Login

russian armor

How do you win in 1v1 in the current meta?

12 Sep 2022, 21:30 PM

I can hold my own pretty well, because for the past few months I have only been playing 3v3 Ostheer and desperately trying to get a positive W/R in 3v3 Ostheer, since it has always seemed impossible (for instance, when I was 30 wins from breaking even W/R, I was 250th in 3v3 overall, so breaking even would probably put me in top 100). But I have decided, that I don't understand the current Ostheer meta at all, so I have played a couple of 1v1s and got absolutely crushed (earlier-on I was keeping a decent win-loss, even getting as far as 4 wins in a row at times).

There seems to be no specific faction I am having trouble with, because the tactic for each of them currently, is to get a halftrack, that can supress you and mowing-down Grenadiers as they retreat to base. This is usually slightly before you can even get an AC out, as it was for me against a Brit last game. It was on Kholodny Ferma and I have held my fuel since the early beginning, then I cut his fuel too and suddenly he had a quad-mount going BRRRT all over my base. The game took less than three minutes and I've managed to ignore his attempt at taking my fuel with an MG + SMG Tommies and capture way more ground, before the M16 arrived.

USF shows up with their M15 a bit later, but the problem here is, that their Pathspam is unmanageable. Grenadiers are no counter to them, Panzergrenadiers neither (they cannot get close without losing 1/4th of their firepower or more and grenades are easily dodged by a more-skilled player).

If Soviets don't crush me with Penal spam early game (again, Grenadiers are a complete failure) and then it's the same story as with the Brits.

I know a lot of advanced tactics, I have played CoH since 2006 and since 2011 I have played it online, so don't bother with responses like "Use cover". I use all the cover I can get, provided the situation allows for it.

How I've beaten allied infantry early-on before, was with a quick 250 clowncar, but now that an M16 comes at the same time I tech-up and sometimes well-before I build my T2, it is an absolute waste of fuel and manpower.

Please update me on some effective strategies to counter the most popular overpowered meta plays for allies right now. I have played a lot of Soviets, but I haven't played Brits or USF much. I know what the other player is going to do, what point is he going to capture, where to expect mines, but I can't seem to be able to find a way of stopping it. Some training sessions would be nice as well.

Alternatively, I can just wait until COH3 comes-out. It doesen't seem to look that bad, at least there's no Community unbalance team.
14 Sep 2022, 12:00 PM

The """""""""""""""Meta"""""""""""""""""" for 1v1 is 3t0 inf to mg to mortar (optional) to atg to 1 elite inf to medium tank to rocket arty to heavy tank.

The rest boils down to practice and nerve wracking micro management (the reason I will never play 1v1 seriously).

As for your post, you mention using panzergrenadiers that are not in the "meta" (again that's ridiculous in a game like coh2 but whatever). If you want to go that way, you have to skip t0, focus on 2 engi 2 mgs early game to pzgrens to halftrack but that's easy to destroy vs competent people.

Halftrack should only be used with flamethrower against british emplacements or if you find a player dumb enough to never carry around snare infantry (Pathspammer for example). In 99% of other cases, a 252 can do the job.

COH2 is a game about combined arms. Try to master the basic premise of
3xBasic infantry
1xForce multiplier (MG or Mortar depending on what enemy uses)
1xLight Vehicle again as force multiplier
1xATG to fend off LV rushes
1xElite infantry to make pushes and hit important units
1xMedium tank to turn the tide
1xATG to fend off defensive tanks (TDs, especially self propelled atgs from sov)
14 Sep 2022, 16:35 PM

Posting a replay always helps- otherwise it's a lot of guessing with if you're having a build order/strategy problem or a micro problem.

Generally speaking if you're having trouble with Quad Mounts or USF AA halftrack then you're going to want at least 1 222. (1V1 in general often comes down to light vehicle pressure). A single 222 won't straight up win against either vehicle but it does a lot to keep them honest using it since you can damage it and force repairs (or if you're doing well finish it off after a snare or 1 ATG hit.) The extra mobility of the 222 also keeps them from just avoiding your single PAK gun. Obviously prepare for the the possible Stuart/AEC/T70 follow-up but the 222 is all about stabilizing your early-mid game and not letting the Quad pressure snowball against you too badly.

Double 222 is an option if you want to go for the kill (easier if they don't have many snares or if you are sneaky and hold the first 222 back for max shock value)
16 Sep 2022, 13:43 PM

Posting a replay always helps- otherwise it's a lot of guessing with if you're having a build order/strategy problem or a micro problem.

Generally speaking if you're having trouble with Quad Mounts or USF AA halftrack then you're going to want at least 1 222. (1V1 in general often comes down to light vehicle pressure). A single 222 won't straight up win against either vehicle but it does a lot to keep them honest using it since you can damage it and force repairs (or if you're doing well finish it off after a snare or 1 ATG hit.) The extra mobility of the 222 also keeps them from just avoiding your single PAK gun. Obviously prepare for the the possible Stuart/AEC/T70 follow-up but the 222 is all about stabilizing your early-mid game and not letting the Quad pressure snowball against you too badly.

Double 222 is an option if you want to go for the kill (easier if they don't have many snares or if you are sneaky and hold the first 222 back for max shock value)

Correct.

In 1v1 terms a 222 somewhat offsets the purely defensive position Wehrmacht has in the opening by allowing some pressure to be put against enemy.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS