Login

russian armor

MG 42 The Most Useless Unit In The Game

PAGES (13)down
1 Dec 2013, 15:34 PM

Just ignore the guy. Hes gonna look pretty silly when MG42 gets buffed and then it will be readily apparent who has had the l2p issues if he couldnt deal with Mg42 even in its current nerfed state.

Lol @ a guy who's way behind me in rank claiming I have L2p issues. Dude, you're a riot.

I see this thread is populated by people who wanna attack-move their MG42 and deny an entire area of the map by its sheer presence or something. It's funny, back in vCOH the MG was similar to the current one, except with slightly more suppression yet so much more vulnerable. A riflemen flank meant a guaranteed kill except if you retreated well in advance; in COH2 you can usually pack up the MG and start strolling away from the offending conscripts with nary a scrath so long as a supporting unit is nearby. And people still managed to make it a center of the meta because they friggin microed it.

Then again, those were also the days rank 60 000 guys didn't try to pull the L2p card.
1 Dec 2013, 15:36 PM

If you suck at Micro maybe you need a conscript support for the maxim.
Playing soviets I can lock down an area without support just suppress move suppress another squad, its not easy but its defenetly a lot easier than trying to achieve so with 1 MG42

Sorry but what The-Courier wrote is true. Lone Maxim is as vulnerable as lone MG42. If anyone is having problem dealing with these then again this is a learn 2 play issue.
I think that due to design of both units is natural for a Soviet to have Maxim and Conscripts to run around together while a lot of German players will leave their MG42 alone and unsupported. I don't know if it's a bad habit or you just see this wide arc of fire and think to yourself: right, nothing will get here cos I've covered this point with MG42, which quite often is false.
That said I still think a small suppression buff for MG42 is needed though.

Edit:
@ the post above. I agree completely.
1 Dec 2013, 16:08 PM

Permanently Banned
The MG42 currently cant perform its designated role, in comparison to its drawbacks. The arc is meaningless without the capacity to suppress, as compounded even worse by Oorah being perfectly valid for not only avoiding the arc for a fast flank, but escaping it before suppression AS WELL as driving right through it for Molotov range.

Maxim suppresses 1s faster. That alone is cause for concern on the part of the MG42 that also has to deal with Oorah and Molotovs. A Maxim can completely avoid by repositioning simply in the duration it takes for the RNade to fly. Do Sov even bother to micro this? Nope. They just sit there and cry when it hits.

The Maxim is a BETTER SUPPRESSION TOOL than the MG42. How hilarious is that.

We will see what Relic decides.

The "unsupported" MG42 argument is frankly hilarious. Nobody even suggests it, except Sov fanbois trying to protect their priviledge.

I literally am LAUGHING at you two. Hard. Really hard.
1 Dec 2013, 17:01 PM

Molotov versus Rifle Nade argument is kind of false because it's far more easier to spot molotov throw then it is to spot rifle nade. Animation time is the same but molotov is more obvious and there are few reasons why.
Molotov animation is more transparent and you only need to worry about squads that are close to you as it can only be thrown at close range.
With rifle nade every squad in the medium to close range can use rifle nade on your squad so when you have 3 grenadiers squads fighting you in middle range all of these squads can potentially rifle nade you. In the opposite situation you only have to watch squads that are in close range. It's pretty obvious to tell which squad is going for Molotov as well.

As for MG42 not able fulfill its designated role this statement is false as I have been very successful with this unit and it's still core unit of my German play. Again it needs some love but saying the unit is broken or not working is again exaggeration. What's more there are top players using this unit with great success as stated a number of posts above.
1 Dec 2013, 17:34 PM

Permanently Banned
There is nothing more obvious about the Molotov animation than the RNade one lol.
Are you having trouble spotting Rnade animation or something?
The audio of the launch is also distinctive, and due to the projectiles flight time, there is ample time to move even AFTER the RNade is launched.

No, the MG42 does not fulfill its role of a backline wide suppressor, primarily, because it doesnt even suppress in time. As Ive stated, by moving through incidental yellow cover, or simply by hitting Oorah and charging directly through the arc, or around it, flanking is a piece of cake. And the unit itself is only 2/3 as durable as a Maxim to dmg.

I laugh at MG42s as Sov. Literally. Its easy as pie to get at it, even when its supported.
Whats even funnier, is when I easily flank it, I dont even have to throw the Molotov to deposition it.
I just fake it and abort it if I see the desetup go off. Free depositiin while I DPS it,.
If Ost fails to move, I just finish the Molotov and laugh as half the unit spontaneously combusts.
I dont even need m3s to do it, Cons are completely sufficient for the easy task.

MG42 Suppression is 1s slower than Maxim. That alone should make it obvious how hard this unit fails in its role.
Not to mention how laughably easy it is to exploit that slower Suppression, with Oorah.
1 Dec 2013, 17:38 PM

How does it fulfill its role if it cant suppress one squad from the front if it even touches slight cover for a millisecond. Also whats the point of a mg with a wide arc when it cant even target things on the edges of the arc before they are running behind it. Mg42coh2 is nothing like mg42coh1, period. You could never run in the arc of an mg42 freely, period. Now, unless you are running across open territory, the mg42 cannot stop one squad from getting close and throwing explosives. The mg42 has all the drawbacks of a heavy crew served weapon with none of the benefits.
1 Dec 2013, 18:40 PM

Funny how this cry escalated only after we got beta leak saying that they are changing something in the next patch.

On the topic. If you use MG42 as a first line defence unit often left alone and unprotected then you will fail. When you use it as a second line defense then you will notice it's not that bad and all it needs is a small tweak. As someone above said majority of average German player want this unit to be the former invincible 1 man army. You can argue all day but there is a fact the when supported MG42 doesn't have any problems with stopping units charging head on even when they Hoorahing. There is this issue with enemies running through multiple yellow covers and it should be look at but I am sure this affects Maxim as well.
When I set up my MG42 behind my lines I don't have problems suppressing two squads although it requires me to right click next squad I want to be stopped.
Saying MG42 doesn't fulfill its role and calling it useless is a big exaggeration.
1 Dec 2013, 19:06 PM

Permanently Banned
MG42 easily fails to counter even a single Con in its arc for reasons I explained above.

No one wants it to be an "invincible 1man army", lol, talk about who is exagerrating?
Its not even 1 man. Its 4 man. (Two man less than Maxim).
Nice misreperesentation!

MG42 is unable to perform its wide backline supression role currently.

I laugh at it every time I see it as Sov. I own the hell out of it with a single Con.
I dont even need M3s, Mortars or Snipers which are supposed to be its primary counter.

1 Con is all I need.
1 Dec 2013, 19:20 PM

MG42 easily fails to counter even a single Con in its arc for reasons I explained above.

No one wants it to be an "invincible 1man army", lol, talk about who is exagerrating?
Its not even 1 man. Its 4 man. (Two man less than Maxim).
Nice misreperesentation!

MG42 is unable to perform its wide backline supression role currently.

I laugh at it every time I see it as Sov. I own the hell out of it with a single Con.
I dont even need M3s, Mortars or Snipers which are supposed to be its primary counter.

1 Con is all I need.

You have 12 game as a Soviet. Lol. Dont post anymore in balance topics.
1 Dec 2013, 19:33 PM

MG42 easily fails to counter even a single Con in its arc for reasons I explained above. [...]

This sentence is false.
1 Dec 2013, 21:03 PM

You know what, I'm just done with this shit. MG42 is fine by and large, it needs a suppression buff but it's far from useless. The .30 cal in COH is useless, the MG42 is COH2 is just a bit under-performing, and I have never seen evidence to the contrary. Except if Nullist's 12 games against noobs are the sort of evidence we can back up balance discussions with.

I've played against plenty of opponents who use the unit well. They support it, relocate it, keep it alive. If some German players can't be bothered to do it, tough luck. Blaming any losses you suffer on MG42s sucking says far more about the player sucking than on the unit. And that's the end of that.
1 Dec 2013, 21:11 PM

@The Courier

You know, I think the MG42 was fine...

Until you saw the 500MP patch where these days now, in the early game, you see upwards of 6 gren/con squads, meaning that crowd control is actually now an important thing.

What's the result? MG42 all of a sudden becomes unviable.
1 Dec 2013, 21:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2013, 21:11 PMhubewa
@The Courier

You know, I think the MG42 was fine...

Until you saw the 500MP patch where these days now, in the early game, you see upwards of 6 gren/con squads, meaning that crowd control is actually now an important thing.

What's the result? MG42 all of a sudden becomes unviable.

In team games is important lock fuel points. In 1v1 you have one near base. In 3v3 and 4v4 you must fight for fuel with enemy.
1 Dec 2013, 21:36 PM

Permanently Banned
It gonna get buffed to where it should be.
You gonna cry.
I gonna laugh.

Justice/balance will be done!
1 Dec 2013, 21:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2013, 21:24 PMAradan

In team games is important lock fuel points. In 1v1 you have one near base. In 3v3 and 4v4 you must fight for fuel with enemy.

All of the balance gets done in 1v1 games so we won't consider team games as much.

But seriously, why would you waste a unit right next to the base. Really, one place an MG would be great at would be near a cutoff.

A gren is much more costeffective. It doesn't have the area denial that a MG42 has but its still better than an MG42 placed near the base.
1 Dec 2013, 22:03 PM

It gonna get buffed to where it should be.
You gonna cry.
I gonna laugh.

Justice/balance will be done!

Breaking the NDA from the beta forums are you? If you're not in the beta, how the hell do you know what they are going to buff and not? I think you need to play more as Soviets before you speak about balance.

I can agree with that the MG42 needs a slight (very little) suppression buff but nothing more. The Maxim is fine.
1 Dec 2013, 22:31 PM

Funny how this cry escalated only after we got beta leak saying that they are changing something in the next patch.

On the topic. If you use MG42 as a first line defence unit often left alone and unprotected then you will fail. When you use it as a second line defense then you will notice it's not that bad and all it needs is a small tweak. As someone above said majority of average German player want this unit to be the former invincible 1 man army. You can argue all day but there is a fact the when supported MG42 doesn't have any problems with stopping units charging head on even when they Hoorahing. There is this issue with enemies running through multiple yellow covers and it should be look at but I am sure this affects Maxim as well.
When I set up my MG42 behind my lines I don't have problems suppressing two squads although it requires me to right click next squad I want to be stopped.
Saying MG42 doesn't fulfill its role and calling it useless is a big exaggeration.

You act as if noone ever uses the mg, and uses the mg with grens. I used the mg repeatedly till i gave up on it. Over and over cons or any other inf for that matter would just ignore my grens, run face front to mg and and throw explosives. People were complaining about this day 1 after the extensive nerf. It is useless when there is no point of building it instead of another gren squad. Mg42 has lack of firepower and lack of mobility. Its role now is to make soviet players feel better.
1 Dec 2013, 22:35 PM

You know what, I'm just done with this shit. MG42 is fine by and large, it needs a suppression buff but it's far from useless. The .30 cal in COH is useless, the MG42 is COH2 is just a bit under-performing, and I have never seen evidence to the contrary. Except if Nullist's 12 games against noobs are the sort of evidence we can back up balance discussions with.

I've played against plenty of opponents who use the unit well. They support it, relocate it, keep it alive. If some German players can't be bothered to do it, tough luck. Blaming any losses you suffer on MG42s sucking says far more about the player sucking than on the unit. And that's the end of that.

30 cal in coh had less suppression but if you were in front of it it would mow you down. I would take that any day over what the mg42 has become.
1 Dec 2013, 22:43 PM

Permanently Banned

Breaking the NDA from the beta forums are you? If you're not in the beta, how the hell do you know what they are going to buff and not? I think you need to play more as Soviets before you speak about balance.

I can agree with that the MG42 needs a slight (very little) suppression buff but nothing more. The Maxim is fine.

A) Youve already broken NDA several times yourself on these very boards.
B) You have 0 1v1s.
1 Dec 2013, 22:47 PM

A) Youve already broken NDA several times yourself on these very boards.

Have I? Please show me one single post I've made breaking the NDA without refering to a screen shot from Relics livestream.

B) You have 0 1v1s.

So? I played enough 1vs1 in vCoH and I was 16 as Americans. I still got more skills than you. If you don't believe me, please challenge me. You can pick the map, position and faction yourself. And since when is it stated by Relic that the balanced is 100% focused on 1vs1?

PAGES (13)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS