Login

russian armor

So, I missed the whole "why russians hate coh2" thing...

• This thread is locked
PAGES (6)down
30 Nov 2013, 10:26 AM

another russian with buttheart...

I'm not russian...I'm also a big opponent of the very ideals of communism, and the soviets...I just really think the storyline was pretty stupid and missed the point of the whole war, to put it shortly.
30 Nov 2013, 10:41 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2013, 10:26 AMEsky
missed the point of the whole war

Which was?
30 Nov 2013, 10:44 AM

The game is called "company of heroes", which is a pro war propaganda game title. It does show heroic actions of war and leaves the unpleasent stuff out, so you as player don´t get a bad feeling. Just like the propaganda movies during that timeframe (saving private ryan). Coh2 does show and make you do unpleasent things, which does not fit the game title.
What you would expect from that title in regards of eastern european warfare would be soviets defending their homelands against evil invaders and nazi s trying to stop communist danger in the east.
I think relic did took the story too far ahead of where it should.

Also relic =/= relic. The vcoh game head designers are not there anymore. Pls don´t say "relic did vcoh, now relic is doing coh2" in the terms of as if the same people are responsible.
30 Nov 2013, 10:51 AM

Now that I stepped back and stopped fanboying this game like I did around August when it came out, I can say, well, the story... is terrible, I'd agree with Esky in terms of how upset the Russians can get.

Want to show war crimes? Sure, just don't simplify it by making every single mission about war crimes or shooting your own men in the back. This was not what the Eastern Front was about and this was not what frontline battles are about.
30 Nov 2013, 10:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

buttheart

This is my new favorite word.
30 Nov 2013, 10:55 AM

@Computer heat +1
30 Nov 2013, 11:15 AM

This is my new favorite word.
yea, dude, buttHEART
30 Nov 2013, 11:37 AM

SINGLE PLAYER SPOILER ALERT

30 Nov 2013, 11:38 AM

This is just a computer game .. don't take it so seriously. If you are interested in history then read critical works on it, don't rely on CoH 2 to give you historical facts.

As other posters have said, we know all nations involved took part in war crimes in one way or another from vast atrocities to isolated incidents and nobody can compare with Germany's "final solution" but let's not pretend Russia particpation wasn't anything like that. Stalin and Beria's NKVD in particular did plenty of horrible things, a lot of it to their own population.
30 Nov 2013, 11:42 AM
Donator 33

buttheart...

I keep trying to picture this in my head, but it's just... wrong.

My2c; I played the campaign, I can see what the Russians are complaining about.

The writers tried to show the soldiers as heroes and the system as evil, but just failed horribly in the overall storytelling. Had Relic had the funds, going full Mass Effect 3 would have been prudent.

Us in the west, we never honestly accepted what Soviet meant for the war - not really. This game doesn't rectify that, unfortunately.
30 Nov 2013, 11:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2013, 03:57 AMEsky
I feel dirty and ashamed to even be associated with the game now.

This is exactly how I felt after watching your stream for a few minutes once. The ignorance and childish behaviour displayed there puts the Single Player Campaign in perspective.

Relic already acknowledged that certain mistakes have been made, making all your appaling war crime comparisons obsolete.
30 Nov 2013, 12:09 PM

This is exactly how I felt after watching your stream for a few minutes once.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Sig worthy burn for sure. Although, I do wonder what does watching my stream have to do with the content of this thread? 90% of my stream is just my playing the game. Speaking of childish behavior.
30 Nov 2013, 12:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2013, 12:09 PMEsky

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Sig worthy burn for sure. Although, I do wonder what does watching my stream have to do with the content of this thread? 90% of my stream is just my playing the game. Speaking of childish behavior.

It is hard to align the actions you display in your own stream with your indignant response to the Single Player Campaign. Your appeal does not feel genuine. Especially since Relic had a proper response months ago, which makes your upset overdue, mean-spirited and interlaced with other intentions.
30 Nov 2013, 12:42 PM

It is hard to align the actions you display in your own stream with your indignant response to the Single Player Campaign. Your appeal does not feel genuine. Especially since Relic had a proper response months ago, which makes your upset overdue, mean-spirited and interlaced with other intentions.

...which are?
30 Nov 2013, 12:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2013, 12:42 PMEsky

...which are?

I do not know. It is not my place to explain to you your own intentions, whether they are hidden or not. However, if these intentions do not exist in any form, an explanation would be appreciated regarding your post, months after this issue has been resolved.
30 Nov 2013, 13:11 PM

I think the russians are overreacting, but the whole storyline and angle was clearly a huge mistake. Asside from the fact that its not that fun to kill your own, or see cutscenes where they tell you everything you do sucks anyways, I can understand that russian players dont enjoy the game as much.

Just imagine how many russian players they could have atracted with a storyline more similair to vCOH.
30 Nov 2013, 13:21 PM

I agree with the OP for 2 reason. 1 the single player aspect in coh2 is pathetic. In its execution and in the story it is telling, its cliche, full of complete lies and its extremely poorly executed.

The aim of the german invasion was that of annihilation of the russian human being. Russia was seen as nothing more than living space and by the 70's the plan was for most of russian human beings to be completely wiped out and the rest turned into a slave race.

The russian solider was literally fighting for survival, and none of this was shown in the campaign at all. In fact the only thing portrayed was how bad the soviet state was.. which it was but as everyone else says so was every other nation.

Focusing only on the negatives portrays the soviet military in a light that makes it look worse than the nazis, which it was not. As basically in every maneuver or every new territory capture the Wehrmacht was complicit in genocide by aiding the SS and einsatsgroupen in wholesale murder of civilians ( including women and young children), as well as the inhuman treatment of millions of soviet POW.

The was in the east was the most brutal and large scale combat in the history of humanity - and none of this comes through in the singleplayer camping.

Relic dropped the ball in so many ways its worse than a joke, they made the most dramatic and massive conflict in modern times into a boring, cliche filled and inaccurate snooze fest.

I find it hard to believe that they read any history at all apart from watching some American films about stalingrad ie enemy at the gates. The way the story was conveyed was poor - especially when compared to the elegant way the singleplayer in vcoh was treated, the picture overlay with great voice acting story which humanized both sides of the combat.

A special mention has to be given to how bad the video cut scenes were and how terrible the voice acting was, to me it seemed like a parody and any emotion that it tried to creat was lost, in fact I was almost embarrassed to play through the whole thing. The missons were also rubbish and it was one of the least fun singleplayer experiences I have had in a RTS game, i think it was due to how little i could get into the story.

All in all I can understand why Russian people hate the game and I dont blame them as its propaganda and its actually really bad from a gaming perspective also.

30 Nov 2013, 13:39 PM
Patrion 14

The argument is that Relic chose not to show the war crimes of any other nation in their games with the Soviet Union being the sole exception.

Considering that the Soviets are also the protagonists of this game, all the special attention to war crimes can be seen as a statement or stance from Relic which can easily be taken as offensive.

Let's face it: it does seem extremely unlikely that a whole squad would be shot for saving a superior officer against overwhelming odds.

I think if Relic simply imitated CoD: World at War and had Soviet troops gunning down and molotov'ing surrendering Germans, it would have been a much more acceptable portrayal of "war crimes" than the particular events that took place in the game.

I think even if they tried so, they did a piss poor job. The reason for the burning in CoD World at War is for the atrocities at Stalingrad, clearly shown in the game. So as a player, you have a certain "justified vengeance" feeling. Okay, it is bad and inhumane, but at least you saw the reason why they did it. World at War did a better job in balancing the war crimes. It showed both sides.
30 Nov 2013, 21:50 PM

AHAHAHAHA

Linking someone's actions having fun (which is what you should be doing when you're gaming) to a political statement he's making seriously, and then going ad hominem all over it.

Tell me when you have more shit rolling up.
1 Dec 2013, 02:45 AM

why do people compare executing your own soldiers to killing women and children? there is no scene in the game that shows soviet soldiers murdering civilians and they did plenty of that during the war.

there is no scene of german soldiers murdering civilians because the game wants to focus only on soldiers. this game also portray german soldiers massacring soviet POWs, yet nobody wants to talk about that.

i agree that this game has some bad scenes because it doesn't portray order 227 well, and have a level where you kill your own soldiers. i also hope that relic will redo there campaign because it's nowhere good as the first one, but there is nothing there that shows the soviets as child murdering rapists.

there is only a sentence that said that soviet soldiers had raped civilians in the loading screen but no scene showing soviet soldiers raping or killing them. just like one character describes germans starving leningrad to death yet no scene showing civilians starving.

people criticizing the game are really making too many biased statements, and somehow thinks scenes in the game is the equivalent to americans burning civilians in world war 2 and for some reason suggest it is a good idea to have a level where soldiers are shooting at civilians and call relic nazis even though there is no evidence of them being nazis.

if you want to play games with heavy war crimes play Spec Ops the line. that game is a lot darker than coh2, it actually has americans killing and burning civilians

btw, all those posts you mentioned that are deleted were deleted for a good reason, they were filled with stupid insults with russians and other people pretending to be historians pulling imaginary numbers out of there asses, calling each other racist names and calling relic nazi. i'm glad that someone actually moderate the forums because the "why relic show russia evil" posts are not constructive, not helpful and only brings in more hate in the community.
PAGES (6)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS