Login

russian armor

Can't change water colour

3 Nov 2020, 15:13 PM

Hello guys,

i have a problem with the water setting. I can change the waves. But the colour of the water is not changing.
I select a "colour"/ "scenario" from the water colour drop down menue but when I hit "apply" nothing changes.

Did I do something wrong? I only have the clear standard water.

Thanks for the help.

3 Nov 2020, 17:53 PM

The DEPTH field is the key entry to the water color. If the water is very shallow like 1m deep you will want the DEPTH set to 1m or less. Basically DEPTH < than the actual distance between water and terrain.

You could say COH2 has 3 FOG effects in game:
1) Normal Fog: Distance between you and object drawn.
2) Height/Ground Fog: Distance between terrain and object being drawn.
3) Water Color: similar to ground fog except amount of fog is distance between water and terrain.

The water color effect is basically this FOG calculation.
Color = Clear 0%(0m) to Opaque 100%(DEPTH)

3 Nov 2020, 19:37 PM

The DEPTH field is the key entry to the water color. If the water is very shallow like 1m deep you will want the DEPTH set to 1m or less. Basically DEPTH < than the actual distance between water and terrain.

You could say COH2 has 3 FOG effects in game:
1) Normal Fog: Distance between you and object drawn.
2) Height/Ground Fog: Distance between terrain and object being drawn.
3) Water Color: similar to ground fog except amount of fog is distance between water and terrain.

The water color effect is basically this FOG calculation.
Color = Clear 0%(0m) to Opaque 100%(DEPTH)

Honstley...i do not understand. When I have a depth of 5 then the water is clear.When I change it to 1 the water is blue. I thought water colour is something with dirt or green swampy or something like that.
3 Nov 2020, 21:43 PM

Basic Graphics principle:
FOG is when you blend two pixels based on distance:
Pixel 1 is the color of the dot on the screen normally.
Pixel 2 is the FOG blend color you select.

At a close distance you will see 100% of pixel 1 and 0% of pixel 2. FINAL COLOR
At 50% distance you will see 50% of pixel 1 and 50% of pixel 2. FINAL COLOR
At a far distance you will see 0% of pixel 1 and 100% of pixel 2. FINAL COLOR

COH2 EXAMPLE
The farther away we look we see all drawn objects becoming grey. Grey is the FOG blend color.

COH2 lets you set the minimum and maximum distances for fog calculations. Generic numbers are like 25m and 300m. So nothing gets FOG if closer than 25m. Things from 25-300m are blended with the blend ratio being DISTANCE/MAX DISTANCE. Anything after 300m is just the FOG blend color.

COH2 WATER

The water in COH2 is a FOG effect generically.
The MINIMUM distance is the water level set in the WATER object dialog.
The MAXIMUM distance is set in the terrain dialog as DEPTH.

In the example above the water is at level 7.7m and the lowest terrain is at 4m.
So objects/terrain drawn at 7.7m are drawn with 0% blending of the FOG blend color (Water color).
Objects are then blended by the blend ratio of distance from the water surface (7.7m).

Blend Ratio = (WaterY-PixelY)/(WaterY-DepthY)
Ratio is clipped to a number between 0 and 1 (0% and 100%)

So objects at the surface are not blended. Objects below the surface are blended. Objects below WaterY and Depth are 100% water color.

The deepest darkest water will be the WATER COLOR you setup in the terrain dialog. In this example it is a dark brown color. WATER COLOR
4 Nov 2020, 07:06 AM

Basic Graphics principle:
FOG is when you blend two pixels based on distance:
Pixel 1 is the color of the dot on the screen normally.
Pixel 2 is the FOG blend color you select.

At a close distance you will see 100% of pixel 1 and 0% of pixel 2. FINAL COLOR
At 50% distance you will see 50% of pixel 1 and 50% of pixel 2. FINAL COLOR
At a far distance you will see 0% of pixel 1 and 100% of pixel 2. FINAL COLOR

COH2 EXAMPLE
The farther away we look we see all drawn objects becoming grey. Grey is the FOG blend color.

COH2 lets you set the minimum and maximum distances for fog calculations. Generic numbers are like 25m and 300m. So nothing gets FOG if closer than 25m. Things from 25-300m are blended with the blend ratio being DISTANCE/MAX DISTANCE. Anything after 300m is just the FOG blend color.

COH2 WATER

The water in COH2 is a FOG effect generically.
The MINIMUM distance is the water level set in the WATER object dialog.
The MAXIMUM distance is set in the terrain dialog as DEPTH.

In the example above the water is at level 7.7m and the lowest terrain is at 4m.
So objects/terrain drawn at 7.7m are drawn with 0% blending of the FOG blend color (Water color).
Objects are then blended by the blend ratio of distance from the water surface (7.7m).

Blend Ratio = (WaterY-PixelY)/(WaterY-DepthY)
Ratio is clipped to a number between 0 and 1 (0% and 100%)

So objects at the surface are not blended. Objects below the surface are blended. Objects below WaterY and Depth are 100% water color.

The deepest darkest water will be the WATER COLOR you setup in the terrain dialog. In this example it is a dark brown color. WATER COLOR

thank you very much. I have a clue now. but i still do not get it. I do not understand what I have to change to change the colour. When I change the depth then the colour changes from clrear to blue. do i have to change the water level as well? what about max object distance from water?

Also the drp down "Wate colour" does not change a thing. I select windmap_XXX and nothing changes.

4 Nov 2020, 10:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2020, 07:06 AMknox85
I do not understand what I have to change to change the colour.

You will want to change DEEP WATER COLOR. That is the Fog/Water Blend Color.
Picking a color brighter than 64 usually creates some weird looking water. Relics code for water lightens things in the water.

For the examples I showed pictures for the dark brown color used was:
R: 35
G: 27
B: 20

So you set DEEP WATER COLOR and then adjust the DEPTH until you get the murkiness of the water you want. And start around the distance between the water and the lowest terrain value. Hint: you can get the distances using SAMPLE in the terrain editor.

I do not think WATER COLOR or MAX DISTANCE do much from what I can tell. But I am noob.

Hope that helps.
4 Nov 2020, 14:43 PM

You will want to change DEEP WATER COLOR. That is the Fog/Water Blend Color.
Picking a color brighter than 64 usually creates some weird looking water. Relics code for water lightens things in the water.

For the examples I showed pictures for the dark brown color used was:
R: 35
G: 27
B: 20

So you set DEEP WATER COLOR and then adjust the DEPTH until you get the murkiness of the water you want. And start around the distance between the water and the lowest terrain value. Hint: you can get the distances using SAMPLE in the terrain editor.

I do not think WATER COLOR or MAX DISTANCE do much from what I can tell. But I am noob.

Hope that helps.

YESSSS...thank you very much guys
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight