Login

russian armor

AI bug !

29 Jan 2022, 14:22 PM

I found that the AI in coh2 fight in the same battle, the longer time continue, the more serious AI problems happened. Especially in the later stage, AI becomes more and more stupid with the passage of time. I don't know whether it is because the game company deliberately designs it or AI is really tired in the later.So I did an test. In the same battle of coh2, I play for 10 minutes each time, and save it, and then turn off the computer, After 1 hour, load again and continue to play for 10 minutes, then save and turn off the computer,and after 1 hour, load,and continue the previous operation. Then I found that the capacity of each archive file will be larger than before.I didn't find such a problem in other games, but only in relic's games. I think this is also a big bug,this bug is not good for players who like to fight protracted war and tug of war with AI. I know that many players like protracted war and tug of war, including me and my friends. I really hope you will fix this problem so that it does not reminisce into COH3.
30 Jan 2022, 10:05 AM

Coh2 ai is stupid. Coh1 ai was alot better
30 Jan 2022, 15:01 PM

It'd be interesting if the playback feature led to reduced ai capabilities in lategame 🤭
11 Feb 2022, 12:25 PM

In addition, I have been testing coh2 recently. I finally found the reason why the archive capacity of coh2 will grow larger and larger for no reason.The previous RTS game save system only saved the present situation and did not save the battle process. This is good. In this way, you can play a game as long as you want. AI will not become dull and stupid and bug due to the larger and larger archive. But when I play COH2, I find that the save mechanism of COH2 is actually the save the process of the battle. Why do I say so? Because when I play a game of battle and save, then quit the game, turn off the computer, and then play again next time, I find that AI becomes stupid and bugs appear earlier and earlier. So I did an experiment: when playing the same game of battle, I played for 20 minutes every time, then saved, then shut down the computer, let the computer rest for 1 hour, then read the archive, and then continue to play for 3 minutes, and deliberately let my troops be destroyed by the enemy, and a large number of them die together with the enemy, which reduced the number of enemy and our units on the battlefield, I did this to reduce the number of enemy and our units on the battlefield before saving, so as to eliminate the possibility of increasing the archive capacity caused by too many enemy and our units.And I was surprised to find that the archive capacity I played only for 3 minutes with a large reduce of unit number,was 2600 KB larger than the archive capacity I played for 20 minutes before, so I understand, The archiving of COH2 is not save the end of the battle, but the whole process of battle!This is very bad. First of all, the archive capacity is very large, usually more than 60000kb. In the later stage of the battle, it will cause AI to become stupid and bug. The game is more and more easy to jump out and other strange phenomena and Bugs will happen, which will destroy the game experience. I hope this bad save mechanism can be changed in COH3,the save mechanism shouldn't save the battle process, but save the battle present situation.
11 Feb 2022, 13:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

In addition, I have been testing coh2 recently. I finally found the reason why the archive capacity of coh2 will grow larger and larger for no reason.The previous RTS game save system only saved the present situation and did not save the battle process. This is good. In this way, you can play a game as long as you want. AI will not become dull and stupid and bug due to the larger and larger archive. But when I play COH2, I find that the save mechanism of COH2 is actually the save the process of the battle. Why do I say so? Because when I play a game of battle and save, then quit the game, turn off the computer, and then play again next time, I find that AI becomes stupid and bugs appear earlier and earlier. So I did an experiment: when playing the same game of battle, I played for 20 minutes every time, then saved, then shut down the computer, let the computer rest for 1 hour, then read the archive, and then continue to play for 3 minutes, and deliberately let my troops be destroyed by the enemy, and a large number of them die together with the enemy, which reduced the number of enemy and our units on the battlefield, I did this to reduce the number of enemy and our units on the battlefield before saving, so as to eliminate the possibility of increasing the archive capacity caused by too many enemy and our units.And I was surprised to find that the archive capacity I played only for 3 minutes with a large reduce of unit number,was 2600 KB larger than the archive capacity I played for 20 minutes before, so I understand, The archiving of COH2 is not save the end of the battle, but the whole process of battle!This is very bad. First of all, the archive capacity is very large, usually more than 60000kb. In the later stage of the battle, it will cause AI to become stupid and bug. The game is more and more easy to jump out and other strange phenomena and Bugs will happen, which will destroy the game experience. I hope this bad save mechanism can be changed in COH3,the save mechanism shouldn't save the battle process, but save the battle present situation.

I think this stems from how the replay feature works. The game does not save any state of the units, but player inputs etc and based on this simulates the battle how you experienced it.
I assume since Relic wants to also have the replay for Bot games, they just used the same mechanism for save games. Otherwise you'd need to keep both the replay file as well as the save game in seperate files. Which is possible, but somehow double the work.

I don't fully understand yet though how this should influence the AI. Do you have any ideas? The game itself might become buggy, yes, but not fully sure how this influences the AI, especially after rather short games.
Could you also elaborate what you mean by "the AI becomes more and more stupid"? The AI is always stupid, even on the hardest difficulty. Apart from some rare and surprisingly coordinated pushes, it mostly forgets its squads on the front line and lets them die.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★