Login

russian armor

USF build order question

2 Jun 2022, 13:40 PM

Hi, I recently came back to USF after playing Soviets, Ostheer and Brits. I am trying to figure out just how the f**k am I supposed to play them? More specifically, how the f**ck do I even survive the early game? So far, I have tried either going 3x Rifle into LT and Stuart, or 2x Rifle 1x RE with Rifle Company into LT and Stuart. Suffice to say, the results are not good.

Against OKW, I just get straight-up manhandled by their infantry. It arrives quicker, it´s cheaper, better at range, and far more versatile than mine. Is there some way to get around this, or do Rifles just suck? Even after playing Conscripts and Grens, I honestly can´t believe just how bad Riflemen are in comparison. Their long-range DPS is atrocious, and trying to close in usually just leads to bleeding a lot of manpower for no reason. They can´t even build their own cover for the most part. Not that it would help, because Volks and Grens usually win at range even against heavy cover.

Against Ostheer, the infantry is less of an issue (at least early on), but the MG-42 just seems impossible to beat. I tried getting an early mortar out, but I find that with how expensive Riflemen are, and how much they bleed against Grens, it really messes up my tech timing because of manpower shortage. And things get no better later on. Once the Grens get their LMGs, they absolutely destroy Riflemen trying to close the gap. I tried going for Stuart, but it just seems to do nothing unless the squad is on negative cover, and very close at the same time.

I would appreciate any build order or commander advice.
3 Jun 2022, 10:49 AM

Try going 3 Pathfinders to Scott.
3 Jun 2022, 11:01 AM

Hi mediev,

I'm by no means a pro but I can give you some hints I think (if you are speaking about 1v1).

It's true, rifles are worse then volks and grens at range so you wanna try to fight up close but that is usually easier said than done. If you charge volk/gren in cover, you are gonna lose.
I found out some good results with rifle company cause it gives your RE access to flamer which is vital. Then try to push OKW's blob with your blob, you should win. OKW can be scarry and agressive early game cause of their scarry Spios. Rifle company is also very good cause it enables your rifles to build mines and green cover - both are very important!

Against ostheer, it's quite simple - flank the mg.
If he has good micro, try to go for mortar (if you didn't bleed too much manpower).
Stuart is kidna meh I think, if opponent builds a LV (222, flak ht, luchs) then go for it, otherwise stuart's AI is not good so most of the time I just skip it and go for bar upgrade instead or .50 cal.

(surprise) nades can also work and give you an edge.

Besides Rifle company, Airborne is also pretty good for dropped .50cals and dropped ATguns. Airborne are also very good and so is late game AT strafe.
3 Jun 2022, 11:18 AM

Hi mediev,

I'm by no means a pro but I can give you some hints I think (if you are speaking about 1v1).

It's true, rifles are worse then volks and grens at range so you wanna try to fight up close but that is usually easier said than done. If you charge volk/gren in cover, you are gonna lose.
I found out some good results with rifle company cause it gives your RE access to flamer which is vital. Then try to push OKW's blob with your blob, you should win. OKW can be scarry and agressive early game cause of their scarry Spios. Rifle company is also very good cause it enables your rifles to build mines and green cover - both are very important!

If he has good micro, try to go for mortar (if you didn't bleed too much manpower).
Stuart is kidna meh I think, if opponent builds a LV (222, flak ht, luchs) then go for it, otherwise stuart's AI is not good so most of the time I just skip it and go for bar upgrade instead or .50 cal.

Besides Rifle company, Airborne is also pretty good for dropped .50cals and dropped ATguns. Airborne are also very good and so is late game AT strafe.

TIPS GOOD !
3 Jun 2022, 12:44 PM

Try going 3 Pathfinders to Scott.

I am not sure about that one. Going straight for indirect fire with no snares just seems like suicide in 1v1.
3 Jun 2022, 12:49 PM

Hi mediev,

OK, so what´s the build order, for example with Rifle Company? Should I go for 3 Rifles, or 2x Rifles and 2x REs? I find that flamethrowers are really only good when you can merge into them like the Soviets can. In my experience, my REs with flamer just get focused down, or the enemy simply leaves cover and beats them that way, because their rifles are so trash. Also, I am not sure that I can win blob vs. blob, especially once Obers start coming out. I have tried several times, and got owned every time.

I have also been experimenting with 2x Rifles, LT, .50 cal and Rangers with Urban Assault, and I got some decent results. I usually get a 2nd .50 cal after the Rangers, put Zooks on my LT and my RE squad, and try to get a Sherman out asap. Normally, the Sherman wouldn´t be worth it, but the bulldozer blade really helps to make the Sherman a bit less squishy, so it can defend itself at least somewhat against the P4.
3 Jun 2022, 13:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jun 2022, 12:44 PMmediev

I am not sure about that one. Going straight for indirect fire with no snares just seems like suicide in 1v1.

how much have you actually been paying attention to coh2.org
3 Jun 2022, 13:47 PM

how much have you actually been paying attention to coh2.org

I know that Pathfinders are good at long range, and I know some players use them in team games, but for 1v1, I think it just leaves you incredibly vulnerable. Basically one good P4 push and you´re done.
7 Jun 2022, 05:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jun 2022, 12:49 PMmediev

OK, so what´s the build order, for example with Rifle Company? Should I go for 3 Rifles, or 2x Rifles and 2x REs? I find that flamethrowers are really only good when you can merge into them like the Soviets can. In my experience, my REs with flamer just get focused down, or the enemy simply leaves cover and beats them that way, because their rifles are so trash. Also, I am not sure that I can win blob vs. blob, especially once Obers start coming out. I have tried several times, and got owned every time.

I have also been experimenting with 2x Rifles, LT, .50 cal and Rangers with Urban Assault, and I got some decent results. I usually get a 2nd .50 cal after the Rangers, put Zooks on my LT and my RE squad, and try to get a Sherman out asap. Normally, the Sherman wouldn´t be worth it, but the bulldozer blade really helps to make the Sherman a bit less squishy, so it can defend itself at least somewhat against the P4.

Personally, I never go more than 1 (starting) RE...even with flamer...I go 3x rifle + LT.
Then if he blobs, I go nades + .50 cal.
Rangers are expensive but can work good with thompsons.
He can't get obers before 8-10 minutes, until then you should already have some vet on your rifles and a .50 cal or two.
Personally, I found that (regular) sherman vs P4J is usually just a pain in the ass. I go for sherman only if I know I had better fuel control, in most situations though, I think it's just better to go for jackson.
14 Jul 2022, 03:09 AM

UKF and USF are both a mess but for the first time I think UKF is actually a lot worse. USF's only viable strategy and doctrine is to go Airborne and forego Riflemen all together and depend on Pathfinders and REs at the start of the game, tech to CPT for the AAHT. Riflemen don't counter Grens or Volks very well despite being much more expensive. Pathfinders aren't a great combat unit either but they give you the sight bonuses which helps you to counter all the cheap readily available units like HMG42s your opponents will have.

Teching to CPT works because it will give you access to the (nerfed of course) Packhowtizer and AAHT, both of which you'll need to counter blobbed Grens and Volks.

Later in the game you'll depend on Paratroopers and Jacksons.

It's literally the ONLY thing that isn't easily countered by OKW and OST.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★