Login

russian armor

[CoH 1] How do I edit Relic models using Object Editor?

28 May 2020, 10:04 AM

Hello everyone! As the title suggests, is there any "legendary" modder here who still know how to properly use Object Editor and the other 3D modding tools? Most of the old Relic Archives are gone and I'm looking for some advise, as I do modding on my own

Object Editor has been a pain for me to try and understand. As far as I know, I've also had people tell me that you can't edit Relic .rgos, but somehow it was possible before?

Eliw00d, if you get to see this, I've been trying to follow this old tutorial of yours, but I could not continue on from Step 2 as I find it quite confusing

http://web.archive.org/web/20140916063826/http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?245057-Tutorial-Advanced-Model-Mixing
28 May 2020, 14:18 PM

Hi
Although I'm not a Senior Modder I did find old documentation for the Object Editor that might be able to help you.
Community Object Editor Documentation
28 May 2020, 22:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge

You can edit Relic .rgo files but the trick is you need a custom .rgm file with the same name as the .rgo you are trying to edit. It's been so long so I don't remember everything, but that might get you closer.
29 May 2020, 05:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2020, 22:48 PMeliw00d
You can edit Relic .rgo files but the trick is you need a custom .rgm file with the same name as the .rgo you are trying to edit. It's been so long so I don't remember everything, but that might get you closer.

Hmm, I tried using custom .rgms and changing its name to be the same as the one I want to edit, but it turns into an abyss. Like as I open it, the original model of the custom rgm appears there instead with a broken cluster of its vehicle states. Someone used to upload an empty .rgm file on the old forums just for that, but the link for it is broken :(

If I can find that guy, whoever it was, maybe just by chance he/she still has that file somewhere.

Hi
Although I'm not a Senior Modder I did find old documentation for the Object Editor that might be able to help you.
Community Object Editor Documentation

I found this the same day I posted this question actually, sadly it only shows how to open a custom model with the rgm trick.

I really appreciate the help from the both of you, I've been doing CoH 1 modding for over a year on my own and during my own free time.
29 May 2020, 21:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Yeah, you have to manually fix all the meshes. It can be somewhat painstaking but that is what I remember having to do. It also depends on what you are trying to do. There were some Relic models that could be imported and then re-exported from 3DS Max 7/8 that worked well with the Object Editor.

If I have time I'll try to dig through my CoH1 stuff and see what I can find.
30 May 2020, 07:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2020, 21:35 PMeliw00d
Yeah, you have to manually fix all the meshes. It can be somewhat painstaking but that is what I remember having to do. It also depends on what you are trying to do. There were some Relic models that could be imported and then re-exported from 3DS Max 7/8 that worked well with the Object Editor.

If I have time I'll try to dig through my CoH1 stuff and see what I can find.

That would be really nice and helpful if ever you can. I'm keeping myself busy with another game anyway so no need to rush :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★