Login

russian armor

MG 42 The Most Useless Unit In The Game

PAGES (13)down
2 Dec 2013, 00:43 AM

As someone above said majority of average German player want this unit to be the former invincible 1 man army.

I heard this many times now... But always from Players who dont want the MG42 to be buffed, not from German Players :D Could you please stop spreading this?.

I wrote it several times now but again:
The former invincible state was because the MG wouldn't die even if you flanked it.
Now it dies easier, has less surpression + the bulletin was deleted, it needs much longer to turn (rendering the edges of the big arc almost useless).

You say yourself a little buff could be needed, so why don't we all agree on that?
2 Dec 2013, 01:58 AM

Where did I say I don't MG42 to be buffed?
2 Dec 2013, 10:03 AM

I played 3 or 4 german games yesterday. In none of them were there any problems supressing the first unit arriving.

Did any of the MGs die from Molotovs? Sure. When I had too short spotting or insufficient micro, they died before they could relocate or flee. WAD.

I find that the wide arc is a significant advantage. There are just so many more approaches you can cover fully with the MG42 where the maxim leaves critical gaps.

So even if supression might be inferior to the maxim, the overall value of the MG42 is not lower.
2 Dec 2013, 13:03 PM

I played 3 or 4 german games yesterday. In none of them were there any problems supressing the first unit arriving.

Did any of the MGs die from Molotovs? Sure. When I had too short spotting or insufficient micro, they died before they could relocate or flee. WAD.

I find that the wide arc is a significant advantage. There are just so many more approaches you can cover fully with the MG42 where the maxim leaves critical gaps.

So even if supression might be inferior to the maxim, the overall value of the MG42 is not lower.

I haven't tested this but I think that if you oorah before the MG fires, you don't get suppresed by the MG.

This is actually a problem.
2 Dec 2013, 13:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Dec 2013, 13:03 PMhubewa

I haven't tested this but I think that if you oorah before the MG fires, you don't get suppresed by the MG.

Sure, it might happen. But thats all situationally. Maybe a little bit more consistency would do the whole game good.

Regarding MG-42: I think its good enough. The AP-Rounds are great. Deals a whoooole lot of damage.
2 Dec 2013, 13:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Dec 2013, 13:03 PMhubewa

It would be if you are right. It would require more thorough testing to prove right or wrong.

In my experience this is not the case. But judging from play experience isn't enough because it can be hard to tell in the heat of the battle when the first round was fired.

I know for sure that cons doing oorah can be supressed, but if it depends on the time it was activated, I don't kknow.

Wrt. AP, I don't find it very usefull, because how often do you make it to vet 1 by the time M3s appear? That's gotta be very rare. Even by T70-time it must be hard.
2 Dec 2013, 14:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge

mg42 ap rounds are absolutely insane. but yes i agree the unit is UP currently.
2 Dec 2013, 14:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=disZ3FADxyQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUyUcNdOxXcVt3o9eZKdza9w

Could someone please point out where the MG42s were under performing in this game?
2 Dec 2013, 14:17 PM

The problem with buffing the Mg42 is that once it reaches vet2/3 it will have insane suppressing power.
2 Dec 2013, 14:24 PM

Permanently Banned
I'm just going to watch this thread. This is really funny.
2 Dec 2013, 14:29 PM

The problem with buffing the Mg42 is that once it reaches vet2/3 it will have insane suppressing power.

By that logic, you're basically saying the Maxim (and Dshk) is dealing insane suppression because of the 20% more suppression it gets at Vet2 and 20% rate of fire (also increases suppression by 20%) it gets at Vet3. The MG42 gets the same modifier as the other two HMGs.
This is assuming the MG42 gets buffed to roughly the same performance as the Maxim.

So it'd either affect all HMGs and the veterancy boni need to be adjusted or it'd be based on a horrible double standard that should have no place in the game's balance.
2 Dec 2013, 17:44 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Dec 2013, 13:10 PMAnarcy

Sure, it might happen. But thats all situationally. Maybe a little bit more consistency would do the whole game good.

Regarding MG-42: I think its good enough. The AP-Rounds are great. Deals a whoooole lot of damage.

We dont care about the Damage output of the MG, all we ask is a little suppression buff. Why people constantly try to avoid that fact and find other reasons why MG42 is good. Sure its good when the soviet player is retarded and just stands in the arc out of cover. But the fact that Maxim can suppress faster ruins everything. I mean if grens had the oorah ability fine I get it, it should suppress faster so you could call it somehow a balance. But Relic believes that cons should have ooorah and their maxim should suppress faster grens who don`t really have any ability except the doctrinal to run faster. Second of all stop with the discussion about molotov and riflenade. Most of the time the nade doesn`t kill shit but just takes some hp from the squad. And if you say otherwise then I don`t know how the fck you throw the nade. Molotovs though do periodic damage if you look at the fact that the MG 42 needs shitloads of time to move out of the fire then its technically retarded. But riflenade and molotovs are another topic I suppose.
Fact is a fact MG 42 needs a slight suppression buff everything else can stay the same. I will leave dushka out of the topic because that HMG is for soviets who go full retard. Although I agree that its easy to counter with a vet 3 mortar =)
2 Dec 2013, 17:53 PM

Also don't forget that maxim is a 6 man squad.

This also takes longer for sniper to kill

Longer for mortar to kill

Harder for rifle nade to work

The efficiency of the mg42 is one of the main reasons conscript spam is now so rampant.

2 Dec 2013, 17:57 PM
Patrion 26

Funny thing is sov fanbois assume we want the MG42 to be godlike again, and I will state it again no we don`t, we want it to be a Suppression tool, not a killing machine but just a fcking suppression tool.
2 Dec 2013, 18:09 PM

Where did I say I don't MG42 to be buffed?

Never o_O. Thats why I said: "You say yourself a little buff could be needed, so why don't we all agree on that?"

2 Dec 2013, 18:10 PM

Also don't forget that maxim is a 6 man squad.

This also takes longer for sniper to kill

Longer for mortar to kill

Harder for rifle nade to work

The efficiency of the mg42 is one of the main reasons conscript spam is now so rampant.

Which is why the german snipers fire faster

The german mortar fires faster

The rifle grenades have longer range

On a sidenote, Paranoia and other pro-MG42 buff people: Can you post a comment on the cast I posted? The german player used 2 MG42s in that match and they both seemed to work just fine.
2 Dec 2013, 18:13 PM
Patrion 26

Which is why the german snipers fire faster

The german mortar fires faster

The rifle grenades have longer range

On a sidenote, Paranoia and other pro-MG42 buff people: Can you post a comment on the cast I posted? The german player used 2 MG42s in that match and they both seemed to work just fine.

Because we are talking about 1 MG42 not 2....
I haven`t seen the cast (I am at work atm and Youtube is blocked =(.)
But if the players uses 2 MG42 together in a same area to supress the same blob, then its either you are trolling us or don`t get the point of what an MG42 should be.

On a side note. Why soviets got 2 models for a sniper? and Why they got the Sprint ability?
Why soviet mortars have precision stike?
Why molotovs do periodic damage?
I can ask you same dumb questions all night, cause your questions are dumb, if you can clarify wtf do you mean by your questions.
2 Dec 2013, 18:22 PM

Because we are talking about 1 MG42 not 2....
I haven`t seen the cast (I am at work atm and Youtube is blocked =(.)
But if the players uses 2 MG42 together in a same area to supress the same blob, then its either you are trolling us or don`t get the point of what an MG42 should be.

On a side note. Why soviets got 2 models for a sniper? and Why they got the Sprint ability?
Why soviet mortars have precision stike?
Why molotovs do periodic damage?
I can ask you same dumb questions all night, cause your questions are dumb, if you can clarify wtf do you mean by your questions.

None of the statement I made about the sniper, mortar, and rifle grenades were questions. So before you call my questions dumb, be sure I'm actually posting questions. My statements were in response to mister r7Bashy, who made statements about the survivalbilety of the 6-men maxim crew.

On the replay, please watch it before jumping to conclusions.
2 Dec 2013, 18:39 PM
Patrion 26

None of the statement I made about the sniper, mortar, and rifle grenades were questions. So before you call my questions dumb, be sure I'm actually posting questions. My statements were in response to mister r7Bashy, who made statements about the survivalbilety of the 6-men maxim crew.

On the replay, please watch it before jumping to conclusions.

About the video I said if, I didn`t jump to conclusion as I haven`t watched it, for a reason I stated above. Regarding 6 man crew survivability, they last longer than 4 man, and the speed at which a sniper shoots or the mortar doesnt affect it. Reason they can fcking retreat or reposition in case of a mortar barrage. Same goes for the german support units in some level. You can reposition after precision strike, because there is simply nothing to reposition anymore. MG42 or mortar can retreat after being shot by the sniper, but the amount of time it is required for them to de-setup causes them to take unneeded damage. (not sure if mortars de-setup at the same time for both factions).
3 Dec 2013, 10:40 AM

Funny thing is sov fanbois assume we want the MG42 to be godlike again, and I will state it again no we don`t, we want it to be a Suppression tool, not a killing machine but just a fcking suppression tool.

The point is, that even a small buff will get it back to an effective, stand-alone lock-down tool. No standard MG should be that.
PAGES (13)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 18
unknown 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak