Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2013, 04:22 AMVonIvan

am i doing it right? :P

edit: on a serious note when i see this i tend to not be serious
@Inverse

CoH INPUT LAG 0

CoH 2 Input LAG 3 SECONDS

You do the math

relic has said that they are working on more ways to make it better. but there is no way input lag can ever be zero none.
18 Dec 2013, 05:03 AM
Donator 11

Cmon guys and relic.. ofcourse everyone knows its impossible to elimate all form of lag but anyone who have played many online RTS all agree no game has this much input lag as coh2. 1v1 works pretty well and sometimes 2v2 too but 3v3 is pretty much atleast 2 seconds delay and 4vs4 its not even worth to bother with.

When 80% of all teamgames is 3-5 sec delay (which is around 3000-5000 ping) and more often than not someone is dropping because of too much lag and YOU are trying to tell us that its the nature of Online play then you are basicly living in the early 90's because thats not how it works today in other games.
18 Dec 2013, 05:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2013, 05:03 AMWiFiDi

am i doing it right? :P

edit: on a serious note when i see this i tend to not be serious

18 Dec 2013, 08:22 AM
Patrion 14

This has nothing to do with poor latency from a P2P connection. To be honest it is just shit coding from Relic, which they need to fix or CoH2 will NEVER be anything more then a mediocre retarded step child to what vCoH was.

Relic, can you confirm this? Is the CoH2 animations causing the input lag? Won't hold my breath for an answer.

Im sorry, but with that horrid attitude in your post I wouldnt expect you get an answer either. Also, it seems you havnt read patchnotes, followed threads on this, read posts in this thread or watched cast on latest patch. Read up on what has been done, what can be done and what is being considered for the future.
18 Dec 2013, 09:45 AM
Donator 11

From my recent experience the new patch has made things a little better and most of my games have good responsiveness from units including the 4v4's

Still get the odd slowdown where for no apparent reason halfway through the game two players lag out to each other (very occasionally this is clearly deliberate)

The last few nights we have had some all clan games with 6-8 people from the US, Europe and Australia and i haven't noticed any significant delay in commands - dodging molotovs etc with ease. Im not saying its quite as responsive as COH was at its best but there is a possible further fix in the works for after christmas.

Relic said they are working on a fix that will unlock players from the speed from the slowest player so this delay is not passed onto all players. One difference of COH2 from COH1 of course is that the data is routed through steam servers and I have a hunch that this has been one of the differences in the behaviour.
18 Dec 2013, 21:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2013, 02:20 AMNoun
People complained about lag in CoH. Trust me.

Yes Noun they did, but they did not complain about 3 seconds input lag between orders for all units in every single game. My router firmware is up to date and i have a 50 mb download speed. Sega suport were not helpful and could not solve this issue.

I know for a fact that this problem is fairly widespread as I have spoken to many people with the exact same issue and have seen numerous posts all over the forums as have you in regards to this. Now I dont know if you will totally ignore this or will look into it on behalf of myself and all the other people having this game breaking issue but I truly hope you will investigate this thoroughly as it is destroying my enjoyment and many other peoples of this excellent game.

@Wifi I am unsure if you are directing an uncalled for and personal insult towards me or something else..., I am speaking from what I have experienced and from what other people I have met in game and on the forums have also said to me. I will stress again , I have had no such issues with input command delay with CoH 1 only for CoH 2 . This is not normal lag, as the game is still running without freezing or skipping. Change the 0 to 0.001 its still not noticeable. The commands/ orders in CoH 2 just DO NOT register until 3 seconds after. It is plainly obvious that it has nothing to do with the animations as some people are not even having this issue while others are getting a horrendous 3 seconds.

@Jin not based on anything ? I am telling you having played CoH 1 from the very first day it was released this was never a problem. Just because you are not having issues do not make the incorrect assumption that others are perfectly fine as well. Do some research, read some posts about input lag and you can see for yourself about the numbers do this before making any stupid statements.
18 Dec 2013, 23:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImslR3y3z1Y&feature=youtu.be

here is a video of the exact problem , we can see clearly from clicking the mouse to an action being performed by the unit is exactly 3 seconds.

Dodging grenades is near impossible unless you move before the animation has even started. Micro and path finding are also just as horrific.

As for competitive play... a big NO NO
19 Dec 2013, 01:10 AM
Donator 22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImslR3y3z1Y&feature=youtu.be

here is a video of the exact problem , we can see clearly from clicking the mouse to an action being performed by the unit is exactly 3 seconds.

You do realise that video doesn't show 3 second input lag or support your argument? While the video is 3 seconds long the click is a good second in and i would say it was 0.5-1 seconds before they responded. While it is noticeable i would be interested to see if it was pre or post-patch. Also even with that lag dodging grenades/molotovs is eminently doable.
19 Dec 2013, 04:35 AM
Coder Red Badge

Yes Noun they did, but they did not complain about 3 seconds input lag between orders for all units in every single game. My router firmware is up to date and i have a 50 mb download speed. Sega suport were not helpful and could not solve this issue.

I know for a fact that this problem is fairly widespread as I have spoken to many people with the exact same issue and have seen numerous posts all over the forums as have you in regards to this. Now I dont know if you will totally ignore this or will look into it on behalf of myself and all the other people having this game breaking issue but I truly hope you will investigate this thoroughly as it is destroying my enjoyment and many other peoples of this excellent game.

@Wifi I am unsure if you are directing an uncalled for and personal insult towards me or something else..., I am speaking from what I have experienced and from what other people I have met in game and on the forums have also said to me. I will stress again , I have had no such issues with input command delay with CoH 1 only for CoH 2 . This is not normal lag, as the game is still running without freezing or skipping. Change the 0 to 0.001 its still not noticeable. The commands/ orders in CoH 2 just DO NOT register until 3 seconds after. It is plainly obvious that it has nothing to do with the animations as some people are not even having this issue while others are getting a horrendous 3 seconds.

@Jin not based on anything ? I am telling you having played CoH 1 from the very first day it was released this was never a problem. Just because you are not having issues do not make the incorrect assumption that others are perfectly fine as well. Do some research, read some posts about input lag and you can see for yourself about the numbers do this before making any stupid statements.

God your posts are painful to read. Please, educate yourself on how networks function before you pretend to know the first thing about latency. Your comments reek of ignorance.
19 Dec 2013, 04:53 AM

For those that didn't get it, it's sort of like:

1) There's input lag (your orders seem to be delayed)

2) here's latency lag (your connection to the other person is delayed).

Both vCoH and CoH2 had very big complaints on lag and networking. This was because of P2P limitations (Not necessarily shitty coding). This has to do with distance and connectivity to your opponent.

If I understood correctly, the input lag Relic has been working on has NOTHING to do with connectivity, but will SEEM to be affected because they both overlap. It means that when you send an order to your units, it has to wait until the previous animation (shooting, aiming, taking cover or whatever) finishes, THEN it moves.

vCoH had "shorter" animations. Thus they followed order faster.
19 Dec 2013, 05:40 AM
Donator 22

I am surprised to see that people try to argue the lag away. Since CoH2 is on the market that input lag has been a big reason for me too keep playing vCoH.
And of course, there is a lag in vCoH, but the problem in the old game is far smaller.

But allow me a question.
It seems to me, that when vCoH had laggy connections between the player base, it would simply stop the game for a second or more. This resulted in a stutter. Annoying, sure, but well.....
in CoH2 it seems to me that the game would simply move on smoothly but your units would simply be less responsive, resulting in those painful situations where you try to dodge a nade - but your unit cannot, because the game moves on, while your dodge command is being sent to all the other players.
Is that the reason behind this difference between vCoH and CoH2?
19 Dec 2013, 05:54 AM

I don't think a person making up random numbers should be in any position to tell me to do any research. Especially, since your poorly conceived statement is based on your lack of knowledge and reasoning. Even if you did "research" your numbers are still conjured out of nowhere, and your post was pointless and ridiculously stupid.

I have played vCoH before it's been moved to steam servers, I never said I assumed that others are perfectly fine. I have experienced input lag from vCoH as well as in CoH2. I also experienced flawless connection with both games.

The only reason why it seem like we have more lag in CoH2 is because in vCoH we can actually choose which players we can play with since we could see their ping and their past computer performance in the lobby, and if it's poor we can just simply kick them before we decide to start a game.

In CoH2 there is no way to determine how good the other players connection is unless you played with them.

In both vCoH and CoH2 automatch I was able to play with only a little noticeable lag in 1v1s.

In vCoH 4v4s in automatch was really rare, and most 4v4s takes place in basic match where players can actually kick out the laggy ones before they could start the game. However, in CoH2 most of the 4v4s takes place in automatch where you have a higher chance of playing with players with poor connection. Even if you made a custom lobby with friends, you cannot see which one of them has poor connection.
2 of 2 Relic postsRelic 19 Dec 2013, 06:37 AM

The good news is that we have something in the works that may address this. Greg teased it on SNF.

The expectation is once we have it if someone is lagging in a match it should only affect their game, leaving other players' games running smoothly.
19 Dec 2013, 07:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

good to hear, when I first played coh1 I was suprised if someone else his settings were too high it would lag the game
19 Dec 2013, 09:50 AM
Donator 33

It means that when you send an order to your units, it had to wait until the previous animation (shooting, aiming, taking cover or whatever) finishes, THEN it moves.

FIFY. Last patch changed this.
19 Dec 2013, 15:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 06:37 AMNoun
The good news is that we have something in the works that may address this. Greg teased it on SNF.

The expectation is once we have it if someone is lagging in a match it should only affect their game, leaving other players' games running smoothly.

Thank you Noun for the update, I hope it works...
19 Dec 2013, 15:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 04:35 AMInverse

God your posts are painful to read. Please, educate yourself on how networks function before you pretend to know the first thing about latency. Your comments reek of ignorance.

You know what , with that kind of attitude you can stick it. Don't pretend I ever asked you directly for any kind of help , its not wanted or needed just because you have a little coder under your name don't think your special.

For those that didn't get it, it's sort of like:

1) There's input lag (your orders seem to be delayed)

2) here's latency lag (your connection to the other person is delayed).

Both vCoH and CoH2 had very big complaints on lag and networking. This was because of P2P limitations (Not necessarily shitty coding). This has to do with distance and connectivity to your opponent.

If I understood correctly, the input lag Relic has been working on has NOTHING to do with connectivity, but will SEEM to be affected because they both overlap. It means that when you send an order to your units, it has to wait until the previous animation (shooting, aiming, taking cover or whatever) finishes, THEN it moves.

Thanks for that, but it still doesn't explain why some others are not having this issue at all. If the animation needed to finish then everyone would have the same problem. Yet we have some people with no /very little input lag , and some with up to 3 seconds.
19 Dec 2013, 16:50 PM
Coder Red Badge

Do you know what network latency is? No netcode can overcome the laws of physics. If you play someone on the other side of the world, you're going to have a delay.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 5
Korea, Republic Of 5
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak