa

Im pretty convinced the sluggish way infantry responds to commands has nothing to do with lag coming from a P2P connection. Hell, even a 300ms connection would be ok for a RTS, whereas that would be horrible for shooters like Counterstrike.

The problem lies within the gamedesign, as you said Inverse: "Animations are different, so you don't have some squad members waiting until after an animation completes to follow the next command."

This sluggishness is seen all throughout CoH2, not just for infantry movement commands. For instance, I sometimes lose a squad to a satchel even though I retreated right when he threw the thing at me. Why? Cause my infantry waits around a few seconds with the retreatarrow over their heads instead of actually going to base right away after you ordered the retreat (and like they do in CoH1).
Also I notice my infantry sometimes stopping halfway during a retreat to hide in cover for a few seconds. I really don't see why it's so difficult for Relic to have infantry on retreat just head back straight to base tbh.
The sluggishness can also be seen when microing tanks in a small area. It is just so much more "unresponsive" than coh1 was: both the pathing itself, and the unit response to your commands.

We seem to have forgotten by now but the unitresponse used to be WAY worse: remember fighting Guard Rifles with your Pgrens only to have them crawl on the floor whenever a PTRS rifle got fired? That REALLY made me feel lack of control.

So yeah, I kinda feel that in order so solve the input lag Relic has to look at their gamedesign, not networkcoding.

300ms are good enough for and RTS? Sure keep believing that. You can already notice a difference at 150ms. Also you are mixing pathing issues with input lag issues.
20 Dec 2013, 16:40 PM

300ms are good enough for and RTS? Sure keep believing that. You can already notice a difference at 150ms. Also you are mixing pathing issues with input lag issues.

God I hate writing a long, nuanced post only to get onelined (ok: twolined) by a guy that barely speaks english. Will the new Nullist please stand up? Please stand up...?

To add some nuance to your oneliners: No I don't think 300ms is really good enough for a RTS, but it is at least playable. Whereas a game like Counterstrike is completely unplayable at 300ms. Nuance, mon ami, nuance.

And I am not mixing anything up: I was merely indicating the sluggishness of CoH2 extends beyond only input lag. And I was doing that to show that it is by design, not by lag. So therefore the term "input lag" isnt a good term for the delay in movement after a mouseclick.

Now stop annoying me with your stupid oneliners.

20 Dec 2013, 16:48 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 16:40 PMStoffa

God I hate writing a long, nuanced post only to get onelined (ok: twolined) by a guy that barely speaks english. Will the new Nullist please stand up? Please stand up...?

To add some nuance to your oneliners: No I don't think 300ms is really good enough for a RTS, but it is at least playable. Whereas a game like Counterstrike is completely unplayable at 300ms. Nuance, mon ami, nuance.

And I am not mixing anything up: I was merely indicating the sluggishness of CoH2 extends beyond only input lag. And I was doing that to show that it is by design, not by lag. So therefore the term "input lag" isnt a good term for the delay in movement after a mouseclick.

Now stop annoying me with your stupid oneliners.

First of all, be more polite.
Second, your long posts are boring and repetitive so yeah I didn`t read it all ( like the other 90% of people on this forum). So I apologize if you took a "stating the obvious" comment as an insult.
Now go and learn some manners.
20 Dec 2013, 16:50 PM

First of all, be more polite.
Second, your long posts are boring and repetitive so yeah I didn`t read it all ( like the other 90% of people on this forum). So I apologize if you took a "stating the obvious" comment as an insult.
Now go and learn some manners.

First of all, be more polite. <-> your long posts are boring and repetitive

Are you sure you're not the reincarnation of Nullist? Also, please don't reply to my posts if you didn't even bother reading them thoroughly, thank you very much :)
20 Dec 2013, 16:54 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 16:50 PMStoffa

First of all, be more polite. <-> your long posts are boring and repetitive

Are you sure you're not the reincarnation of Nullist? Also, please don't reply to my posts if you didn't even bother reading them thoroughly, thank you very much :)

your long posts are boring and repetitive <- Is not an insult but a "stating the obvious" comment.:)
In a matter of fact I agree with you now that I have read your post. And I am surprised that people can`t distinguish input lag and pathing/unit behavior around cover and such.
You don`t need to have coding knowledge to realize those two things are 2 different matters. <------This is a general comment for all, not for you, so don`t get insulted
20 Dec 2013, 17:31 PM

your long posts are boring and repetitive <- Is not an insult but a "stating the obvious" comment.:)

ah, I wasn't aware my posts are "obviously" boring and repetitive. You're right, how can I be offended by a fact like that. cough*douche*cough

Also I strongly recommend you read posts before you reply to them. If you think they're boring and repetitive don't reply to them. Replying to posts you haven't fully read makes no sense.
20 Dec 2013, 17:32 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2013, 17:31 PMStoffa

ah, I wasn't aware my posts are "obviously" boring and repetitive. You're right, how can I be offended by a fact like that. cough*douche*cough

Also I strongly recommend you read posts before you reply to them. If you think they're boring and repetitive don't reply to them. Replying to posts you haven't fully read makes no sense.

Apparently it makes people mad and cause drama....
No idea why though, It`s not like I offended you in my initial comment as far as I remember
20 Dec 2013, 17:47 PM

Will it ever be possible to see yours and other players latency?

I also have encountered many player who's setting are too high so I am told and thus the game lags, is there a possible solution to stop players joining games with too high settings?
21 Dec 2013, 03:29 AM

From Australia, it was very common to have 300ms ping.

And I still did fine.
21 Dec 2013, 08:35 AM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2013, 03:29 AMhubewa

From Australia, it was very common to have 300ms ping.

And I still did fine.

What exactly are you trying to prove here?
21 Dec 2013, 09:06 AM

What exactly are you trying to prove here?

I'm just saying with 300ms ping, VCOH and COH2 was still very playable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★